Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member

Video games are what causes violent crime in America

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/353...town-shootings

I know what you guys are thinking, 'another gun thread', but I thought this might generate some healthy debate. Rather than have pro gun vs no gun arguments, it might be more pertinent to ask, what is causing this in the first place.

Today, a spokesman for the NRA has cited video games, as well as certain movies, for the reason this kind of stuff happens.

And lets be real, if its not steroids , it video games, that is the root of all evil.

What this guy fails to realise is, everything that you guys might be 'exposed to' via entertainment, EVERYONE ELSE, including the UK, EU, Japan, Australasia, Russia, China and so forth, are also exposed to.

So no, I dont believe its the fault of video games. Or violent movies. It has to be something though. I have to admit, when Lovbytes posted that picture with the TShirt about God, I thought "here we go, the religious thumping", but you know, if bringing religion into school DID instil better morales into kids and there was proof that it brought a decline in violent behaviour, I would be all for it.

I also believe "Natural Born Killers" was cited as a film that inspired evil in people. For anyone that's ever watched that film, they would know its a film that shows how the MEDIA, the real evil out there, glorifies and sensationalises things like gun killing sprees. The film is about how the media make these things worse than they are. That's not to say it shouldnt be reported, but I feel the Media has the ability to turn anything, no matter how ghoulish, into entertainment, a circus or some sort of sick comedy.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I'm not religious but if people thinks it installs morals and makes them better then do it at home and goto church or what ever helps. But i dont see why you need religion to have morals and no right from wrong.

What about just the violence from our country and leaders. Iran may be working on a bomb. Alot of our leaders reaction is that we should attack them. Our response to everything is violence and war. If its right for our country why is it wrong in our country?
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

likelifting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    I'm not religious but if people thinks it installs morals and makes them better then do it at home and goto church or what ever helps. But i dont see why you need religion to have morals and no right from wrong.

What about just the violence from our country and leaders. Iran may be working on a bomb. Alot of our leaders reaction is that we should attack them. Our response to everything is violence and war. If its right for our country why is it wrong in our country?
    I think the US ALWAYS tries to negotiate first. We've been trying to get Iran to stop its nuke ambition and if reports are true, it has done NOTHING. So I don't feel our leaders want to attack without trying to negotiate, sometimes for years, first.

Also, I feel religion is a great set of moral values. I dont go to any church or belong to any religion, just pray now and then and abide by morals of religion, the commandments or something.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    I played video games when I was a kid but then put them down for awhile like most people.

I was then introduced to Call of Duty. I spent an endless amount of time, got fat, and now had the desire to shot a gun. This was at age 28. I never ever had the desire to shot a gun until I started playing those games. Obviously not everyone feels that way but I cant imagine the impact these games have on kids epsecaially ones with issues

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by likelifting View Post
    I think the US ALWAYS tries to negotiate first. We've been trying to get Iran to stop its nuke ambition and if reports are true, it has done NOTHING. So I don't feel our leaders want to attack without trying to negotiate, sometimes for years, first.

Also, I feel religion is a great set of moral values. I dont go to any church or belong to any religion, just pray now and then and abide by morals of religion, the commandments or something.
    I do agree we are trying with Iran. But not everyone in the gov agree's with it.
    I don't think we negotiated with Iraq.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Reply to OP...not sure what other countries are like. But I have seen a degredation of the family in the US. Kids don't listen to parents and parents really can't do anything cuz it seems liberal courts take the side of kids. Parents can't spank, can't take away the internet, etc. Parents hands are tied in a lot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    I do agree we are trying with Iran. But not everyone in the gov agree's with it.
    I don't think we negotiated with Iraq.
    We did, but iirc, we were asking for them to give up something they didn't seem to have...WMD.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I think healthy people keep their fantasy and real life separate. I have always loved violent video games and movies...but am an incredibly passive person in real life. Hell, I don't even try to be a thug on the internet like so many others.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    u know what causes violence in america? IMO... sin.. plain and simple. the fall of man in the garden.. u can blame it on whatever u want but that is the root IMO. (obviously i respect all those that disagree due to religious/non-religious preference)..

its been going on since the beginning.. and it will continue until the end..

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Its really hard to say what causes violent outbursts. I think its a perfect storm, chemical imbalance combined with some time of social trigger.

I mean I grew up hunting(some might consider that very violent) and if it anything it gave me a greater respect for life.

