Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pinched Nerve?

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions

Pinched Nerve?

So I've had this reoccurring pain in right trap/delt area. It feels like it's traveling over from my spine. Sometimes my whole arm goes all pins and needles feeling. Other times it feels like my bicep, tricep, or the muscles in my forearm are pulled. The weird thing is that it doesn't really hurt when I'm lifting or working (although it has ****ed my bench press and military press up. Although it doesn't hurt its like I'm just missing strength in my right side). It seems to really flare up after I've been sleeping or driving for any length of time. I have full range of motion, and I can do everything with it, it's just very uncomfortable at times.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Am I correct in my assumption that it's a pinched nerve? Advil helps a lot. Heat or ice don't really seem to change it one way or the other.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    These issues are usually caused by a cervical spine injury (like a compressed disk), which places pressure on one of the nerves leaving it and traveling down the arm. If traction therapy helps, there's your diagnosis (and treatment, to an extent).
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

What is traction therapy?

Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    What is traction therapy?
    Google is your friend.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had one for years and it turned out it was a rib that was out in the back. After finding a chiropractor who know how to easily put it back in properly it was 100% better within minutes but I had to go back only a couple of times and one or two times a year.

If it's only muscle/strain besides the traction therapy also use ice.

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have a fused C5 and C6 and a herniated C7 from a motorcycle crash on the race track... so I have nerve damage. I will tell you what I know. Heat irritates nerves, the drug Gabapentin worked for my pain, steroid shots in my spine did not work, pain management guy was a dumb a$$, and home traction devices help a bit (no more than 10 minutes and not to much weight. https://www.healthykin.com/p-2412-dr...SWQaAqZM8P8HAQ

Quote Originally Posted by rhoag View Post
    I have a fused C5 and C6 and a herniated C7 from a motorcycle crash on the race track... so I have nerve damage. I will tell you what I know. Heat irritates nerves, the drug Gabapentin worked for my pain, steroid shots in my spine did not work, pain management guy was a dumb a$$, and home traction devices help a bit (no more than 10 minutes and not to much weight. https://www.healthykin.com/p-2412-dr...SWQaAqZM8P8HAQ
    Gabapentin worked for you? It only makes me sleepy.

Thanks guys. I went to the doctor after work this morning, they said the X-rays didn't show anything too severe. Gave me prednisone, and some awesome pain killers. Hopefully that does the trick.

Hopefully the steroids kick in soon. Because the percocets and the handful of ibuprofen isn't working. Nice buzz, nothing for the pain though. Are there any peptides or anything that fix this kinda stuff? Growth hormone ? I'm at a loss guys. I have a pretty high threshold for pain, but I've never had anything like this that's so constant, and I can't get a break from it.

Oh well, off to the gym for a good leg workout. I could use the distraction.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks guys. I went to the doctor after work this morning, they said the X-rays didn't show anything too severe. Gave me prednisone, and some awesome pain killers. Hopefully that does the trick.
    Xrays? What kind of doctor did you go to?

Xrays dont detect herniated disks, which by your symptoms description seem to relate.

Hopefully the steroids kick in soon. Because the percocets and the handful of ibuprofen isn't working. Nice buzz, nothing for the pain though. Are there any peptides or anything that fix this kinda stuff? Growth hormone ? I'm at a loss guys. I have a pretty high threshold for pain, but I've never had anything like this that's so constant, and I can't get a break from it.

Oh well, off to the gym for a good leg workout. I could use the distraction.
    Don't do any squats, ok?

I had x-rays and CT scan and they said all was good, but almost every time I grabbed a door knob to open the door or carried groceries etc... it felt like 115 VAC going through my arm. Finally they gave me an MRI and it showed my severely herniated C6 and C7. Fused the C6 to the C5.
    A few years later my C7 flared up. I was in constant pain and felt like my right arm was just hanging there like dead weight most of the time. Two weeks on Gabapenten and it was gone. Get an MRI!

Just of my neck/spine facing like five different ways.

It it was an ER doctor since that's all that was open on my way home from work at 6am. I went to my family doctor today. He loaded me up with more pain killers and muscle relaxers. Sending me to go see an orthopedic/neurologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Don't do any squats, ok?
    Yeah... Wish I'd have read that. I kind of knew better, but I did them anyway. Didn't bother me at the time but oh man later... At least my legs will be getting some extra attention if I can't do much else for a bit. Minus the squats for now...

