• 1 Post By DADDYDBOL
  • 2 Post By Igifuno
  • 2 Post By DADDYDBOL
  • 1 Post By Euroholic
  • 1 Post By Igifuno
  • 1 Post By DADDYDBOL
  • 1 Post By BG
  • 1 Post By Igifuno

Thread: We talked caffine and sugar, let's give salt some love... or maybe not?

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries

We talked caffine and sugar, let's give salt some love... or maybe not?

Salt (sodium chloride/mineral), is a good thing, right? Yes it is, we actually need it to maintain a balance of fluid in your cells. This balance allows your muscles to contract and transmit nerve impulses. Also, our digestive systems need sodium to absorb nutrients.

According to studies, most people (in America, anyway) consume way more than the needed 1,500mg (or 3grams) on a daily basis. Studies also show that ingesting too much salt can lead to adverse side effects like water retention, dehydration and hypertension (high BP).

Also, if you already have other issues, too much salt can increase the risk of stomach cancer and osteopporosis.

Serious and chronic high salt intake can damage the lining of your stomach, making it more susceptible to infection by Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium that can cause inflammation and lead to tumor growth.

Lastly, consuming excess salt can increase the amount of calcium you excrete in urine and may contribute to the development of kidney stones. This effect is also related to osteoporosis, as your body may leach calcium from your bones to make up for that lost in your urine.

Source: Health Eating: Side Effects of Eating Too Much Salt

Everyone loves a ittle salt but be careful of your salt intake!!

Giggle is offline Female Member
    Like all things bodybuilding - this is so variable.
    I do believe most Americans get a lot of sodium, but aren't these the same folks with horrible eating patterns; processed food, fast food, you name it. I see a lot of ladies at work relying on those low cal/high sodium frozen dinners. I want to tell them " just eat real FOOD".
    I do shake on a little salt, but then I sweat a bunch most days, and I eat plain meat and veggies for the most part, and a few safe carbs. As I bet you do too, Igi.
    Most Americans can't say that!

DADDYDBOL is offline Anabolic Member
    I will need to add some salt to my diet then, a few years back I was put on 10mgs ED of Lysinaprol (sp?) for hypertension. I was able to get off by cutting salt out of my diet and just eating more raw veggies and fruits. Since then even when we go out for sushi I use low sodium soy sauce and never add salt to anything, I will ask for separate chips at Mexican places if who we are eating with put salt on the chips. My ex was very diligent about avoiding salt as well so it went hand in hand, we never added salt to our foods.

I do love Pho, actually we used to have a bowl after every workout with $2 extra meat but it is extremely high in sodium so I have cut that down to a bowl or two a month, now I may have a bowl a couple times a month because I absolutely love it. If you aren't familiar with Pho it is a Vietnamese beef and noodle soup with vegetables. You typically add sarachi sauce and peanut sauce which I do in extreme amounts lol.

Pho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the info Igifuno, I know I eat way below the average person.
    Euroholic likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggle View Post
    Like all things bodybuilding - this is so variable.
    I do believe most Americans get a lot of sodium, but aren't these the same folks with horrible eating patterns; processed food, fast food, you name it. I see a lot of ladies at work relying on those low cal/high sodium frozen dinners. I want to tell them " just eat real FOOD".
    I do shake on a little salt, but then I sweat a bunch most days, and I eat plain meat and veggies for the most part, and a few safe carbs. As I bet you do too, Igi.
    Most Americans can't say that!
    Truth!

We are not the average, that is for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DADDYDBOL View Post
    I will need to add some salt to my diet then, a few years back I was put on 10mgs ED of Lysinaprol (sp?) for hypertension. I was able to get off by cutting salt out of my diet and just eating more raw veggies and fruits. Since then even when we go out for sushi I use low sodium soy sauce and never add salt to anything, I will ask for separate chips at Mexican places if who we are eating with put salt on the chips. My ex was very diligent about avoiding salt as well so it went hand in hand, we never added salt to our foods.

I do love Pho, actually we used to have a bowl after every workout with $2 extra meat but it is extremely high in sodium so I have cut that down to a bowl or two a month, now I may have a bowl a couple times a month because I absolutely love it. If you aren't familiar with Pho it is a Vietnamese beef and noodle soup with vegetables. You typically add sarachi sauce and peanut sauce which I do in extreme amounts lol.

Bro.. I am a Pho-maniac! Love it. My wife happens to be from Southeast Asia, and she makes that sh*t at home.. best I've ever had hands down. Restaurants will use a lot of fish sauce for flavoring and as a salting agent because they make it in high amounts and quickly/daily. Fish sauce is pretty high sodium. Also, I've heard of some restaurants that use bullion type flavoring in the broth which is also high in salt.

