• 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 2 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By APIs

Thread: rights restored?

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member

rights restored?

Anyone well rounded with the law to know about getting your rights restored?

I am embarrassed of my past, and as a kid I got into trouble and have a few felonies on my record. I was 18....and violated probation at 20. I am 34 now. And have never had any contact with law enforcement ever since I got off probabtion at 22. Only even had 1 ticket since then.

I am hoping that showing that I have changed my life around and it was just a stupid kid making stupid mistakes.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    If you can't, just become a politician.

BG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    If you can't, just become a politician.
    Lmao yeah thanks

JJ78 is offline Senior Member
    Well Im from Florida originally. I have a felony there, and just recently tried to get it exponged or sealed, in order to get me gun rights back, and to get a job.

I also have a misdemenor assult charge in another state. This is how he put it to me:

You get a ontime chance to exponge your record, but if you have ever been convicted of any other crime, you cannot exponge your record.
    The example he gave me:
    Lets say you were convicted of murder, did your time and got out. You can have this taken off your record, but if you also stole a loaf of bread at some point and had a misdemeanor chrge for that. You are F*cked.

This is in Florida, dont know if it is true anywhere else.

Oh and mine was a felony possesion of marijuana at 20 years old. It was my personal smoke. kind of ****ed up if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ78 View Post
    Well Im from Florida originally. I have a felony there, and just recently tried to get it exponged or sealed, in order to get me gun rights back, and to get a job.

I also have a misdemenor assult charge in another state. This is how he put it to me:

You get a ontime chance to exponge your record, but if you have ever been convicted of any other crime, you cannot exponge your record.
    The example he gave me:
    Lets say you were convicted of murder, did your time and got out. You can have this taken off your record, but if you also stole a loaf of bread at some point and had a misdemeanor chrge for that. You are F*cked.

Oh and mine was a felony possesion of marijuana at 20 years old. It was my personal smoke. kind of ****ed up if you ask me.
    It is and it isnt. I understand the laws and if u break them u should understand the consequences. What u just explained seems the right way....to keep career criminals from hiding anything.

With that being said. For someone that has shown they changed their life around should be given the chance. I understand I messed up. Just hoping to put it behind me. I have a really.good career. I honestly could continue my life without an issue.

But my wife and I want to buy a house. I would like to have some type of protection in the house for us and want her to get her concealed permit. But I am unsure if I would get in trouble for having a gun in the house.

Also I have my rights to vote and everything else back already. Just not right to bare arms

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    In California, if you have had a felony you can never own a gun again. Some other charges like misdemeanor domestic and things like that you lose them for 10 years.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80 View Post
    Also I have my rights to vote and everything else back already. Just not right to bare arms
    One of the guys @ work ( I'm in SC) had a somewhat similar issue recently..however he was submitting to get his CWP. He had charges from his late teens that he knew would flag his application. Long story short, he started @ his local sherrifs office, went from there to the county courthouse, and then had to jump through some hoops.
    Might be a good place for you to start, Sfla? If you can get CWP rights restored, the issue of the firearm in the house would disappear. Hope everything goes smoothly!
    Last edited by almostgone; 09-25-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    Sfla80 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp859 View Post
    In California, if you have had a felony you can never own a gun again. Some other charges like misdemeanor domestic and things like that you lose them for 10 years.
    I don't know what the rules are if you have the felonies expunged from your record. And I think that's what the OP is asking about.
    Sfla80 likes this.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's much easier if you just dont get caught in the first place.
    Sfla80 likes this.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ78 View Post

The example he gave me:

I don't think I'd want anyone with murder, rape, or any other violent crime in their past to be able to expunge their record. They fvcked up, and need to live with the decisions they made in their past. Not everything should be fixed. Non violent crimes I can tolerate a little better.
    Rwy and songdog like this.

Even if you expunge your record the DOJ can still see a past felony.

Quote Originally Posted by Mp859 View Post
    Even if you expunge your record the DOJ can still see a past felony.
    Yes all gov. Or anything like that can still see ur record. Expunged will be just for public records

Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80
    Yes all gov. Or anything like that can still see ur record. Expunged will be just for public records
    Well unfortunately In CA at least, a felony=Lifetime ban. I would think it would be pretty similar in other states.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    YGPM, Sfla.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Most states allow you to request for your rights to be restored through the Governors office. Check online for your state and see what is needed. In the ones I am familiar with its just an application and you need to attach several letters from reputable ppl such as Clergy, local Chief and or Sheriff, School Superintendent your banker..etc. It can be a bit daunting and time consuming. You may want to consult with a personal crook...I mean attorney. Best of luck.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would suggest that you consult a lawyer if possible. I hired one to help remove some instances I too accumulated in my early years. It was both time consuming & expensive to the tune of $6-7K in total, but well worth it in the end. I can tell you that the courts will work with you if it can be proven that you've been doing the right thing since the trouble(s) occurred....

Quote Originally Posted by APIs View Post
    I would suggest that you consult a lawyer if possible. I hired one to help remove some instances I too accumulated in my early years. It was both time consuming & expensive to the tune of $6-7K in total, but well worth it in the end. I can tell you that the courts will work with you if it can be proven that you've been doing the right thing since the trouble(s) occurred....
    I know it's worth it....and can prove I've been doing right. But hell can't do 6 - 7k now. Would rather buy the wife a house and start a family.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80 View Post
    I know it's worth it....and can prove I've been doing right. But hell can't do 6 - 7k now. Would rather buy the wife a house and start a family.
    It may very well be cheaper for you in Florida. My situation was quite involved and the lawyers cost more where I am. Speak with one first, as they can navigate this for you much better than taking it on yourself...
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by APIs View Post

It may very well be cheaper for you in Florida. My situation was quite involved and the lawyers cost more where I am. Speak with one first, as they can navigate this for you much better than taking it on yourself...
    Ty sir

Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80
    Ty sir
    Just remember even just speaking with one will cost you money. Most Charge per minute for phone calls.

Well I never killed anyone . I was giving you zn example of what I was given

I was aressted with personal weed that resulted in a felony. 2yrs prior was in a bar brawl that I worked at and was charged with a misdermenor assult charge. It has been roughly 8 years since these things happend and have not even had any brush with the law since.

Tried to get my record cleaned so that I can legally own firearms for home protection as well. And could not legally

In florida I guarantee you that if you have a felony and any other charge you cannot exponge your record...I.e now legal firearms in the home. Dont waste your money on lawyer. I had the best criminal defense attorney in north florida consulting me

And it is only 3500 if it can b done

Thread Information