Quote Originally Posted by rhoag View Post
    I had x-rays and CT scan and they said all was good, but almost every time I grabbed a door knob to open the door or carried groceries etc... it felt like 115 VAC going through my arm. Finally they gave me an MRI and it showed my severely herniated C6 and C7. Fused the C6 to the C5.
    A few years later my C7 flared up. I was in constant pain and felt like my right arm was just hanging there like dead weight most of the time. Two weeks on Gabapenten and it was gone. Get an MRI!
    definitly going with the MRI after seeing this. That's what I love about this forum. The experience of others is priceless.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

How have these set backs affected your ability to train? Obviously I'm not trying to make this worse than it already is, but I can't give up on training completely. Probably just work on my legs and Core more in the meantime. Cardio too. Unplanned cut sounds good.

Anybody know if TB 500 would help with this?

Anybody know if TB 500 would help with this?
    No, it will be useless if you have a confirmed diagnose of herniated disk(s).

Not 100% sure what's causing it yet. The 29th is the soonest I could get any Ortho to see me

Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    Herniated disks are terrible! I've had surgery once on my cervical spine to fuse C5&C6.
    If you can't get out of pain in your arm soon. Meaning steroid shots and maybe a chiropractor. You might as well find a good surgeon and get it fused. The pain will get bad. And your arm will atrophy soon. Good luck man! Merry Christmas!

Score is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongblood
    Herniated disks are terrible! I've had surgery once on my cervical spine to fuse C5&C6. If you can't get out of pain in your arm soon. Meaning steroid shots and maybe a chiropractor. You might as well find a good surgeon and get it fused. The pain will get bad. And your arm will atrophy soon. Good luck man! Merry Christmas!
    This is fact!! Same injury, lost my rear dealt, upper tri, part of Lat, forearm, all within a week.

Year later still trying to even out. You'll know when it's surgery time!

bigdil511 is offline Associate Member
    Dude I have pretty much the same thing going on, have an mri done I have degenerative disc disorder. Still waiting on what my treatment will be but my discs are completely fvcked (upper back).

Back in the ER this morning because I woke up screaming. Could not get the pain to quit surging. Could not find one comfortable way to sit or stand for any kind of relief. They gave me Vicodin and Valium and told me it'll probably go away on its own, but the MRI is a good idea, but they can't do those (I mean why would they, it's just a hospital). Took some chest x-rays to make sure it wasn't something else i guess. And back x rays but they didn't show anything abnormal. Think it's a pinched nerve and it will go away on its own. Despite the fact that it's getting worse everyday. Now I've got enough different pills to Heath ledger myself...

and people wonder why I never go to doctors or have any faith in western medicine.

I hope this orthopedic doctor can do something. Or that they're right and it does go away, but I don't see that happening

Score is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars
    Back in the ER this morning because I woke up screaming. Could not get the pain to quit surging. Could not find one comfortable way to sit or stand for any kind of relief. They gave me Vicodin and Valium and told me it'll probably go away on its own, but the MRI is a good idea, but they can't do those (I mean why would they, it's just a hospital). Took some chest x-rays to make sure it wasn't something else i guess. And back x rays but they didn't show anything abnormal. Think it's a pinched nerve and it will go away on its own. Despite the fact that it's getting worse everyday. Now I've got enough different pills to Heath ledger myself... and people wonder why I never go to doctors or have any faith in western medicine. I hope this orthopedic doctor can do something. Or that they're right and it does go away, but I don't see that happening
    It won't most likely, sorry!

I had 2 epidurals which did nothing, you need to get in with a surgeon stat for an opinion. Can your GP refer you?

Sadly, you must advocate for your own healthcare! Have the spasms started yet?

Back in the ER this morning because I woke up screaming. Could not get the pain to quit surging. Could not find one comfortable way to sit or stand for any kind of relief. They gave me Vicodin and Valium and told me it'll probably go away on its own, but the MRI is a good idea, but they can't do those (I mean why would they, it's just a hospital). Took some chest x-rays to make sure it wasn't something else i guess. And back x rays but they didn't show anything abnormal. Think it's a pinched nerve and it will go away on its own. Despite the fact that it's getting worse everyday. Now I've got enough different pills to Heath ledger myself...

and people wonder why I never go to doctors or have any faith in western medicine.

