cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Tired of getting raped at mechanic

I dont have a good mechanic where i'm living. Is there a good website where I can see legit not made up reviews? Car turns over but doesn't start. Suspect need new fuel pump.

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper
    I dont have a good mechanic where i'm living. Is there a good website where I can see legit not made up reviews? Car turns over but doesn't start. Suspect need new fuel pump.
    Where u from??

FONZY007 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper
    Google is your friend, I've fixed my car along with friends cars due to google..

Example: my blower stopped blowing, google stated it was the wires to the blower or resistor.. Bam it was the wires cost me 17 bucks from the dealer.. I would of never figured it out..

Another example: friend has a Nissan frontier with a bad top knock sensor.. Cost 500-600 bucks in labor to remove intake manifold to even get to the knock sensor.. Google states but a new sub harness and knock sensor 60 bucks together and relocate the knock sensor on the side of knock sensor..

I have a few more that saved me a few bucks

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    Most cars you can hear when the fuel pump "kicks on." In a quite area (like a garage) turn the ignition on and you should hear a "hum" sound where the pump turns on. If not you can always disconnect the pump then use a test light or volt checker to see if its getting power.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

JohnnnyBlazzze is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What area are you in?

I recently got hammered at a small mechanic place.

Just recently discovered "mobile mechanics." If you look online for some you should be able to find them.

They drove out to me to change my starter and did all the work right there in parking lot. They charged 100$ to change the starter, didn't charge by the hour. So all I had to pay was the 100$ and for the new starter which was like 180$ but returning the old one I got 60$ back.

New starter and labor all together cost me 220$ which would have been aroudn 500-600$ at a mechanic.

optionsdude is offline Member
    You can also find how to repair videos on youtube for pretty much any car.

Fllifter is offline Associate Member
    Have you checked for power in the wires going to the fuel pump? It could be a number of things but looking at your fuses is a good place to start

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    Sounds like the starter. See if you can tap it a few times with a hammer of something else you can fit in to tap it.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Tired of getting raped by your mechanic?

Well, there's always "NO DOZE" to help you stay awake while he's having at you?

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fllifter View Post
    Have you checked for power in the wires going to the fuel pump? It could be a number of things but looking at your fuses is a good place to start
    ^^^ +1 Rare the actual fuel pump ever goes out but it does happen, just rare. As everyone is saying, Google, youtube and we need more information and might be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by warmouth View Post
    Sounds like the starter. See if you can tap it a few times with a hammer of something else you can fit in to tap it.
    Not likely, he says it turns over.

It's either fuel or spark. Both are easy to check. I would check spark first. Just pull one of the spark plug wires and stick your finger in the end while someone cranks it. You will know one way or another if it's working. hehehehehe Use an old spark plug sticking in the wire and hold it against some place on the engine metal to see if you are getting spark.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 12-03-2012 at 01:56 AM.

optionsdude is offline Member
    LB that was wrong. When I was a youngster someone talked me into testing for spark that way on my motorcycle when it wouldn't start. OUCH!

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Most cars you can hear when the fuel pump "kicks on." In a quite area (like a garage) turn the ignition on and you should hear a "hum" sound where the pump turns on. If not you can always disconnect the pump then use a test light or volt checker to see if its getting power.
    This ..
    also most cars have both a fuse and relay for your fuel pump. Check them. The relay is many times the same as the ac relay..so you can simply switch them to test.

canesfan804 is offline Member
    I usually ask my mechanic for a kiss. When he looks at me like WTF I say I like to be kissed before I get F***ed. Seriously tho google is your best friend as long as you have some mechanical skills. Its mostly part replacement so not too hard.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by optionsdude View Post
    LB that was wrong. When I was a youngster someone talked me into testing for spark that way on my motorcycle when it wouldn't start. OUCH!
    hey chucklehead!

yer supposed to use rubber/insulated pliers when holding the sparkplug/wire =)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help guys. My roommate used to mechanic his own vehicles so I spent an hour with me messing around. He used an (ultimiter?) to check voltage at the battery when the car was off. It was jumping. Long story short I wired my cd player wrong and it was drawing juice when the car was off. I didn't think this was the issue because I just had a new battery put in a couple months ago. So basically dead battery. I took the head unit out and rewired it in the house and clipped it back in. Charged the battery and good to go.

I can't get the stock amps to turn on. We tested voltage at the amp - it is getting power to both the red power wire and the blue remote turn on wire. This leads me to believe I may not have something correct with my wiring up at the HU again. Going to screw with it more later.

I'm not going to lie and say its never happened Roman but I'm kind of picky about which mechanics rape me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    Yeah shes gtg

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This thread has some serious potential

Quote Originally Posted by optionsdude View Post
    Hahahahaha. I have been shocked why so many motorcycles quads jet skis cars and trucks that I can't even begin to count. The 1 that I will never forget the old was with my 67 Camaro and I was working on it at night on the side of the road and had a MSD super coil that bit me. I swear my arm from my hand passed my elbow was number for hours.

Thanks for the help guys. My roommate used to mechanic his own vehicles so I spent an hour with me messing around. He used an (ultimiter?) Ohm meter to check voltage at the battery when the car was off. It was jumping. Long story short I wired my cd player wrong and it was drawing juice when the car was off. I didn't think this was the issue because I just had a new battery put in a couple months ago. So basically dead battery. I took the head unit out and rewired it in the house and clipped it back in. Charged the battery and good to go.

I can't get the stock amps to turn on. We tested voltage at the amp - it is getting power to both the red power wire and the blue remote turn on wire. This leads me to believe I may not have something correct with my wiring up at the HU again. Going to screw with it more later.

I'm not going to lie and say its never happened Roman but I'm kind of picky about which mechanics rape me
    LoL. Ohm meter.
    I still say the best way is just lick your fingertips and touch the wires to see if there's any electricity and always make sure your other hand is firmly grounded.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Hahahahaha. I have been shocked why so many motorcycles quads jet skis cars and trucks that I can't even begin to count. The 1 that I will never forget the old was with my 67 Camaro and I was working on it at night on the side of the road and had a MSD super coil that bit me. I swear my arm from my hand passed my elbow was number for hours.
    Sounds like a ripe opportunity to perform The Stranger

Sounds like a ripe opportunity to perform The Stranger
    It's much easier to sit on your hand until it's numb.

This all remind me of the time I was changing all the electrical outlets in my house and I kept getting shocked because I did not turn off any of the Breakers.

My wife song the 1 time just my hand back after getting a little zap and asked me what happened. I told her but she did not believe me and said it's impossible because if I was shocked are electrocuted it would kill you. I said okay and reached out grab her and and and grabbed 1 of the electrical outlets. She didn't think it was very funny but I sure did
    Last edited by lovbyts; 12-04-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Thread Information