Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hoggage_54
  • 1 Post By thisAngelBites

Thread: Any knife collector here?

SG2009 is offline Member

Any knife collector here?

hey friends....I'm looking for great knife and considering different types too. Could someone tell the difference between switchblade knife, gravity knife and butterfly knife. and which ones are legal or illegal to carry in most states. thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k1.jpg 
Views:	4485 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	158051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2.jpg 
Views:	1671 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	158052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k3.jpg 
Views:	1247 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	158053

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SG2009 View Post
    hey friends....I'm looking for great knife and considering different types too. Could someone tell the difference between switchblade knife, gravity knife and butterfly knife. and which ones are legal or illegal to carry in most states. thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k1.jpg 
Views:	4485 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	158051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2.jpg 
Views:	1671 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	158052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k3.jpg 
Views:	1247 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	158053
    I believe there all illegal(I know butterflies and switch blades are, the closest you can come is spring loaded(not assisted - got picked up in Cali for an assisted switch blade) - good thing my Aunt was the court reporter lol(got it thrown out)

Look at Spider(Co)... They make real nice blades that you can control w/your thumb - you get good enough - there just as good as a switch blade!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Kershaw has some nice assisted open knives and very sharp!

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    I believe there all illegal(I know butterflies and switch blades are, the closest you can come is spring loaded(not assisted - got picked up in Cali for an assisted switch blade) - good thing my Aunt was the court reporter lol(got it thrown out)

Look at Spider(Co)... They make real nice blades that you can control w/your thumb - you get good enough - there just as good as a switch blade!
    spyderco?

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    My pop has a ss knife from the war. There is a market for old blades

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    spyderco?
    Yes! That would be what I meant(& my spelling is off lol) ... Thx

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Real men fight with knives:

Euroholic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post

Let off some steam Bennett

SG2009 is offline Member
    thank u everyone...some told me that spring assisted switchblade are legal as oppose to automatic switchblade....and they can be purchase on sporting good section at any retail stores such as Walmart or amazon....I did a quick internet search....and the result is mixed conflicting information.....I plan to go Walmart in person this coming week....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post

They told us in the army use your spoon if you have to.

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Hi SG I've been collecting knives for about the last 20 years. All the knives you mentioned fall into a kind of gray area when it comes to legality. They are all technically illegal to carry in most states. However, from my experience if your white you can get away with carrying anything besides a balisong without the police busting your balls too much. Never carry a pocket knife in NYC with a pocket clip showing, or I guarantee you will get your knife confiscated and receive a $75 dollar fine. You can tell the police it's a flashlight but they will call reinforcements and you will need to call your lawyer to stop them from violating your rights.

The best bang for your buck right now is a Zero Tolerance zt0560. For around $220-180 you get an American made work of art with 3D milled titanium liner lock handle, KVT ceramic ball bearings, and ElMAX super steel blade with a flipper. Zero Tolerance is a sister company of Kershaw, and their knives have a lifetime warranty.

If you want to talk more shoot me a PM. I also have a few great carry knives that I'm going to sell before I begin my next semester.

pitweiler is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SG2009
    thank u everyone...some told me that spring assisted switchblade are legal as oppose to automatic switchblade....and they can be purchase on sporting good section at any retail stores such as Walmart or amazon....I did a quick internet search....and the result is mixed conflicting information.....I plan to go Walmart in person this coming week....
    It all depends on which state you live in. Wen I was in the marines I had a bunch. Assisted. Spring assisted and one that you pushed a lever and the blade shot out the top. Pull the lever back and it shot back in the handle. I don't know much about knives. Just thought they were cool lol

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    Yes! That would be what I meant(& my spelling is off lol) ... Thx
    Not trying to be pedantic; just thought that might be what you were talking about, and wanted to help people google.
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    Not trying to be pedantic; just thought that might be what you were talking about, and wanted to help people google.
    Much appreciated, TIB!

SG2009 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    Hi SG I've been collecting knives for about the last 20 years. All the knives you mentioned fall into a kind of gray area when it comes to legality. They are all technically illegal to carry in most states. However, from my experience if your white you can get away with carrying anything besides a balisong without the police busting your balls too much. Never carry a pocket knife in NYC with a pocket clip showing, or I guarantee you will get your knife confiscated and receive a $75 dollar fine. You can tell the police it's a flashlight but they will call reinforcements and you will need to call your lawyer to stop them from violating your rights.

The best bang for your buck right now is a Zero Tolerance zt0560. For around $220-180 you get an American made work of art with 3D milled titanium liner lock handle, KVT ceramic ball bearings, and ElMAX super steel blade with a flipper. Zero Tolerance is a sister company of Kershaw, and their knives have a lifetime warranty.

If you want to talk more shoot me a PM. I also have a few great carry knives that I'm going to sell before I begin my next semester.
    thank u for your feedback....I just did a quick google image search and read some interestng review on zero tolerance zt0650.....I think I like that compare to informal Italian stiletto.....let me know if you selling some of your collections on ebay....thanks again!

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    thank u for your feedback....I just did a quick google image search and read some interestng review on zero tolerance zt0650.....I think I like that compare to informal Italian stiletto.....let me know if you selling some of your collections on ebay....thanks again!
    I have many automatic and assisted open knives and the Rick Hinderer style flipper blade is by far the best design. Flipper knives open just as fast and as easily as an automatic with the added bonus of being legal in all states. If you compare the 0650 to the xm-18 you will see that they are essentially the same knife (design and material wise). IMO the 0560 has a nicer handel and is about $1200 less expensive lol.

SG2009 is offline Member
    Just found where to order Jeff Harkin knives but I can't afford it....it is damn over price!!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Check out Jerry Lindt, pretty nice custom knives

Thread Information