DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member

I know we give out a lot

About young fellas in the gym. Last night I was working out in my local gym and there was a young fella there 18 or so. To be fair he was fairly dedicated was lean and had decent muscle mass on him to be fair. He was struggling to get some DB's up for shoulder pressing so I went over and helped him. I felt bad for him as I train on my own too and have been there and done that a lot where no one helps you when all you need is that tiny push to help you get the reps outta it.

To be fair to the chap, he said thanks and then started talking to me asking Q's etc. Was giving him advice and he was actually taking it and listening compared to the younger crowd you generally see. Makes a nice change to meet someone like that.

lstbred is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes it happens, you actually meet a nice guy who wants to learn and doesnt "I know it all bro" lol

DCI
    Yeh, exactly, he was asking me about shrugs. I use reverse grip shrugs it's way better for hitting shoulders than normal grip and he was asking about them and a few other exercises I was doing. And actually took in the info was good to see.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    About a year ago a young (21) year old El Salvadorian kid started in the gym. The kid was big 5'11 230ish. Quite big compared to the average latino's coming in and benching and curling every day. This kid had great genetics and traps I would have died to have.

He watches me out of the corner of hi eye for a cpl weeks and finally decides to talk to me about protein or some crap. The questions just poured in from there. I made him my workout partner for about 6 months. His youth and vigor motivated me and inpired me and I helped him put on about 15lbs solid in 6 months.

Like most workout partners I have had he didnt last but I reaslly appreciated his willingness to learn and motivation at his age.

DCI
    Yeh, there is too many moaning threads on here about young chaps being dicks. Yes, there is plenty of them out there. To be honest, last night was bicep night I think for all the wannabe's out there but he was sound. I doubt, I'll be training with the chap as I will be there late evenings really.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post
    Yeh, exactly, he was asking me about shrugs. I use reverse grip shrugs it's way better for hitting shoulders than normal grip and he was asking about them and a few other exercises I was doing. And actually took in the info was good to see.
    reverse grip huh? never thought of that!

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    reverse grip huh? never thought of that!
    Try it man, it's unreal One of my Eastern European buds showed me stops you using your arms and makes your grip way stronger.

Yeh, there is too many moaning threads on here about young chaps being dicks. Yes, there is plenty of them out there. To be honest, last night was bicep night I think for all the wannabe's out there but he was sound. I doubt, I'll be training with the chap as I will be there late evenings really.
    Sometimes you just have to give them a chance..hell there of even some gtg 19 year olds on here that have a solid head on their shoulders!

Try it man, it's unreal One of my Eastern European buds showed me stops you using your arms and makes your grip way stronger.
    will do!

this is off topic but wondering if any of yall have ever had a prob with pain on the inside of the elbow that radiates into the forearm? i dont know if i have the beginning of tendonitis or what? its startn to suck a little. mainly with curls and pull ups and rows. all pulling exercises..

will do!

this is off topic but wondering if any of yall have ever had a prob with pain on the inside of the elbow that radiates into the forearm? i dont know if i have the beginning of tendonitis or what? its startn to suck a little. mainly with curls and pull ups and rows. all pulling exercises..
    YES..I have had it for months. Look up Golfers elbow. Honestly rest is the only thing I have found helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    YES..I have had it for months. Look up Golfers elbow. Honestly rest is the only thing I have found helps.
    i dont have time for rest man! thought about using straps for pulling exercises to take some of the tension off the grip??

DCI
    Sometimes you just have to give them a chance..hell there of even some gtg 19 year olds on here that have a solid head on their shoulders!
    There is all right. I was the same when I was his age, there to learn not to think I know everything in the world. Some of the other lads in the car comical, I was shaking my head at one of them the other day was mental what he was doing and trying to lift. 100lb Dumbbells and he was only moving them literally an inch.

will do!

Never had that personally, but had sore elbows once but changed my style for benching and seems to be fine now.

