Thread: Thailand

ddp2727 is offline Associate Member

Thailand

Alright, I've read enough of the post where every male member that lives there loves it. My question is how the hell can I find work there? Is it mostly degree work, construction, office, health field, etc?

I'm seriously looking into giving that country a shot but I wanna make sure I can make it over there before I just jump ship.

Thanks guys!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Work, forget it. Only way to work there is if you are married and then she has to own the majority of the company and if anything ever happens (you split up) you get nothing. Most people own bars, restaurants, hotels etc. The other people who work and live there work on the off shore stuff like rigs.

Join the pattayasecrets forum and you can talk to a lot of guys who live there and help you learn the ropes quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Work, forget it. Only way to work there is if you are married and then she has to own the majority of the company and if anything ever happens (you split up) you get nothing. Most people own bars, restaurants, hotels etc. The other people who work and live there work on the off shore stuff like rigs.

Join the pattayasecrets forum and you can talk to a lot of guys who live there and help you learn the ropes quickly.
    I'll join that forum for certain. But you are mainly saying its a better place to visit/retire right?

Yes unless you work somewhere nearby such as off shore or you want to own a bar, club, restaurant but then you still have to know all the ins and out and expect to pay our tea money to the police or get shut down and like I said, you dont really own it anyways, your wife would.

Yes it's a great place to retire or visit. I was leaning towards Thailand for retirement but have changed my sites to Philippines due to that is where the wife is from and she forbids me to go to Thailand anymore. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Yes unless you work somewhere nearby such as off shore or you want to own a bar, club, restaurant but then you still have to know all the ins and out and expect to pay our tea money to the police or get shut down and like I said, you dont really own it anyways, your wife would.

Yes it's a great place to retire or visit. I was leaning towards Thailand for retirement but have changed my sites to Philippines due to that is where the wife is from and she forbids me to go to Thailand anymore. lol
    I can dig the wife's reasoning there lol. I'll do some digging on that forum and see what I can figure out. Thanks for the help.

kmms is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post

this isn't exactly truthful. if you are an american you are subject to the thai-us amity treaty and can form your own corporation without a thai as director. you are still limited to any of the various activities that are allowed and allowable under thai law but you don't have to hand your business over to a thai and that's a big step.

Quote Originally Posted by ddp2727 View Post
    Alright, I've read enough of the post where every male member that lives there loves it. My question is how the hell can I find work there? Is it mostly degree work, construction, office, health field, etc?

I'm seriously looking into giving that country a shot but I wanna make sure I can make it over there before I just jump ship.

Thanks guys!
    i'll give you the same advice i give to any of the tourists who come here during high season and love it and want to stay.

you either belong here or you don't. it's that simple. if you've ever spent any extended time here and believe it is the place for you, you will find a way to stay here. if you simply "want" to stay here because the weather is warm, the women are willing and lovely and the beer is cold and cheep, well, you're going to get chewed up and spit out with only a very painful life lesson to show for it.

anyone that has never been here before has no business deciding from their western armchair that they want to retire here. you must be here or have been here for more than a short holiday to make that decision.

i came here for a two month holiday and decided that i wanted to stay a bit longer. during my entire first year here i couldn't decide if i ****ing loved the place or ****ing hated it. now a decade in i can't imagine being anywhere else.

give up the idea of coming here and finding work. it's not going to happen like that. if you work online or can work online you'll have a much easier time making the transition. you simply will not find work here without having a very good network of other expats and thai's to fall back on, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    What do people like about it other than prostitution because as an armchair warrior thats all I know about it

"Since the Vietnam War, Thailand has gained international notoriety among travellers from many countries as a sex tourism destination."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand

Good advice kmms.

Cherrydrpepper, no one can explain it to you if you have never been there. Ill admit I went because of the girls, sort of. I had always wanted to travel to Asia and decided to go there. If it wasnt for the girls Id still love the place. I fell in love with it like no where I had ever been and was almost in tears when I had to go home. I had never felt some homesick for a place I was leaving. I honelstly felt more torn apart leaving Thailand than I did having to sell the house I grew up in after my mom died.