I don't think we will ever really understand what goes through the mind of mad man.

http://gawker.com/5970497/while-the-...hooting-people

This happened today while that NRA spokesman was giving his speech.

Four people killed, five injured, two stateside troopers injured.

I think we all know, it's not video games, or movies that is causing this. I don't know if the people that are doing this are just violent SOB's, mentally ill or desperately depressed individuals with nothing but a point to prove, but something has to be investigated. Are the presence of guns why this happens more or is it because of something that is happening to a person, earlier in their life? Is it because of a divide in class? Is it a failing of healthcare?

With what's happened today, rather than ask these questions, politicians will have a knee jerk reaction response.

I think the violent people in the country gravitate toward violent video games instead of violent video games causing people to become violent.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to tell you what causes the gun killing sprees and I suspect no one will believe me but its the truth.

Being a ****ing loser in life causes you to go outside and kill people.

A lot of the people doing this stuff are the most socially maladjusted people you will ever meet in your life. I'm reluctant to type this because there are people who deal with adversity in different ways. Some people will come from families where everyone weighs 300+ pounds and decide I am not going to be a fat virgin the rest of my life to pick one example. (Yes there really are families like this in America and I have seen them in person myself where it is "Normal" to be 300+ pounds. Most of these people will never lose the weight because their entire life they have been told this is "Normal" and internalized it).

So what makes a person a ****ing loser as mentioned before? These are people missing The Big Three in life.

#1 A Social life. Yes, there is no excuse for not having a social life. If you have a speech impediment, a lazy eye, a missing leg and your parents dropped you on your head when you were a kid, I guarantee you somewhere in the world there is someone else all messed up. Find them or people who sympathize enough to socialize with you. Being born at the bottom of the social ladder is not an excuse. If you have mental illness, medicate and find others going through the same thing. I was a runt as a kid typically the smallest in my class. I am now 190 lbs and have had my share of women and friends. I sure as hell didn't do it sitting at home munching cheetohs and playing call of duty X in my free time.

#2 Sex/Romance. Some people will never experience these things in their life, or will experience them on such a limited basis to be almost non-existent. You will see these people time and time again. Maybe they are very unattractive. Maybe they have poor speech and social skills. They will never look in the mirror and concede "hey, I'm ****in ugly time to **** some fat ugly chicks". or say "hey I'm ****in ugly so I'm gonna do something about it and lift and white my teeth etc"

#3 Drive/Ambition/Passion for a dream. Like Kai Greene said "everybody needs to have a dream". I don't care how stupid it is to someone else you have to find something in this life and make it matter to yourself. Otherwise you are just on the boat headed to where ever instead of master of your destiny. Going through some hard knocks is not an excuse to give up on life. I don't care that dad beat you and mom was a drug addict. You beat yourself. You are beaten when you go down for the last time and are too much of a ***** to get back up. No body did that to you and you are not a victim.

Some of you are going to read this and be skeptical but I guarantee you all these people were missing those 3 things from their life and they were the biggest factor in this happening. Theres always going to be exceptions but I feel I hit it pretty accurate here.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    I'm going to tell you what causes the gun killing sprees and I suspect no one will believe me but its the truth.

A lot of the people doing this stuff are the most socially maladjusted people you will ever meet in your life. I'm reluctant to type this because there are people who deal with adversity in different ways. Some people will come from families where everyone weighs 300+ pounds and decide I am not going to be a fat virgin the rest of my life to pick one example. (Yes there really are families like this in America and I have seen them in person myself where it is "Normal" to be 300+ pounds. Most of these people will never lose the weight because their entire life they have been told this is "Normal" and internalized it).

So what makes a person a ****ing loser as mentioned before? These are people missing The Big Three in life.

#1 A Social life. Yes, there is no excuse for not having a social life. If you have a speech impediment, a lazy eye, a missing leg and your parents dropped you on your head when you were a kid, I guarantee you somewhere in the world there is someone else all messed up. Find them or people who sympathize enough to socialize with you. Being born at the bottom of the social ladder is not an excuse. If you have mental illness, medicate and find others going through the same thing. I was a runt as a kid typically the smallest in my class. I am now 190 lbs and have had my share of women and friends. I sure as hell didn't do it sitting at home munching cheetohs and playing call of duty X in my free time.

