Venom is offline Productive Member
    Hey everyone!

I have come to the realization that I absolutely hate my job. I enjoy nothing about it, it's taking a toll on my body and training, and most importantly it is causing a tremendous amount of stress in my life.

At 27, I'm considering going back to school. I realize I am still young enough to pursue whatever goal I have in mind but I am still afraid to go back. I have to consider taking out student student loans while still paying rent and being able to still make enough money to pay for all my current bills.

What I would like to go back to school for is something in the medical field or possibly something in line with physical fitness.

I was looking into being a physical therapy assistant, which is two years of school and from what I read the salary ranges from $30,000-$50,000. What intrigues me about this job is the fact it entails medical knowledge along with aspects of exercise science. I like the idea that I can have patients who have been in car accidents and through time and training I can help them walk again. The downsides to this job is the lack of advancement, actual physical therapists who may look down on your position, and the instability of work.

Other jobs that intrigue me are:
    -X-Ray tech
    -Respiratory Therapist
    -RN (not sure if I can commit to the 4 years of schooling)
    -Dental hygienist

Any other suggestions on jobs with 2 to 4 years of schooling? Anyone else in the same situation as me or who has gone back to school and can offer any advice?

Anyone work in the medical field who can offer some insight?

With thanks
    -venom-
    Last edited by Venom; 12-11-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Electrician was a job i always wanted to do. Bulk bulk bulk coin.

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    As far as a PTA goes, look into what is needed to perform in a sports environment. Otherwise, it won't be as satisfying.

I shadowed a buddy of mine who is a Physical Therapist just to see if I'd like it. He works at a nursing home, cause it's the highest paying site for PT/PTA. Most depressing thing I've been around. I could go on about it, but bottom line, it's not what I was expecting.

1tuffmudder is offline Junior Member
    As far as being nervous about going back, it really isn't terrible. I am 26 and just finishing my first semester back. Honestly I don't regret it for a second. Best thing I could have done. You get into the groove of things very quickly. Plus as long as your not some burned out 27 year old you won't stand out.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    where are you located?

look into rough necking for the oil field.

i think there are some 6 week courses to get certified

good money and with all the shale plays in the US, plenty of jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Diamond
    As far as a PTA goes, look into what is needed to perform in a sports environment. Otherwise, it won't be as satisfying. I shadowed a buddy of mine who is a Physical Therapist just to see if I'd like it. He works at a nursing home, cause it's the highest paying site for PT/PTA. Most depressing thing I've been around. I could go on about it, but bottom line, it's not what I was expecting.
    I figured nursing homes would be the more lucrative setting for PT/PTA's. I was hoping to work somewhere where I could work with car accident victims all day teaching them to walk again. I'm sure the reality is that most PT/PTA's spend their days helping geriatric patients with broken hips and shoulders from falls. I didn't think to see if I can specialize in a sports environment, thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tuffmudder
    As far as being nervous about going back, it really isn't terrible. I am 26 and just finishing my first semester back. Honestly I don't regret it for a second. Best thing I could have done. You get into the groove of things very quickly. Plus as long as your not some burned out 27 year old you won't stand out.
    Thanks for the encouraging words. You're right once I get past the initial fear of not being able to financially support myself while in school, I will realize it was the right move. Definitely not a 27 year old burn out, just sick of working in retail and want to better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00
    where are you located? look into rough necking for the oil field. i think there are some 6 week courses to get certified good money and with all the shale plays in the US, plenty of jobs.
    I live in Connecticut so I don't think there are any oil fields here lol.

In reality I want to become a firefighter that is my main goal. I have been working in retail since I was 16 and currently work for a supermarket as a butcher. I have been trying hard to get onto a fire department but where I live it's extremely competitive and hard to get on. I have been to several interviews and passed many tests but my time hasn't come yet.

I'm not getting any younger and don't want to wake up in another 10 years still trying to get onto a fire department and still working at my current job. So if I can go back to school and get my degree in something while still trying achieve my goal of being a firefighter.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    your in connecticut, but that is not too far from W. Viriginia, Penn, and NY.

huge shale play in that area!

just saying.

FRDave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic
    Electrician was a job i always wanted to do. Bulk bulk bulk coin.
    That's what I'm looking into now. Made a few calls today, just waiting to speak with my local union rep then study for the exam in Feb. and hope to get accepted :-/

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    It won't be easy, but you can do it. At 30, I got fired for yelling at my boss. I decided to go back to school and get my teaching credential. I hated going back to school, but 20 yrs later, I know it was the best decision and totally worth it. Unfortunately for you, higher education is 3X more expensive now than it was way back then. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty11
    It won't be easy, but you can do it. At 30, I got fired for yelling at my boss. I decided to go back to school and get my teaching credential. I hated going back to school, but 20 yrs later, I know it was the best decision and totally worth it. Unfortunately for you, higher education is 3X more expensive now than it was way back then. Good luck
    Thanks Rusty, as scared as I am to go back I'm sure in the end it will have been the best choice.

Thread Information