Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By musclestack

Thread: Career plans - Hotel Management - California, perhaps?

Charlie6 is offline Senior Member

Career plans - Hotel Management - California, perhaps?

Hello! So I'm almost 27 years old, just went back to school to finish my Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management. I will be done in May (and already have an Associates degree in business management).

My goal is to work for a nice hotel and have a job that I love. I simply enjoy creating great experiences for people.

My goal is to finish school and start a Manager in Training program at a bigger name. My goals is to work in California.

Unfortunately, I also know damn well that the hotel industry is very dysfunctional, and many hotels run so thin that staffers work 60+ hrs/week and burn out after a year or two. I'd like to avoid that.

Kimpton seems like a great brand (they were just bough by IHG so hopefully that doesn't water the service and pay down). Also, Ritz and Four Seasons seem great, too. I'll probably apply for all three. I'll have to buy fake pee to pass the tests, but that's easy - my friends do it all the time.

Do you guys know of any super cool hotels or resorts in California? Prefereably San Francisco or LA area? But I'm open to anything.

And what are the people like out west? I've lived out East, and am from the Midwest, but I wonder what the West is like....hmm.....

Thanks!

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    I stayed at the mission inn near riverside. It's was very nice and very fun to be there. Hope everything works out for you man, I feel like managing a hotel would be a huge job but probably rewarding in the end of you can do cool stuff for customers. This is of course coming from someone with no experience in the field.
    Last edited by fitnesstrainer; 01-04-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    La Concha in Puerto Rico was hands down the nicest and most fun hotel I've ever stayed at......
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    La Concha in Puerto Rico was hands down the nicest and most fun hotel I've ever stayed at......
    I think it would be more fun/rewarding working at one of the large resorts in Mexico vs working in the US.

OP, why not just clean up whatever you are doing so the pee test isnt a problem? A good start would be get away from you FRIENDS who also are doing the same thing so you dont get dragged back into whatever it is, no details required.

Nicky1010 is offline New Member
    My ex girlfriend is studying in Switzerland...there is a hotel management school there that's apparently the best in the world?

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Do you live in cali??

If not have you looked at their labor laws? I'm in the hospitality business. .not hotels...but just for the fact of calis labor laws. I would never work there.

Something to think about

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I think it would be more fun/rewarding working at one of the large resorts in Mexico vs working in the US.

OP, why not just clean up whatever you are doing so the pee test isnt a problem? A good start would be get away from you FRIENDS who also are doing the same thing so you dont get dragged back into whatever it is, no details required.
    I can only imagine the hospitality industry is a real mo fo in the USA. Outside the USA I imagine it is much more enjoyable for the employees. I'm guessing

I know that in the airline industry, the USA has the absolute worst service. The stewards/stewardesses have some major attitude problems, and only when you fly emerits or Dubai or one of the nice overseas airlines do you really get a nice enjoyable service.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I can only imagine the hospitality industry is a real mo fo in the USA. Outside the USA I imagine it is much more enjoyable for the employees. I'm guessing

I know that in the airline industry, the USA has the absolute worst service. The stewards/stewardesses have some major attitude problems, and only when you fly emerits or Dubai or one of the nice overseas airlines do you really get a nice enjoyable service.

Not to mention, the Emirates stewardesses are HOT!
    RaginCajun likes this.

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

Singapore air....was the best flight I ever took. Full meals. Everyone very polite....goodie bag of like socks head phones...tooth brush. They even did all this one a flight that was 2 hrs

Thread Information