#2 Sex/Romance. Some people will never experience these things in their life, or will experience them on such a limited basis to be almost non-existent. You will see these people time and time again. Maybe they are very unattractive. Maybe they have poor speech and social skills. They will never look in the mirror and concede "hey, I'm ****in ugly time to **** some fat ugly chicks". or say "hey I'm ****in ugly so I'm gonna do something about it and lift and white my teeth etc"

#3 Drive/Ambition/Passion for a dream. Like Kai Greene said "everybody needs to have a dream". I don't care how stupid it is to someone else you have to find something in this life and make it matter to yourself. Otherwise you are just on the boat headed to where ever instead of master of your destiny. Going through some hard knocks is not an excuse to give up on life. I don't care that dad beat you and mom was a drug addict. You beat yourself. You are beaten when you go down for the last time and are too much of a ***** to get back up. No body did that to you and you are not a victim.

Some of you are going to read this and be skeptical but I guarantee you all these people were missing those 3 things from their life and they were the biggest factor in this happening. Theres always going to be exceptions but I feel I hit it pretty accurate here.
    I like this post and I think you could be on to something, but wouldn't this be apparent everywhere? I cant believe America has more 'losers' than other places, though I do think what you have suggested are contributing factors.

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    I think games could desensitize someone to violence and a unstable person couldnt/wouldn't be able to differentiate between fantasy and reality could have harmful affect on their mind. I mean look at how many sane ppl get trapped in games like world of warcraft.
    But in general I don't think thats the problem....beside bein mentally ill, not bein raised right or havin the right guidance would be a bigger impact

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    I think because there are more people on earth there's more psychos. I do think something is contributing to it though, I just have no idea what. I really don't see video games doing it

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post

your hit the nail on the head there mate

So lets say cherry is right and these people have no social life, no sex or romance, and lack drive and ambition. I'm no psychologist but obviously they're doing these awful things to settle a vendetta and get even in life but also to gain attention and infamy and achieve in death what they couldnt in life, they think theyre getting what they deserved in their life although its post mortem. They can't be successful or recognized in life so they figure a way to do it through mass death.

So then the news media broadcasts their name and picture and life story all over the news for weeks if not more on end. Is it really necessary to release the name? Is it really necessary to release the picture and life story of these mentally disturbed people? I'm not sayin we should sweep the entire autrocity under the bus but to glorify the mentally challenged action is irrifvckingsponsible at best.

I'm a firm believer in our right to free speech but I don't give a fvck less if I ever know the shooters name or see his picture on the news. And the reason why is that there's some other psychopathic loser out there that's watching the news and thinking if he did that he would get the recognition he deserves, the respect he couldn't command in life, and the fame that would have never been possible other than because he committed an autrocity and now will become what he thought he deserves even though its post mortem. These degenerates getting a few solid weeks on every news channel is a huge victory and exponentially greater to them than what they accomplished and got credit for in life. They win!!

I'll go a step further and say that our media by publicizing and over reporting on these degenerates is actually encouraging others to follow in their footsteps. And I really believe that. If a unstable teen sees another get his picture on every news channel and his life story on CNN msnbc and fox then it gives him the formula for what he's wanted to achieve in life for so long. Copy the acts of johnny fruitcake and you'll be famous and popular and respected for at least a few weeks. They should be left anonymously dead to the general public so as the next nutcase sees no advantage in performing similar acts.

And don't get me started with all the other, but similar, issues our media has. Alll of a sudden Obama wants to ban all assault and semi automatic weapons. Really??? There's no bill been drafted yet and nothing's up for vote. There's a committee that's been assigned to investigate this issue but god only knows what they'll find out and what they're recommendation will be. But what our media reports is that Obama wants all the guns and ammo the 2nd amendment pertains to single shot muzzle loaders. We'd all be better off if we'd remember what business the news media is really in and that their main focus is to incite us one way or the other. If I never watched the news again or read a newspaper I wouldn't miss their over-exaggerations and half truths one bit. Even the ones that don't have a left/right agenda it seems have an agenda to sell news and they do that by forgetting to report certain info, dramatizing and exaggerating other info and just trying to incite the viewer and sell news one way or the other.

That was way longer than I wanted it to be but bottom line is keep these shooting massacre's identity anonymous and don't glorify them by showing their name and picture all over the news. And question 1/2 of the info the media gives us and just assume the other 1/2 are either lies or omissions for us to be incited to keep watching and to tell others so they'll watch too.

