Okay, now's where I could really use some help refining the list, taking off notorious lemons, etc, etc. I'm doing my research on each of these vehicles as well, but have found that actual feedback from real people is far more valuable in this regard. As mentioned earlier, I plan on spending 25G...I don't want to go over, as I'd prefer to have no car payments since I may be returning to school next year. Additionally, if I go under 25G, i don't see any of the difference. My father's estate stipulates that, upon graduation from college, myself and my siblings can be given up to that amount to spend on a car. If we don't graduate or don't spend the full amount, we see that untouched amount at, I believe, age 45...so there's no real incentive not to spend near that amount. I'm having an identity crisis of sorts and have narrowed it down to three categories: 1. SUV - makes the most sense since i'm fairly big and like the idea of having room in the vehicle. Also, I have hobbies such as kayaking and rock climbing, so it is good to have the actual utility of an SUV. 2. Sedan - Here's the middle ground, practical like an SUV but fun as well...i tend to see myself ultimately purchasing from this category. 3. Sporty Coupe - I've always wanted a little sports car, and, I'm not strong enough to avoid seriously entertaining this idea, even in new england where it'd only be fun to drive for six months out of the year...the other six it'd be a pain in the ass.

So here are my choices, I'd really appreciate comment or feedback on ANY of these models.

SUVs
Lexus RX300 - It looks like I would be in the range of a 2000 model with about 30,000 miles if I were to go this route. I actually prefer to go used for all models, as I hate the idea of incurring that first 18 months of serious depreciation myself. This is a good choice because it has all the qualities i look for in an SUV but the amenities of a luxury car.
Ford Explorer Sport Trac - I'd either be going very slightly used or new with this one. I test drove one the other day and I was very impressed by the roominess and the options for the money. It felt heavy but maneuverable and it appears to be the frontrunner right now. The only negative aspect of this vehicle is I'm a bit wary of Ford's reputation as the truck gets near three or four years old, and I'd like to keep whatever vehicle I get for five. I'm also a little concerned as to how well it will hold its value.
Nissan Xterra - For the money I'm looking to spend I could go ALL OUT on this one with pretty much everything they offer. They seem to be reliable and also look to be holding their value pretty well so far. I was quite impressed with the room of this vehicle, but not the engine (though I didn't test drive the 220hp, or whatever their big option engine is in the xterra). I love it's true utility, but am a bit turned off by its absolute lack of amenities.

SEDANS
Nissan Altima - Just today I test drove the 3.5L version (3.5SE, i think) and I was blown away by the performance of a vehicle that has all the interior sensibility of a family car. This is no doubt the frontrunner in the sedan category. I love Nissan's reliability, and the girlfriend's father is capable of helping out in a big way with nissan parts and labor should anything go wrong. This was a very impressive car, and should I go with a sedan, will likely win out. The only drawback is, my girlfriend owns the 2.5S version, and I'm not sure I like the idea of us having the same model.
Audi A4 - While I wasn't impressed with the back seat room, and I wasn't as impressed as I'd expected to be with the performance and handling of this car, I'm very pleased with what looks to be one of the best warranties in the business. From what I can gather, it looks like I'd be going just slightly used in this category...maybe a 2001 with very low miles or a 2002 driven by someone who simply likes to change cars every 18 months. There's not a whole lot about the car that floors me, but nor are there any major problems I can see with it either.
Mazda 6 - I hadn't really considered this vehicle until I drove a friend's this week. It is comparable to the Altima, though it slighly underperforms (in my opinion) but looks the part moreso than the Altima. I thought highly enough about the driving experience to put it on my list in the hopes that someone has some additional experience.

SPORTY COUPES
Audi TT - I absolutely love the look of these cars but have not so much as sat in one yet, so it may be the case that I don't fit comfortably. I've heard some negative feedback on performance, but it's been very vague. It appears as though I'd be looking at a 200-2001 with decent mileage (25-30?) in my price range. I'm particularly interested as to anyone's experience with this vehicle.
Porsche Boxster - This is the dream car (within reason). I sat in one last week and just fell in love. As impractical as it might be, this may be my last chance until I'm 45 to own this type of car...between family looming one day and the very real possibility i'll make a career of teaching or public service. I could be anywhere from a 1999 model to a 2000 depending on mileage and extras, and it's going to be hard to say no to this one.
Mercedes SLK - While I haven't dreamt of this car like I have the Porsche, I have a friend out in cali who drives one and she says it's the best thing she's ever driven. She's driven it in northern cali and even into canada in the winter, and says it handles extremely well in inclimate weather. Again, I'd be anywhere from a 1998-2000 model on this one as well. I'll be test driving one soon, but, like the audi TT, would love to hear some feedback in advance.

PS: the BMW's came off my list after a more lengthy test drive. I just wasn't happy with the interior (can't quite explain what I mean) of the model I was looking at. I just was not comfortable in the car after 30 mins or so behind the wheel...it just never felt "right". Again, help from knowledgable drivers is immensely appreciated, as I'm just getting started here.