Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By --->>405<<---

Thread: Snowmobiles

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"

Snowmobiles

OK..so recently I have decided to start looking for a pair of snowmobiles for my wife and I. Neither one of us have any real experience with them but we are young empty nesters and have nothing better to do during the winter months. We do a lot of biking and jet skiing all summer but nothing for excitement in the winter.

We plan to start out with older sleds. Maybe late 90's to early 2000's but really have no idea what brand, size or type is best. We would be mainly short to medium length trail rides with some mild hill work.

What brand is best, 4 stroke or 2 stroke, how many CC, long or short track, EFI or carb? Looking for the least amount of maintenance, considering that's all you do on sleds anyhow lol.

capetown is offline Senior Member
    Find a good used polaris 340 for your wife. Good maintenance free machines and you can get a 2005 or something for dirt cheap. You get a 600 xc around the same year. Both machines are bullet proof. They are also perfect to use for a year or 2 and get the experience. You will be able to sell them if you want to upgrade for the same
    Money you bought them for.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    is it sad that i had to google "empty nesters" ?
    Euroholic and diesel101 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by capetown View Post
    Find a good used polaris 340 for your wife. Good maintenance free machines and you can get a 2005 or something for dirt cheap. You get a 600 xc around the same year. Both machines are bullet proof. They are also perfect to use for a year or 2 and get the experience. You will be able to sell them if you want to upgrade for the same
    Money you bought them for.
    05 might be a bit more than I was looking to spend on the initial investment. Looking for best bang for my buck on under $4K total

You wont find a 4 stroke that old except maybe that r1 thing that yamaha came out with early 2000 but they weigh a ton anyway.

Both those machines have been around that whole decade so if you have to go a bit older than you can. I wouldnt count out getting 05 or around there for under 4 grand for 2 though.

You wont find a 4 stroke that old except maybe that r1 thing that yamaha came out with early 2000 but they weigh a ton anyway.
    I have been told that 2 stroke might be a better option due to the weight and the fact that carbureted are easier to work on, especially if they break down on the trail.

Ya. You dont want a 4 stroke. I have 3 sleds sitting here and I hate 4 strokes. I got on one once, pinned it into the middle of a field by my house, got stuck so i walked back and told my good friend he was stupid for buying that and that he could borrow my shovel . Lol

The only prob with carbs are that because most of the people travel to the rockies on days off, our machines are jetted for there. Which means they run like crap when we have the most time to ride them.

The only prob with carbs are that because most of the people travel to the rockies on days off, our machines are jetted for there. Which means they run like crap when we have the most time to ride them.
    I'm hoping to do a trip to Michigan's upper peninsula in Feb. if I can find some. I think we would really enjoy it as both of love to go fast and tear shyt up lol.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    is it sad that i had to google "empty nesters" ?
    Same..

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Rent. Dont buy ubtil you have tried several and then make the smart decisions and just keep renting when you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Rent. Dont buy ubtil you have tried several and then make the smart decisions and just keep renting when you want to go.
    Not an option to rent locally or anywhere close. This is the sticks!

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, even though I am old and know the term "empty nesters" it is kind of self explanatory isn't it? Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Oki-Des
    Well, even though I am old and know the term "empty nesters" it is kind of self explanatory isn't it? Ha ha.
    I was thinking it was too but I guess not everyone is smrt like us

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Lunk you maybe surprised on how cheap you can pick one up for at the end of the season.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Anything older than 2003 is prob. going to suck and be problematic. In 2003 Ski-Doo came out with the Rev chassis and soon after the other manufactures followed their rider forward approach. The 03 Ski-Doo Rev is the ugliest year though but it's a pretty decent sled. I ride 2-strokes but mine is only a year old and is fuel injected etc. Snowmobiling kicks ass. Just got back the other day from my first trip of the year.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Lunk you maybe surprised on how cheap you can pick one up for at the end of the season.
    Songdog is right buying a sled now is like buying a motorcycle in the spring,wait a 3 months and the price will start to drop.
    Sleds are fun but seems like you always need to tinker with them (jets,clutches,etc) some people love it but I hate to work on things after I leave work. Plus the older I get the more i hate cold weather!

So I am looking at a 2000 Polaris XCSP 500 and a 2001 Polaris XC 500.

I think they are the same machine with different setup. How many KM on them?

I think they are the same machine with different setup. How many KM on them?
    I think the biggest difference I can find is that the SP has reverse (good for the wife). The 01 has 4000 and the 2000 has 5000 (MILES) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1

I think the biggest difference I can find is that the SP has reverse (good for the wife). The 01 has 4000 and the 2000 has 5000 (MILES) lol
    Thats nothing for Miles. Good way to see if a sled has been ridden hard is to take a look at the track and see whats missing for lugs or does it look rough

Thats nothing for Miles. Good way to see if a sled has been ridden hard is to take a look at the track and see whats missing for lugs or does it look rough
    I'll be having a compression test performed upon inspection

Thread Information