Yes this is my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking with it.
    Last edited by Sgt. Hartman; 12-21-2012 at 10:48 PM.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    one other thing to consider, the size of your population. there is bound to be a small percentage of wierdos anywhere and everywhere. but if your population is that huge, then the number of wierdos is higher.

china is huge too, and i'm sure they have their fair share of crazies, but most may already be in jail, or shot...

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Don't think video games and movies are the cause of the violence but I do think that they desensitize kids to killing or death

Blog Entries
    I agree with what you are saying Sgt Hartman. I knew a gym rat that didn't have #3 he didn't have the dream or the reason to get out of bed really even though he had #1 and #2 (social life / sex and romance). He didn't feel the need to go get some from the world and be a superstar in death he just put a gun to his head and blew himself away. He wasn't sitting at home at friday and saturday nights keeping to himself like these people so I agree its sick degenerates and psychopathic losers looking for attention in death that they never got in life. I do think the media is part of the problem and I would be outraged if I was a parent of a victim at the way they are broadcast 24/7.

There is another angle to these people that obviously they have problems. I remember hearing on the radio an interview about Jeffrey Dahmer (sp?) the serial killer. It was a guy trying to get rich off writing a book about how he was his friend when they were in middle school / early high school. Anyway, Jeff from what he described was incredibly awkward socially. A serial killer is a different beast but there is a reason I bring it into the discussion. The childhood friend book deal guy on the radio, he related a story where Jeff acted out in a prank that none of his acquaintances liked or thought was funny in fact it bothered them I can't remember the details. His acquaintances rejected him. At this point the book deal childhood friend guy he said something like "I think that was the moment when Jeff could no longer fight his demons and they took control of him". The childhood friend said he felt like everyone including the teachers failed Jeff because he was such a wierd kid and everyone rejected him.

You know once somebody does this stuff we can no longer feel sorry for them ultimately. I mean life is hard we all have stories we can relate about times that were difficult or brought us to our knees. You know there are opportunities for us in every day life to reach these people while they are young and developing instead of spitting on them we have to help them when we can. There was a scene in Bigger Stronger Faster where the middle brother talks about being a coach at high school. He says and I'm paraphrasing "I can sometimes find a kid who is awkward (or was fat like he was) and get them into weight training and build them up". He's absolutely right. For me it was a history teacher in high school. I can't even remember his words word for word I just remember he related a story about how getting bigger and more muscular could help somebody get through life better and he was right my life has taken a totally different course thanks just to weight training. And Im not trying to beat lifting and bodybuilding down everyones throat - thats not going to be the road for everyone but these young people need things they need karate classes or wrestling teams or maybe even something I wouldn't enjoy like chess teams and book writers clubs but everyone needs something to feel good about themselves and have a reason to get out of bed. I guess all I'm saying is these young kids you see that are 115 lbs soaking wet at 18 or they come off as wierd one of the worst things we can do as a society is to piss all over them. Quite the opposite if we can build kids up that are having problems we can in some cases head off these tragedies not all or even most but sometimes I feel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, I'm all out of bubblegum.
    I wish I had an extra long sac and balls of steel I would spin that shit in the air and beat people to death with it while yelling "BALLS OF STEEL I'VE GOT BALLS OF STEEL" lol

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A lot of good points.
    I think the rejected thing is the answer. The people are so messed up or weird no one I mean no one wants to be around them. Not even there own family.
    But as lunk said I think, it starts in the hm. Parents should of known there child has no friends and is rejected and its their responsibility to make sure he/she feels loved.
    My best friends nephew has serious adha. He is super weird. Always talking about nothing. Gets normal.grades but knows he is weird. His parents shower him with love. Always one on one time. He is super close with his dad and his mom.
    I think thats were the problem lies. No kid wakes up one day and decides to kill a bunch of ppl. A lot of cues and signs to lead up to it.

I've been saying for a long time that the Media is responsible for a lot of social degeneration across a lot of cultures.

Earlier this year in the UK, it was discovered that some newspapers had been hacking into Celebrities phones to find out dirt on them. At the time while the public never seemed too bothered, it was then discovered that they had also hacked into the phone of a girl called Millie Dowler. What is tragic about this, was the girl had been kidnapped at the time (and had in fact been murdered as was later discovered). Everytime the paper did something to the phone, the parents assumed it was the girl, trying to attract help and attention.

All this to sell a few newspapers. Now there is talk about press regulation in the UK as a result.

This is the problem with democracy I think. It's a victim of it's own brilliance, and sooner or later, people start to abuse the freedoms they have, to the detriment of other peoples rights.

