Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Today: Daughter going to grand opening of boxing gym

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Today: Daughter going to grand opening of boxing gym

There is a boxing gym opening up in town today. Hot dogs, balloons, all the trimmings. Nate Diaz will be there, amongst a few other well knowns. The ring master's name is Richard Perez, older guy, came up through the streets, typical profile of a youngster growing up in a rough neighborhood. So I was talking to him, checking him out, sizing him up, and evidently he trained his brother who went to the Olympics. So for what he is doing, teaching beginners in a valley town, he's well suited for the role. I'll be able to assess his training skills better when I see him doing his thing.

My daughter has been wanting to learn boxing for a couple of years now. But until recently, all boxing gyms too far away. I think all kids should know how to fight. Take care of themselves if they get in a fix.

I try not to push my kids down the same path I went, like I'm reliving my youth. So I'm stoked this is something she wants to do.
    almightyrandy likes this.

derekkpapa1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Good luck to her great exercise as well as self defense

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good idea. Always a good idea to have some self defense skills.

I want to get mine into Karate or Tae-kwon-do. A friend at work his daughter is getting her black belt this week and she is 9.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Will she be doing Foxy Boxing?

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    I stopped doing heavy weights last summer when I started learning mixed martial arts. I wish I would have gotten into this at a younger age. Would have loved to try getting in the ring. I agree that in todays world you should know how to protect yourself. You would be amazed how many people on the street are skilled...

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post

I want to get mine into Karate or Tae-kwon-do. A friend at work his daughter is getting her black belt this week and she is 9.
    I have mixed emotions about giving kids "black belts" at 9 years old. It is supposed to signify two things:

1) a technical expertise of all the basic, intermediate, and advanced skill set requirements, and...
    2) an ability to take care of one self in a real life situation that most would not be able to win.

So, and not to be disrespectful, how many of these do you think a 9 year old would be able to conquer?

There should be more to earning a black belt than to "knowing the moves"

One requirement should be, and usually be, to beat another black belt.

Sorry, this is an issue with me for the last 30 years or so.....
    DontTaseMeBro likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rwy View Post
    I stopped doing heavy weights last summer when I started learning mixed martial arts. I wish I would have gotten into this at a younger age. Would have loved to try getting in the ring. I agree that in todays world you should know how to protect yourself. You would be amazed how many people on the street are skilled...
    i dabble in Kung Fu, and studied Tae Kwon Do all four years of high school. If I had it over to do again, I'd (if the gyms were available) do two years each in Boxing, Ju Jitsu, and either Akaido or Moy Tai.

Rwy
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    i dabble in Kung Fu, and studied Tae Kwon Do all four years of high school. If I had it over to do again, I'd (if the gyms were available) do two years each in Boxing, Ju Jitsu, and either Akaido or Moy Tai.

Boxing is great, and so is BJJ but I really suck at it and i find that I need to stretch for an hour before rolling. Its has taken me almost a year ( my hip flexor flexibility was awful) to develop ok rear and front muay thai kicks but they are ****ing lethal and checking them hurts so bad and at 35 I said I dont need to learn that anymore lol

in my #7, I dropped the D and meant I dabble"d" in Kung Fu, past tense, not present tense.

She wants to spend a lot of time learning to fight, so I was thinking boxing will give her the quickest immediate result.

Rwy
    in my #7, I dropped the D and meant I dabble"d" in Kung Fu, past tense, not present tense.

She wants to spend a lot of time learning to fight, so I was thinking boxing will give her the quickest immediate result.
    Thats a good idea and generally where everyone starts I think

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

^ I don't think so..........

So I think I'll sign her up today for a single $20 class to see if she likes it. Probably have her go on this Friday evening.

Rwy
    If she can handle a friday night where the talent is probably at the high point for the week I bet she is good to go. I was super intimadated and over whelmed when I first went in.

If she can handle a friday night where the talent is probably at the high point for the week I bet she is good to go. I was super intimadated and over whelmed when I first went in.
    I think I was too. Damn, I must have been 13 when I went to my first dojo

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    yummy

That's no fair teaching girls to defend themselves. What is America coming to. Next they will be allowed to vote and carry guns too.

That's no fair teaching girls to defend themselves. What is America coming to. Next they will be allowed to vote and carry guns too.
    move to Japan. They are taught to walk three or four steps behind men

move to Japan. They are taught to walk three or four steps behind men
    Now thats just wrong, it should not be more than 2 steps so you dont have to stop and wait for them when you take off or put on your shoes.

Now thats just wrong, it should not be more than 2 steps so you dont have to stop and wait for them when you take off or put on your shoes.
    or have to wait when they bring you a beer?
    lovbyts likes this.

Rwy
    I hit my coach too hard today. ****ing rocked me in the face. Having a hard time chewing right now....lol

Today was my daughters first day in the gym....

...SHE LOVED IT!!!

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    Times when your daughter looks like this I am sure she loves the gym

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Amen. My mom hated my dad for teaching me to fight. Not only saved my arse a few times but also taught me that when you choose fight over flight...you fight to win. No Silver Medal in real life.

There is a boxing gym opening up in town today. Hot dogs, balloons, all the trimmings. Nate Diaz will be there, amongst a few other well knowns. The ring master's name is Richard Perez, older guy, came up through the streets, typical profile of a youngster growing up in a rough neighborhood. So I was talking to him, checking him out, sizing him up, and evidently he trained his brother who went to the Olympics. So for what he is doing, teaching beginners in a valley town, he's well suited for the role. I'll be able to assess his training skills better when I see him doing his thing.

My daughter has been wanting to learn boxing for a couple of years now. But until recently, all boxing gyms too far away. I think all kids should know how to fight. Take care of themselves if they get in a fix.

I try not to push my kids down the same path I went, like I'm reliving my youth. So I'm stoked this is something she wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    Amen. My mom hated my dad for teaching me to fight. Not only saved my arse a few times but also taught me that when you choose fight over flight...you fight to win. No Silver Medal in real life.
    My mom, like many, is a pacifist. When I was a kid, I had one of those massive army man collections. 1000 pieces per side. Two sides, Allies and the Axis. Anyways, I came home from school one day and found she had cut the rifles off all my army men. This must have taken hours?

Rwy
    If you have any training nowadays and you hurt someone you are in deep shit. I was a hot head until I started training. Taught me to keep a cooler head and you never know what other people on the street know. A lot of young kids are training in MMA.....

If you have any training nowadays and you hurt someone you are in deep shit. I was a hot head until I started training. Taught me to keep a cooler head and you never know what other people on the street know. A lot of young kids are training in MMA.....
    quite often, he who hits first.....
    ........hits last

Thread Information