• 1 Post By Sfla80
  • 1 Post By Charlie6
  • 1 Post By KimboHalfSlice
  • 1 Post By Tlolec the toilet

Thread: Need reassurance about job change from hotels to restaurants

Charlie6 is offline Senior Member

Need reassurance about job change from hotels to restaurants

I'll try to make this not-so-wordy.

I'm 28 years old and recently went back to school for Hospitality management. My internship was with a small resort in northern MN and my current job has been with a Marriott property for the last 14 months.

I hate hotels, and want to go back to restaurants. I was truly happy working my ass off at the restaurants that I previously worked at.

So yesterday I went to a job fair for a restaurant company that is very well known around the twin cities, and they want me to come in for a real interview on Monday. I have a feeling it'd get the job. I'd be a server for a brand new up-scale restaurant that will be opening downtown in a few weeks.

My issue is that my family has been telling me to stay with hotels because I can work my way up to management and have an office, and all that crap. I don't care about any of that. Right now I'm struggling to pay my bills and I hate my job. I want restaurants. All of my friends tell me I should make the switch.

What do you guys think? I feel like if I left hotels, I'd never be able to go back because they'd look at my resume and go 'why the hell do you keep switching?'

Thank you all

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    that is a tough one Charlie.

you have to do what you have to do.

what are the perks of switching? possible server to GM?

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Do what ever it is that makes you happy. Fvck everyone else bra. unless your one of those buddhists you only live once so make the most of your existence. Listen to the voice in your head and accept the consequence.

Some people look at me funny when I say I'm wanna be a psychiatric nurse.

Doing what you love to do = Normal Human Behaviour

Doing what you can go furthest in, have most success in, be admired the most for = Abnormal Human Behaviour

Go with restaurants.

Stick it out and see it through.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Why not try and stay in both and see what perks u get from each(I know In the hotel bizz) you'll receive major perks as in INS(family INS) rooms etc especially if upper management(which the Marriott is known to promote within)

However, do what makes you ultimately happy! I just figured your in a good spot to enjoy nth maybe to see what way u wanta go... Just another way of looking at it best of luck
    Tlolec the toilet and songdog like this.

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree with nach for the INS and perks of a hotel.

But as you know servers make fast and good money if in the right restaurant

Not sure how long you have been in the game for, but I see servers come and go that would be the one down fall. Constantly changing jobs.

If you find the right spot, u could make some money. But you also have to be smart about it.

My wife is in the hotels business and I'm a chef of a restaurant.

I've seen servers in other locations that have been there for 15+ years. And in my spot 8+.

Some can make upwards to 80k-90k and most work 430-530 till 10 ish. But with that said also. You know u will end up paying a good bit back to irs.

Main question would be...do you want to be a server the rest of your life though?
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sfla80 View Post
    i agree with nach for the ins and perks of a hotel.

But as you know servers make fast and good money if in the right restaurant

not sure how long you have been in the game for, but i see servers come and go that would be the one down fall. Constantly changing jobs.

If you find the right spot, u could make some money. But you also have to be smart about it.

My wife is in the hotels business and i'm a chef of a restaurant.

I've seen servers in other locations that have been there for 15+ years. And in my spot 8+.

Some can make upwards to 80k-90k and most work 430-530 till 10 ish. But with that said also. You know u will end up paying a good bit back to irs.

main question would be...do you want to be a server the rest of your life though?

BOOM! ^^

main question would be...do you want to be a server the rest of your life though?

yea...

go where the money is for you. just because a job is fun and chill doesn't mean it's the best option. in fact it may be a good thing that you are miserable. that's just me though. i'm somewhat of a masochist. for me, it has paid off. it might for you too. tons of people don't love their job. come on man! we can't all be so lucky to have and love a "good paying" job. fvck i almost quite mine, about 2 months ago. now i'm getting promoted... hours are shit and the stress is high and the work never ends, but the perks are supreme.

Dont do it Charlie! Don't do it! lol

a man does not have to love his job because his job should not be who he is. a man works hard for his family and the job doesn't really matter as long as that bacon is fat.

sorry, i just feel strongly about this topic. what we are talking about here is sacrifice.
    Last edited by Tlolec the toilet; 09-10-2016 at 03:45 PM.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    You may say you dont care now but that will change with time.No matter how much you like something after a while it all gets boring.But its a lot easier to go to boring job where you are making $80000 and have INS.Things in your life will change believe me.Go with the money and be unhappy for a while.Beacuse if you stay you may dig yourself in a hole you cant get out of.Money fixes everything.Good luck Bro choose wisely!
    Tlolec the toilet, 73rr and NACH3 like this.

