Thread: Whooping cough

optionsdude is offline Member

Whooping cough

Anybody have any experience with this? The dr thinks my 5 year old has it,after 5 trips to the dr(4 different ones). Poor kid has the worst coughing fits you could ever imagine and usually ends in vomitting. Any insight or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

1tuffmudder is offline Junior Member
    Just know if it is legitimate whooping cough its contagious. Like kennel cough dogs get only people version. Pretty sure need some anti-biotix similar to bronchitis.

At first they thought it was asthma brought on by allergies,inhalers didn't work. So then a prednisone based syrup,which didn't work. Then a round of antibiotics,so no longer contagious per the dr. However,antibiotics don't do much in way of a cure it can lessen the recovery time,I hope.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    hey man, sorry to hear about your kid. usually, its a combination of medications that will eventually bring about relief. treating one symptom with one med may not be sufficient. i think your kid may need the works. cough suppressant(promethazine or codeine), broncho-dilator(albuterol or salbutamol), anti-inflammatory(pred, singulair), antibiotics (clarithromycin), maybe throw in a decongestant(pseudoehpedrine).

some environmental factors may prolong the symptoms. dusty/smoky environment. cold/wet weather. pets at home? fur may also worsen the case.

i feel that avoiding cold and sour/citrus food/drinks may also help.

hope your kid gets well soon.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Is it a sinus infection brought on by allergies?

Did he suggest mucinex to help get the mucous out of his lungs?

Postural draining? Warm baths to help break up the mucous in his chest? Steam room?

How about vit c?

Gargle warm salt water to help relieve his sore throat from coughing?

Some of these should help out some with ya little one! Hate to see a sick kid, good luck!

BlueWaffle21 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My niece had this exact same issue and she went from doctor to doctor and finally she got a doc that recognized the issue. I will get the exact name of it later but it is almost like a tick that people get except this happens in highly intelligent people. They didn't really know why but it's been noticed in smart kids. When I talk to my sister in a bit I'll get the name and what they did to fix it.

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by optionsdude
    Anybody have any experience with this? The dr thinks my 5 year old has it,after 5 trips to the dr(4 different ones). Poor kid has the worst coughing fits you could ever imagine and usually ends in vomitting. Any insight or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Tren cough.... We all got it bro lol

Blog Entries
    ^^ That's funny!!!

It is called Habit Cough and to fix it she took a sip of water everytime she had the urge to cough. Apparently her coughing fits were gone in a day. Give it a try and let me know!!

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaffle21 View Post
    ^^ That's funny!!!

It is called Habit Cough and to fix it she took a sip of water everytime she had the urge to cough. Apparently her coughing fits were gone in a day. Give it a try and let me know!!
    Sipping water is not going to cure pertussis.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Sipping water is not going to cure pertussis.
    The doc attributed the cough to being a tick in intelligent children. When she was thinking she coughed and being young she was always thinking. They tried medications for everything under the sun, she was told she had asthma prior to the last doc. Everytime she wanted to cough she took a sip and the habit was broken. She is the proof right there.

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaffle21

The doc attributed the cough to being a tick in intelligent children. When she was thinking she coughed and being young she was always thinking. They tried medications for everything under the sun, she was told she had asthma prior to the last doc. Everytime she wanted to cough she took a sip and the habit was broken. She is the proof right there.
    I use to have eye twitches when I was thinking about something when I was a small child. It went away when I was 5 or 6. I also use to stutter and have a speech impediment that was completely gone by the time I was in first grade.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Asiandude we tried the prednisone and albuterol and it did not help at all. Ragincajun the lungs are all clear per x-ray and 4 different dr's listening to lungs. From what I have found and the dr said the virus lives in the back of the throat and aggrivates the throat causing the occassional violent cough. It happens about once every hour or 2. However keeping the bedding and carpet clean has been a chore. The dogs think the coughing sound is a dinner bell and come running in looking to help clean up. It's absolutely gross and I don't encourage them to do it. The kid even puked on one of their heads yesterday. The glories of being a dad.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by optionsdude View Post
    thanks for the well wishes guys. Asiandude we tried the prednisone and albuterol and it did not help at all. Ragincajun the lungs are all clear per x-ray and 4 different dr's listening to lungs. From what i have found and the dr said the virus lives in the back of the throat and aggrivates the throat causing the occassional violent cough. It happens about once every hour or 2. However keeping the bedding and carpet clean has been a chore. the dogs think the coughing sound is a dinner bell and come running in looking to help clean up. It's absolutely gross and i don't encourage them to do it. The kid even puked on one of their heads yesterday. the glories of being a dad.
    rofl!!!

Thread Information