marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

Google Street View Adds Images Of Mount Everest, Kilimanjaro, Elbrus, Aconcagua (PICT

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...ncid=webmail11

Fancy climbing the world's tallest mountains? No need to get up - Google's done it for you.

After already visiting the Grand Canyon, the Great Barrier Reef and Antarctica, Google has just released a new update to its Street View mapping service which includes images from four of the world's tallest mountains.

The new data is thanks to Google Innovation Lab employee Dan Fredinburg, who hiked Mt Kilimanjaro, Mt Elbrus, Aconcagua (in the Andes) and part of Mt Everest over the last 18 months while carrying a digital camera and a fisheye lens.

The lightweight kit is similar to the set-up Google uses to take photos inside businesses, and weighs much less than the automated backpack worn by a Googler to take pictures of the Grand Canyon for Street View last year.

panntastic is offline "cool as shit and knows his stuff"
    This is good news
    Things like this can surely help children in schools learn about what's on this planet and the many beautiful places.
    I'm 28 and have several friends that haven't left the county never mind the country
    My aim is to see as much as possible.
    Hopefully kids will see these images in real time and be inspired to travel

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    Nice pictures however I am terribly afraid of heights and I would not even make it across the mudslide bridge!!

Thread Information