I hope this orthopedic doctor can do something. Or that they're right and it does go away, but I don't see that happening
    Guess Bona was right about the no squats

Quote Originally Posted by Score View Post
    It won't most likely, sorry!

I had 2 epidurals which did nothing, you need to get in with a surgeon stat for an opinion. Can your GP refer you?

Sadly, you must advocate for your own healthcare! Have the spasms started yet?
    yeah, the soonest I could get in for the ortho was the 29th. And I called around ALOT. One of them took all my information after I explained what was going on and needed to get in asap. She said the earliest they could see me was February 2nd, and would that be okay? I was rude after that...
    All these doctors have no sense of urgency.

Ok so the pain meds aren't working like you hoped. Are you also using ice? I'm telling g you ice is the best thing you can use. No heat, only ice. Use it 30 minutes on then off 30 and do it 3x in a row and at least 3x a day.

I've had 2 back surgeries and a shoulder. Use ice now...

You should see a chiropractor asap. You could probably find one to take you today. This sort of problem is right up their alley, and though they may not provide a permanent solution like surgery can, a chiropractor could help get the pain under control until then.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Ok so the pain meds aren't working like you hoped. Are you also using ice? I'm telling g you ice is the best thing you can use. No heat, only ice. Use it 30 minutes on then off 30 and do it 3x in a row and at least 3x a day.

I've had 2 back surgeries and a shoulder. Use ice now...
    I have been icing regularly, and does provide some noticeable relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    You should see a chiropractor asap. You could probably find one to take you today. This sort of problem is right up their alley, and though they may not provide a permanent solution like surgery can, a chiropractor could help get the pain under control until then.
    i have been strongly considering this. Might look into it when I get off work in the morning

The MRI will tell the story. But until then go get your doc to write a script for gabapentin, continue ice (no heat) also I gave you a link to a home neck stretcher...takes the weight of your mellon off your spine.

Any updates?

Thanks for asking. Went to see the orthopedic Tuesday. He's under the impression it's a pinched nerve. He does wanna do an MRI to be sure, and they were supposed to get back to me yesterday with a time and date for that, but I guess I'll have to wait until Monday now, because when I called this morning they were closed for the holiday. He also told me to take off work until the results of the MRI come back, but that's not even remotely practical. I did take the last 2 days off and today though, because I had some sick days to burn up before the end of the year anyway.

And another round of prednisone. Also said if it's just a nerve it'll usually go away on its own eventually, but traction therapy can help. For now I'm just gonna continue to waste away ��
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	995.3 KB 
ID:	161029<~~~ too bad it doesn't say methylTRENbolone...

Finally got my MRI today. Guess I'll have some answers soon
    lovbyts likes this.

Has it gotten any better or worse? Did you continue the ice? I think you should still consider a good chiropractor.

Overall it's gotten better. Some days better than others, but never as bad as it was. Still ice it. Definitely helps.

I I think I will look into the chiropractor. Just gonna see what they tell me about the MRI first.

I will be seeing a chiropractor much sooner than I thought.
    My MRI results were supposed to be in today, but the doctor is out of the office until next Friday. So that's the soonest I could make my follow up appointment or get any results.

Shitty...
    Be sure to bring in any relevant x-rays, discharge summaries, etc to the chiropractor so he doesn't have to guess what's going on with your neck.

For sure.

Finally got my MRI results yesterday. Scheduling doctors appointments is such a bitch when you work in the oil field. Got a ruptured disc between the C6 and C7. So at least I know what's causing everything now. He said there's a 50/50 chance it will get better on its own, so ride it out for awhile and if it doesn't get better or it gets worse we'll discuss surgery.

In the mean time I'm just gonna focus on my legs (minus squats), and arms, forearms, and calves, and kinda cruise on everything else for awhile. Shitty, but I can't really think of a better plan.

crazy_rocks is offline Senior Member
    Me and Lovbyts had a conversation about this a few years ago. I had a herniated disc and inversion therapy worked very well. That's hanging upside down. Unlike traction therapy you can go buy an inversion table for under $150. I don't know if it will help for the exact spot your having problems but it's a very good physical therapy option. It was so bad for me that I had to pick up my left leg and place it in the car. Hanging upside down fixed my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information