As long as I didnt to specific curling exercises it wasn't too bad but if I did then the pain was quite bad. My understanding is that much damage including tearing of the connecting ligimints can occur if it's not rested. Like I said I beleive it's refered to as Golfer Elbow if you wnat to research (and I know you always do 0

As long as I didnt to specific curling exercises it wasn't too bad but if I did then the pain was quite bad. My understanding is that much damage including tearing of the connecting ligimints can occur if it's not rested. Like I said I beleive it's refered to as Golfer Elbow if you wnat to research (and I know you always do 0
    yeh ive already done some looking! what a freaking pain in the butt! i gotta lift man i dont have time to be injured! i my just not do curls for a little while. theyll get hit indirectly anyways and i really dont do a lot of curling anyways. i also think i may use straps on pulling exercises. and ill prob make appt with orthopedic doc. i saw where ice and heat helps. will prob try that.

yeh ive already done some looking! what a freaking pain in the butt! i gotta lift man i dont have time to be injured! i my just not do curls for a little while. theyll get hit indirectly anyways and i really dont do a lot of curling anyways. i also think i may use straps on pulling exercises. and ill prob make appt with orthopedic doc. i saw where ice and heat helps. will prob try that.
    Let me know what you come up with. I have been fighting it for a year.

have u seen this?

http://www.aidmytenniselbow.com/?REF=GTennisElbow

its about $500.00 LOL..

Let me know what you come up with. I have been fighting it for a year.
    u been able to lift regularly though without long periods of time off?

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    See I'm not younger but don't look my age either. But even years ago and still to this day. I get guys that actually say NO when u ask them for a spot.

I've been working out solo for 3+ years now.

Some of the bigger guys in the gym I wouldn't even think about asking a question.

My only partner now is my fiancé and she's only with me 2-3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by goode80 View Post
    See I'm not younger but don't look my age either. But even years ago and still to this day. I get guys that actually say NO when u ask them for a spot.

Some of the bigger guys in the gym I wouldn't even think about asking a question.

wow really?? ive never had a problem but i have only askd for a spot less than 5 times. i work out alone always. prefer it.. other people get in my way..

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member

wow really?? ive never had a problem but i have only askd for a spot less than 5 times. i work out alone always. prefer it.. other people get in my way..
    I agree but some lifts need just the lift to get the weight off.

For example: bb shoulder press ( awkward positioning )
    Db shoulder press if I'm pushing 80+ db

u been able to lift regularly though without long periods of time off?
    I have had to take a month off here and there when it has gotten bad. I have laid off of the specific curling type of exercises and stuck to compound lifts mainly. It is feeling much better but still is sore . I can tell it would not take much to agrivate it, frankly it agrivates ME lol.

Also I have managed to find that if I change my angles this way and that I can take some pressure off!

Quote Originally Posted by goode80 View Post

This is rediculious! I have NEVER said no to a spot and never been told no! Although I am kinda anal about who spots me because I like it done in a certain way. PPL like that should be excommunicated from the gym lol

milky01623 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---

Dude I have exactly the same prob I've rested it by not doing bb curls or any lifts where it starts to twinge I now do concentration curls with a lesser weight I found a link on here but can't recall which thread it was
    But believe me I feel so much better and my biceps are fuller :-)

capetown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1

This is rediculious! I have NEVER said no to a spot and never been told no! Although I am kinda anal about who spots me because I like it done in a certain way. PPL like that should be excommunicated from the gym lol
    I can only handle certain people spotting me as well. What part of" dont touch the bar until i ask is so hard" then when i do give the word, it does not mean take the weight away from me. Lol. I handed a guy 2 pencils once. He was so confused. He got over excited and thought he had to lift the bar off me using them and broke one. Scaring himself because of a pencil break, he grabs the bar like it was attacking me. Lol. I havent thought about that in a long time. Im roaring while i type this. It was one of those" had to be there" things. I can still see buddies face expression. Baaashaaaa.

Quote Originally Posted by capetown View Post
    I can only handle certain people spotting me as well. What part of" dont touch the bar until i ask is so hard" then when i do give the word, it does not mean take the weight away from me. Lol. I handed a guy 2 pencils once. He was so confused. He got over excited and thought he had to lift the bar off me using them and broke one. Scaring himself because of a pencil break, he grabs the bar like it was attacking me. Lol. I havent thought about that in a long time. Im roaring while i type this. It was one of those" had to be there" things. I can still see buddies face expression. Baaashaaaa.
    I'm feeling a thread coming on lol.

DCI
    I've trained on my own for the last 3 yrs and I kinda prefer it too. As sometimes training with someone can take way more time than normal.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Sorry to kind of hijack - but how do reverse grip shrugs target shoulders/delts?

DCI
    Like as if you where deadlifting assume that is what you are getting at?

Live for the PUMP is offline Senior Member
    will do!

I have been fighting this for years. Only thing that works is giving it rest that I have found. Let me know if find any other remedies. Unfortunately for me after it goes away I do something to make it come back, (probably a jerky weight pull..). I'm like you right now and just working through it. F taking time off! I am on cycle for heaven's sake.

Thread Information