The way my wife makes it is very healthy. Altough she used fish sauce for flavoring, she uses much less and depends on things like ox tails, beef chuck, carrots, seared onion, seared whole ginger, star anise, cloves, whole stick of cinnamon, whole peppercorns, and beef neck bones and she cooks this over several hours (often overnight). So this makes the broth a lot healthier and it tastes way better. I wish I could send you some.

Soo good. I want some now.
    DADDYDBOL and Euroholic like this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I pretty much gave up using salt back when I had the first go around with the cardiac issues.Now we very rarely add salt to anything and when we do it's a ridiculously small amount....I'm talking individual grains.
    On the rare occasions I get depleted/heat cramps,.low potassium seems to be the culprit..??
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

LOL ya I could eat and used to eat it almost daily, our gym was literally a black away from a little noodle house that had awesome pho so we would work out, down a shake and go have a bowl of pho.

Your wife's sounds great, I wish you could send me some too lol, I can tell you know what good pho is and I bet it is awesome!
    Euroholic and Igifuno like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I pretty much gave up using salt back when I had the first go around with the cardiac issues.Now we very rarely add salt to anything and when we do it's a ridiculously small amount....I'm talking individual grains.
    On the rare occasions I get depleted/heat cramps,.low potassium seems to be the culprit..??
    AG what happened with the cardiac issues? You've had more than one go around with these issues?

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Quote Originally Posted by DADDYDBOL View Post

I love pho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	147447
    DADDYDBOL likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    I love pho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a large Asian population in Aus, right?

I just discovered truffle salt!!!!! Its so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a large Asian population in Aus, right?
    Correct. When i was a kid it was all white europeans. But the last 15 years our asian population has boomed. Asians are good my good mate is a cambodian.

Only thing i don't like is how asians put coriander on everything!!!!! I hate coriander... I get my pho large beef rare with chilies

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Correct. When i was a kid it was all white europeans. But the last 15 years our asian population has boomed. Asians are good my good mate is a cambodian.
    So is my wife.. her sister lives there but I have no idea where.

Fuk it i was going to stay in all day but now im going out right now to get pho. Its 0930 nothing like pho for breakfast

AG what happened with the cardiac issues? You've had more than one go around with these issues?
    Lol, yeah, it was basically a 2-stage train wreck process, but I'm much improved these days. Don't post up too much about it, but just for a brief rundown...I tweaked my lower back years ago, caught bronchitis/pneumonia while I was down with the back, started feeling really bad, doc did EKG and I had suddenly developed left bundle branch block. Sent to cardiologist, echocardiogram revealed a lot of heart damage/enlarged heart. Ejection fraction was down to under 15%. Was eligible go be worked up for a transplant, but that wasn't an option I would consider. Continued to do cardiac rehab, showed slight improvement. Cardiologist recommended a biventricular pacemaker. Had pacer put in, 7 months later I had another bout with bronchitis and was running crazy fevers. Employer sent me.to company doctor be cause they were afraid I would crap out at work (ruined my plans, lol). Company doc was stupid said I had chronic fatigue syndrome. Continued to run crazy fevers that would go.over 101°F and then break. Went to cardiologist to see if she would clear me for work. Found out I had coughed a pacemaker lead loose. It would touch my heart at random times and I.would pass out....fell and ruptured shoulder bursa. Admitted to hospital for pacer lead revision, during processing in they discovered I was running a fever over 102°F. Admitted to CCU, fever topped out at over 104°F and I about shot the crapper. Found out I had multiple types of staph, removed pacemaker.so.staph could be cleared.from body. Wore an IV and.pump for 12.weeks with a line that went in my right arm.and ran over towards heart. Pump dripped on 2 types of antibiotics 24/7. Finally got staph cleared, they wanted.to.schedule a nee pacemaker surgery..I refused and managed to get ejection fraction back up to 40% through hard work, medication, and a small miracle or two...and man, the staph infections REALLY stripped away some muscle.
    .I've been cleared for heavy lifting by cardiologist as long I breathe. I'm thankful I still have the job I had when all of this happened and that I can lift.
    My original heart damage was caused by a virus called coxsackie B. It was the root cause.of the viral.cadiomyopathy and they think it slid in on me when I originally had pneumonia.
    Last edited by almostgone; 01-04-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Now, back to this soup you speak of....pho....recipe?

I have a weakness for most types of Asian food..