I have talked to many other people who feel the same. There is just somthing about the place the either grabs ahold of your heart or it doesnt but there is not way to know or understand unless you have gone.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Still waiting for my invite from Lovbyts.....and now there's a new forum I hear I should look in to!!! Lol

i can't tell you what everyone likes, but i live on a very private stretch of beach on a small island. i love tropical weather. i love driving across the country at real highway speeds without ever seeing a policeman anywhere. i love thai food. i love being within a short flight to nearly every important asian city. i love buying a liter of 6.5% alcohol beer chang for little more than 1usd. i ****ing love thai women. as long as you understand how the game is played and that you are playing their game on their board, no problems. i love being able to walk into my pharmacy and buy antibiotics should i need them, or test or dbol or winny or var all from thai manufacturers and quality stuff.

i don't love politics. i don't love the hypocrisy here that is in your face every day, such as being able to walk into the bar and buy a prostitute but sex toys are against the law. i don't like the limits on speech, anti defamation laws etc. i can put up with that shit to take in everything i love about the place.

don't ride jet skis, don't ask people for narcotics, don't ever ever start a fight with a thai unless you're in the ring, don't be a loud mouthed obnoxious tourist and everything will probably turn out great for you here. there are many legit stories about tourists having problems when they do these things and while there are many many shady thai's who have earned a horrible reputation for the country, most of the problems are easily avoided by not being an idiot in the first place. thai's are and always will be money first over everything else. family, feelings, relationships and most things the west holds dear mean nothing here if there isn't money first. deal with it, you're not going to change it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the well thought out responses. Hopefully I get a chance to visit some day.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Good advice kmms.

Cherrydrpepper, no one can explain it to you if you have never been there. Ill admit I went because of the girls, sort of. I had always wanted to travel to Asia and decided to go there. If it wasnt for the girls Id still love the place. I fell in love with it like no where I had ever been and was almost in tears when I had to go home. I had never felt some homesick for a place I was leaving. I honelstly felt more torn apart leaving Thailand than I did having to sell the house I grew up in after my mom died.

I have talked to many other people who feel the same. There is just somthing about the place the either grabs ahold of your heart or it doesnt but there is not way to know or understand unless you have gone.
    exactly. see my post above, it took me at least one year of daily struggles with one day loving it and the next day finding incredible frustrations in the cultural differences. once you can accept them and start rolling with it it becomes highly addictive haha.

Wise words from kmms. Leave your western ways at home. Don't EVERY think you have rights because of who you are or you are better than anyone else. If you are an obnoxious drunk then don't drink. Ive heard it to many times to doubt it, do not fight a Thai unless you are willing to take on the village and expect to loose badly unless as said, you are in the ring literally.

Oh yeas and as said, narcotics are a BIG no, no even if some of the locals do them. The last thing you want to do is end up in a Thai prison and be assured you will if you partake. You need to understand the hi-achy of things when in a relationship. Money is #1, them family, extended family, family cow, dog and a all the other farm animals then somewhere down the line is YOU... As long as you have or provide the money you are important but it doesnt go far beyond that. lol That does not mean you wont be treated good. As long as you provide an income that is acceptable you will be treated VERY good but if push comes to shove and there is a problem you are far down on the list. Always expect there to be a problem also. Mother/Father is sick or need some unplanned operation, sister/brother need money for school/books or the cow is sick. It's just part of the game and you have to learn how to deal with it.

Main thing to remember is this is NOT your country so dont expect to change things and learn to roll with the punches.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 10-21-2012 at 01:03 AM.

here's a photo i took of my beach a couple nights back after the late afternoon thunderstorms rolled through. this might help to explain it a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pWPfnl.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	128090

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmms View Post
    here's a photo i took of my beach a couple nights back after the late afternoon thunderstorms rolled through. this might help to explain it a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pWPfnl.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	128090
    Yeah thats gorgeous. I live in Florida and would only ever consider California (if it was my choice and not job related) for living in the US. The beach is awesome. I feel like we are here to enjoy it as often as we can, not once every 5 years for a weeks vacation.

Thread Information