When was the last time the news/media truly printed/broadcasted something truly news worthy that had nothing to do with stirring up emotions in people, making or a prophet or furthering a political agenda.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Don't think video games and movies are the cause of the violence but I do think that they desensitize kids to killing or death
    I agree, I remember some rob zombie movie that had a very brutal rape scene in it and I was reading a review about it online and someone said something like been there seen that yet when I rented it i actually turned it off. So I agree that it does desensitize kids.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    some people do bad things.. end of story.. other than that fact u can not pin it to one thing cuz too many factors play a role. sure certain things are obvious but others are not... my guess is everything mentioned in this thread has contributory merit as well as a lot of other stuff that cant be anticipated.

it cannot be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    one other thing to consider, the size of your population. there is bound to be a small percentage of wierdos anywhere and everywhere. but if your population is that huge, then the number of wierdos is higher.

china is huge too, and i'm sure they have their fair share of crazies, but most may already be in jail, or shot...
    Lol that's what I said!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    So lets say cherry is right and these people have no social life, no sex or romance, and lack drive and ambition. I'm no psychologist but obviously they're doing these awful things to settle a vendetta and get even in life but also to gain attention and infamy and achieve in death what they couldnt in life, they think theyre getting what they deserved in their life although its post mortem. They can't be successful or recognized in life so they figure a way to do it through mass death.

So then the news media broadcasts their name and picture and life story all over the news for weeks if not more on end. Is it really necessary to release the name? Is it really necessary to release the picture and life story of these mentally disturbed people? I'm not sayin we should sweep the entire autrocity under the bus but to glorify the mentally challenged action is irrifvckingsponsible at best.

I'm a firm believer in our right to free speech but I don't give a fvck less if I ever know the shooters name or see his picture on the news. And the reason why is that there's some other psychopathic loser out there that's watching the news and thinking if he did that he would get the recognition he deserves, the respect he couldn't command in life, and the fame that would have never been possible other than because he committed an autrocity and now will become what he thought he deserves even though its post mortem. These degenerates getting a few solid weeks on every news channel is a huge victory and exponentially greater to them than what they accomplished and got credit for in life. They win!!

I'll go a step further and say that our media by publicizing and over reporting on these degenerates is actually encouraging others to follow in their footsteps. And I really believe that. If a unstable teen sees another get his picture on every news channel and his life story on CNN msnbc and fox then it gives him the formula for what he's wanted to achieve in life for so long. Copy the acts of johnny fruitcake and you'll be famous and popular and respected for at least a few weeks. They should be left anonymously dead to the general public so as the next nutcase sees no advantage in performing similar acts.

And don't get me started with all the other, but similar, issues our media has. Alll of a sudden Obama wants to ban all assault and semi automatic weapons. Really??? There's no bill been drafted yet and nothing's up for vote. There's a committee that's been assigned to investigate this issue but god only knows what they'll find out and what they're recommendation will be. But what our media reports is that Obama wants all the guns and ammo the 2nd amendment pertains to single shot muzzle loaders. We'd all be better off if we'd remember what business the news media is really in and that their main focus is to incite us one way or the other. If I never watched the news again or read a newspaper I wouldn't miss their over-exaggerations and half truths one bit. Even the ones that don't have a left/right agenda it seems have an agenda to sell news and they do that by forgetting to report certain info, dramatizing and exaggerating other info and just trying to incite the viewer and sell news one way or the other.

That was way longer than I wanted it to be but bottom line is keep these shooting massacre's identity anonymous and don't glorify them by showing their name and picture all over the news. And question 1/2 of the info the media gives us and just assume the other 1/2 are either lies or omissions for us to be incited to keep watching and to tell others so they'll watch too.

Yes this is my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking with it.
    Really doesn't seem like a conspiracy theory. Honestly everything you said makes a lot of sense and is more likely than not true

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    This is an interesting perspective on violent shootings in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqHB4hVSHtE

If you got the time, it's an interesting documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    This is an interesting perspective on violent shootings in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqHB4hVSHtE

If you got the time, it's an interesting documentary.
    Interesting documentary. Conspiracy? Planned chaos? There are some disturbing videos at the end for sure. I say it's probably at least one aspect of what/why things are happening.