Blog Entries
    Holy hell AG, I had no idea what you've been through. That sounds like the worst sh*t ride ever brother. Really lucky you're here to talk about this.

I cannot imagine how scary that must have been. And to have pneumonia and fever on top of all of that? I've had it before and it was awful.

I'm glad you're healthier now man.. How long ago was this and do you need the pacemaker forever?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    Now, back to this soup you speak of....pho....recipe? I have a weakness for most types of Asian food..
    Ok for you man.. I'll get it to you.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Lol, yeah, it was basically a 2-stage train wreck process, but I'm much improved these days. Don't post up too much about it, but just for a brief rundown...I tweaked my lower back years ago, caught bronchitis/pneumonia while I was down with the back, started feeling really bad, doc did EKG and I had suddenly developed left bundle branch block. Sent to cardiologist, echocardiogram revealed a lot of heart damage/enlarged heart. Ejection fraction was down to under 15%. Was eligible go be worked up for a transplant, but that wasn't an option I would consider. Continued to do cardiac rehab, showed slight improvement. Cardiologist recommended a biventricular pacemaker. Had pacer put in, 7 months later I had another bout with bronchitis and was running crazy fevers. Employer sent me.to company doctor be cause they were afraid I would crap out at work (ruined my plans, lol). Company doc was stupid said I had chronic fatigue syndrome. Continued to run crazy fevers that would go.over 101°F and then break. Went to cardiologist to see if she would clear me for work. Found out I had coughed a pacemaker lead loose. It would touch my heart at random times and I.would pass out....fell and ruptured shoulder bursa. Admitted to hospital for pacer lead revision, during processing in they discovered I was running a fever over 102°F. Admitted to CCU, fever topped out at over 104°F and I about shot the crapper. Found out I had multiple types of staph, removed pacemaker.so.staph could be cleared.from body. Wore an IV and.pump for 12.weeks with a line that went in my right arm.and ran over towards heart. Pump dripped on 2 types of antibiotics 24/7. Finally got staph cleared, they wanted.to.schedule a nee pacemaker surgery..I refused and managed to get eje took fraction back up to 40% through hard work, medication, and a small miracle or two...and man, the staph infections REALLY stripped away some muscle.
    .I've been cleared for heavy lifting by cardiologist as long I breathe. I'm thankful I still have the job I had when all of this happened and that I can lift.
    My original heart damage was caused by a virus called coxsackie B. It was the root cause.of the viral.cadiomyopathy and they think it slid in on me when I originally had pneumonia.
    Holy Shit!!!!!

wow bro glad you are still here....that is one hell of a ride....I hope things just keep getting better you!
    almostgone likes this.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by igifuno View Post
    holy hell ag, i had no idea what you've been through. That sounds like the worst sh*t ride ever brother. Really lucky you're here to talk about this.
    x 2 !!
    almostgone likes this.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    mna oh man, thinking of it I have a salt problem too LOL ! I gotta get my crap together, wonder why I cant cycle.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Holy hell AG, I had no idea what you've been through. That sounds like the worst sh*t ride ever brother. Really lucky you're here to talk about this.

I cannot imagine how scary that must have been. And to have pneumonia and fever on top of all of that? I've had it before and it was awful.

I'm glad you're healthier now man.. How long ago was this and do you need the pacemaker forever?
    It all started around 8 years ago +/-. It was all a blur that all ran together. Really freaked the wife out...lol.
    No pacemaker now. They had to remove the biventricular pacemaker when I had the staph so the infection could be cleared. If you have hardware....pacemaker, artificial joint etc.and catch staph, the hardware usually has to be removed before the infection can be cleared. I kind of balked at any more hardware being put in my body and was able to work up to no longer needing one. So, I'm good!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BG
    mna oh man, thinking of it I have a salt problem too LOL ! I gotta get my crap together, wonder why I cant cycle.
    Definitely gives us something to think about. Especially as we get older and realize we're not invincible.

@ BG and daddydbol...thanks, guys!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    It all started around 8 years ago +/-. It was all a blur that all ran together. Really freaked the wife out...lol. No pacemaker now. They had to remove the biventricular pacemaker when I had the staph so the infection could be cleared. If you have hardware....pacemaker, artificial joint etc.and catch staph, the hardware usually has to be removed before the infection can be cleared. I kind of balked at any more hardware being put in my body and was able to work up to no longer needing one. So, I'm good!
    Really glad to hear man.
    almostgone likes this.

Ok for you man.. I'll get it to you.
    Gracias, Igi!!!

Thread Information