Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    noon is offline Senior Member

Rbc regeneration rate

How quickly does our RBC regenerate after giving blood either whole or double red.

I my self give double. And have been thinking about doing self blood draws at home .

At what frequency would I draw . Ball park I know every one is diff

Splifton is offline Associate Member
    Do you frequently take B-Complex vitamins? Obviously you participate in a strenuous exercise which drastically elevates circulating erythrocytes for a couple of days. I know off the top of my head whole blood donations state 56 days between each instance and I'm sure you can verify the validity of that statement by looking through the American Red Cross site. B-Complex is heavily associated with erythropoiesis along with dietary iron.

My AP II book states the production of RBC's can be "quantified" at 2.25M erythrocytes per day. I know I've seen other numbers in various textbooks I've encountered and like you stated earlier... everyone is different. A whole bunch of intrinsic factors to take into consideration and frankly too much to mention without derailing the whole post.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by noon View Post
    How quickly does our RBC regenerate after giving blood either whole or double red.

I my self give double. And have been thinking about doing self blood draws at home .

At what frequency would I draw . Ball park I know every one is diff
    Ideally, you would want to pull a CBC to get an idea of your hematocrit value. Some people use the hemoglobin value and multiply by 3 to get a rough idea of their hematocrit value. There's no exact rate at which everyone cranks out RBC. Personally, I replenish RBC @ a ridiculously fast rate.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If it helps, the average lifespan of a RBC is 110 days. Granted, your body will produce them faster if you lose too much blood.

noon is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Thread Information