DanB is offline Banned
    cherry and sarge have this one wrapped up, both 100% correct in everything they saying i.m.o, i also have a theory of my own thats is the next step of what they are saying which i would love to add but know for a fact it would start ww3 so i'll use my head for once in my life and keep it to myself, although i reckon the 2 boys prob know it and aint saying it either lol

Interesting documentary. Conspiracy? Planned chaos? There are some disturbing videos at the end for sure. I say it's probably at least one aspect of what/why things are happening.
    I don't necessarily think there is a conspiracy or something. But people who do that are reasonably normal people who were just pushed to the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I don't necessarily think there is a conspiracy or something. But people who do that are reasonably normal people who were just pushed to the edge.
    Yeah I understand but it's hard to imagine any employee going to those extreme to harass someone, but yet K now they do and have heard of it before. I dont know what they expected to happen. Seems like it was what they were looking for?

Thicknick1 is offline New Member
    People where killing people before guns, video games and movies where even a thought. Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes where as 11,624 are killed by guns. Yet anyone can walk into any bar and get alcohol or any kid could steal the alcohol from his parents. Cars are on the road and alcohol is legal. These things are just that.. things. People make thing dangerous, so instead of blaming inanimate object let blame our self's. Lets blame the parents for not being close enough to their children to know they need mental help and being responsible enough to get it. Let's change healthcare plans so we can get people the help they need. Let start giving our schools better protection. Let's stop looking to the government for help and remember they are only there to do the will of the people.. not make the will for the people. Let's just stop blaming everyone but ourselves and start fixing it our self's. But thats just my .02

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thicknick1 View Post
    People where killing people before guns, video games and movies where even a thought. Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes where as 11,624 are killed by guns. Yet anyone can walk into any bar and get alcohol or any kid could steal the alcohol from his parents. Cars are on the road and alcohol is legal. These things are just that.. things. People make thing dangerous, so instead of blaming inanimate object let blame our self's. Lets blame the parents for not being close enough to their children to know they need mental help and being responsible enough to get it. Let's change healthcare plans so we can get people the help they need. Let start giving our schools better protection. Let's stop looking to the government for help and remember they are only there to do the will of the people.. not make the will for the people. Let's just stop blaming everyone but ourselves and start fixing it our self's. But thats just my .02
    I agree but the system is broken. If someone is seriously crazy and the family presents enough evidence to prove they need to be locked up, the first time they will be locked up for I believe 7 days and put on meds and released. During follow ups especially if there is evidence they are a danger to themselves or others they can be put in the crazy house for long periods of time. It is expensive the and mental ward will expect the family of the crazy person to pay the bill. We are talking a couple thousand dollars a month on the cheaper side to house someone in these places. Its just not a feasible option for families.

IMO what we need to do is have more programs out there for crazy ****s. We need group therapy programs to reach out to these crazy **** tards so they can join people going through the same bad shit. I have not done much research but I would guess a lot of these people have ADD, Autism, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Multiple personality, Borderline disorder and other disorders. There just isn't a good solution. A lot of these people without help from their families end up in the street talking to themselves and asking for a dollar at a time to get high. I'm going to tell you again the key is to keep these crazy ****s busy. Idle time = the devil's playground.

^^^^I agree with most of this too.

It seems like the number of Americans with mental health issues is increasing at a ridiculous rate. There will always be some sort of weapons, guns or other so the real issue is why are there so many people with mental health issues that would even consider consider committing such terrible atrocities. I know there's always been and always will be these types of people it just seems like its growing out of control.

Riptorn is offline Associate Member
    Cherry is just bastardizing Maslov's hierarchy of needs. And that's correct to an extent. However till we as a society take our share of the blame things like this will continue to occur. Apathy is the cancer that is killing this country but most probably don't care to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    ^^^^I agree with most of this too.

It seems like the number of Americans with mental health issues is increasing at a ridiculous rate. There will always be some sort of weapons, guns or other so the real issue is why are there so many people with mental health issues that would even consider consider committing such terrible atrocities. I know there's always been and always will be these types of people it just seems like its growing out of control.
    I think part of it isn't necessarily that the rate is actually increasing. We're just getting better at identifying crazys. Look at like 30 years ago. How many kids were growing up autistic, but just weren't diagnosed? They just were a "little off."

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Disagree totally about video games desensitizing kids, I played war video games as a kid, and in no way did it prepare/desensitize me for real combat situations I faced nor did it help me adjust with facing death, or the death of my fellow soldiers.

You can re-spawn in video games my man...............not in a real life situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information