Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Straight Razor Shaving.........................

....This will be my first attempt at straight razor shaving. Always wanted to try it, never have. Really tired with the crappy shave I get with the disposables, and the cost of disposables at Costco keeps going up while the quality seems to always be going down.

....So I figured it was time to Man Up and take the plunge.

Anyone else straight razor shave? Any advice? Been watching the YouTube videos, so I think I get the general idea?

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Good luck my friend!

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Mach 3 for me. Closest shave Ive ever had. Smooth like a baby's bum, And yeah, good luck! ^^

Shsm is offline Senior Member
    The nickname 'cut-throat razors' doesn't sound appealing to me at all, despite the fact they may offer the closest shave possible. Braun electric razor for life...

Good luck Mr. TR...

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Hey Times,

I have had a straight blade for over a year now. I did the same you did, just watched YouTube videos. I found the key for me was to use the soap brush, lather my face with the soap and then run the brush under hot water and brush over the soap. The key is to have your face really really wet and warm as far as I am concerned. Take your time. And make sure you force yourself to learn to be ambidextrous right off the bat. You wanna be shaving the right side of your face with your right hand, and the left side of your face with your left hand. Again, take your time, you will be OK.

Also, before you start, make sure your razor is extra sharp. If you turn the blade upside down, you should be able to drop a hair on it and it should cut in half as you drop the hair on it if you know what I mean.

I do my face in stages. Left cheek, right cheek, mustache, chin, left side of neck, right side of neck. I strop between each stage.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    have you seen skyfall.....there is a straight razor scene....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    huh?

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Just seems like more trouble than it's worth. More of a fancy thing...Mr. fancy pants. I did shave one of my legs one time with a straight razor..it was kinda fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    huh?
    the new james bond movie....skyfall...bond uses a straight razor and sometimes he has help LOL

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Yeah and he gets the girl! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Just seems like more trouble than it's worth. More of a fancy thing...Mr. fancy pants. I did shave one of my legs one time with a straight razor..it was kinda fun!
    only fun if you do it once....and why would you shave only ONE of your legs..u r a strange one

Eddie_m63 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox
    Mach 3 for me. Closest shave Ive ever had. Smooth like a baby's bum, And yeah, good luck! ^^
    X2 love them

stpete is offline Banned
    Good luck, my friend. I'm not so sure about it though. Sticking w/fusion for now. Let us know how it goes.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    only fun if you do it once....and why would you shave only ONE of your legs..u r a strange one
    LOL...It was the wifes from Cosmo school and I just started once in the tub and liked how it cut the hair...so I did one leg. I may try it again on both now that I am more into BB!

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    I had been considering getting one, but then got one of those mens groomers, now i just go over the whole lot on the setting that is about 2-3 days growth. No Itchy regrowth.

Except for now, 16 days into movember, its getting annoying!

milky01623 is offline Productive Member
    I only ever get these done on holiday in either turkey or Egypt
    Cut throat was Sweeney todds choice of deadly weapon.,.,
    There you see I'm a hive of useless knowledge lol

Atomini is offline Banned
    I used a straight razor for a good while. In fact, I remember a few years back creating a thread on it here and a lot of members jumped on the bandwagon. See the thread here:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...ighlight=razor

But yeah I got a straight razor that does not use replacement blades. I stopped using it when it got to the point where I had to have the razor honed every once in a while. Reason being that its VERY hard to find someone who knows how to properly hone these things, as it is a lost/dead art. I tried honing it myself when I got a sharpening stone and everything, but no success. It takes a real expert who knows what he's doing to hone a straight razor properly, it needs to be SO sharp. So i've gone back to your typical safety razors. But i'm thinking of getting the straight razors with the replaceable razor blades. Straight razor shaving gave me the BEST shave with the LEAST irritation ever every single time I used it. I miss using it.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No thanks, I dont trust myself. I have had it done to me by a barber in Thailand or Philippines, dont remember which but it was a good shave. The happy ending was no blood. lol

LiL P is offline Associate Member
    I use a straight razor too shave my face been doing it for a while now i learned from my barber hes turkish i get all the products from him aswell pretty sure he gets them from turkey tho and id advise using a soap stick(i use Arko) and a brush.. Use shaving gel and you will need urgent medical attention or else a coffin..Use foam and you wont get a close shave and you'l get lots of irritation.. i never tried using cream but i think it might work.. one tip i will give you is too make sure you pull the skin tight with your free hand, always go against the hair growth and most importantly take your time and don't hold the razor at a 90 degree angle to your face. Oh and i forgot! your gonna have to either shower/wash face before hand don't scrub and pat dry with a towel or else you could do the whole damp warm towel on your face for a bit(Reason for this is it softens the hairs)

Right now your thinking "Holy shlt too much effort" and "Why Do you bother!?"

Because im worth it *Flicks hair*

damn i had a really funny link i wanted to post at the end of this stoopid spam protector brb gtg spam too 25 posts

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    x2. The blades are expensive but they work.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

the new james bond movie....skyfall...bond uses a straight razor and sometimes he has help LOL
    james bond?

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    james bond?
    Bad troll is bad.

BUMP! How'd it go brother? Just shaved my beard and remembered about your thread.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    I have it done weekly by a barber, I couldnt imagine doing it myself.

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    ....This will be my first attempt at straight razor shaving. Always wanted to try it, never have. Really tired with the crappy shave I get with the disposables, and the cost of disposables at Costco keeps going up while the quality seems to always be going down.

....So I figured it was time to Man Up and take the plunge.

Anyone else straight razor shave? Any advice? Been watching the YouTube videos, so I think I get the general idea?
    I use a straight razor for a pocket knife bc there cool as shit.... Anyone who actually uses one is a brave man... I personally have never even used it on my face. I scratch hairs off my arm or leg all the time tho

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I just use a straight razor on the pubes :0. My barber is the only one I trust with a straight razor. It is definitely the best shave you will get. He uses this clear stuff in a spray bottle instead of shaving cream. I'm getting my hair cut this week so I'll find out what it is. There's never any irritation and my face/neck is always smooth and soft.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Whew and at first I thought this thread was about a formerly banned member. so I never opened it till now only to see it really is about Razors!...lol

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Matt Damon, Rounders, Barbershop scene - "I feel like i'm going to get whacked"

I think that a hot lather straight blade shave is one of the lost pleasures in life. Kind of like a massage or sitting in the sauna.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357 View Post
    BUMP! How'd it go brother? Just shaved my beard and remembered about your thread.
    I finally went to home depot and got a hook to hang up my leather strop. i'll review the youtubes videos "how to straight razor without cutting your throat" one more time, and maybe give it a whirl in the next day or so......

Riptorn is offline Associate Member
    That $hit is not for the feint of heart. The slightest horizontal motion or angular increase can be the difference between a close shave and an ER visit. Lots of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Riptorn View Post
    That $hit is not for the feint of heart. The slightest horizontal motion or angular increase can be the difference between a close shave and an ER visit. Lots of luck.
    Been shaving with one for a year. I even use my non dominant hand for the other side of my face.

Yeah I'm a bad ass mother f*cker.

Thread Information