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    You may say you dont care now but that will change with time.No matter how much you like something after a while it all gets boring.But its a lot easier to go to boring job where you are making $80000 and have INS.Things in your life will change believe me.Go with the money and be unhappy for a while.Beacuse if you stay you may dig yourself in a hole you cant get out of.Money fixes everything.Good luck Bro choose wisely!
    Not all hotels pay though. My wife only makes 50, and the next step up is basically 60ish. And I'll add she has about 4 managers under her

But u do get benefits.

But I agree. Hotel management is a CAREER

A server is a JOB
    73rr likes this.

Thank you guys so much for your true-to-heart replies.

I should have mentioned in my first post that this transition back to restaurants is mean to be a career. I have a Bachelor's degree is Hospitality Management and am qualified to be a GM some day. My plan is to get in with this particular company because they have structure (11 restaurants, and also just acquired an event center and a farm for throwing parties and for allowing more farm-to-table ingredients to be grown).

If this were a sole-prop restaurant, then I'd agree that there is no room for a career, but this company is different.

I lived in the Philly area for a couple years (with Dukki, if anyone knows him), and worked at a brazilian steakhouse for a while and I absolutely loved it. I remember the managers were HORRIBLE and I said to myself "I can do this better," so that's when I went back to school for Hospitality Management. So to make this move would finally be me doing what I originally wanted to do.

I went with hotels originally because it was easy to see the beautiful fancy snapshots in magazines or on Tv and think "how cool is that" but it's not actually like that. Hotels are a pain in the ass...all you do is listen to pretentious, entitled people complain and demand their money back. It sucks.

I have my interview on Monday for this restaurant, and I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks again, guys!
    NACH3 likes this.

ok, i see your point. there is more potential here and you have the experience. should you get the job your love for it will make you great at it. i remember working for a catering company. i love that job and i was just a server. the manager would always come in high. eventually he got fired and one of the servers was promoted. she was a motivated older woman. i could see how proud she was. we were always hosting wedding parties, company parties, donation events etc. the food was bomb too. there is nothing like making people happy. food and a party is one of the best ways to do it. my job is thankless but it give me power and responsibility.

looks like you have the opportunity to significantly improve your families life if you take a chance. what's the expected pay cut after you switch jobs and how long will it take until you get promoted to a position that equals what you are making now? are there a lot of unknowns? the marginal benifit of being happy doesn't outweigh the pay cut, but what are your chances of getting promoted? do you know? you're talking the long game here though and from what the guys are saying. hotels dont really pay that well unless you are somewhere prestigious. if you aren't and you hate the job now i guess going to a better hotel is out of the question then. the other thing i see you are saying is that this company you are looking at is growing. you have an opportunity to contribute to that in a big way and you want to! the long risk your looking into seems to outweigh your current situation, its future and the investment you have put into it over the years. that's all i know and can see right now.

my motto: "fvck love. give me power"
    Last edited by Tlolec the toilet; 09-10-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Trust me mate money is not everything. in fact it can make you feel miserable and isolated. Do what makes you happy. Dont worry about anyone do not allow anyone to hold you back. Think about you and your needs and go for it

And what is a ins?

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I haven't read everyone's post but u can definitely go back to hotels.

I know for a fact hotels can be very busy work. The good thing about them is they usually higher within. But that doesn't mean u can't style get back in!

If u need more money and love restaurants then go for it. The worst thing possible is u fail and start from the beginning again. No risk. No reward

Some people like being servants. Some of my Hare Krishna friends finish all their emails with "Your servant, "
    Tlolec the toilet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    And what is a ins?
    Ins = insurance.

Thanks again, guys. I'm 28 years old and single with no kids. I should have clarified. When I reference my family I really just mean my folks. I'm excited for the interview tomorrow! It'd be cool to be a part of a new restaurant that will be opening in a couple weeks

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie6 View Post
    Thank you guys so much for your true-to-heart replies.

I should have mentioned in my first post that this transition back to restaurants is mean to be a career. I have a Bachelor's degree is Hospitality Management and am qualified to be a GM some day. My plan is to get in with this particular company because they have structure (11 restaurants, and also just acquired an event center and a farm for throwing parties and for allowing more farm-to-table ingredients to be grown).

If this were a sole-prop restaurant, then I'd agree that there is no room for a career, but this company is different.

I lived in the Philly area for a couple years (with Dukki, if anyone knows him), and worked at a brazilian steakhouse for a while and I absolutely loved it. I remember the managers were HORRIBLE and I said to myself "I can do this better," so that's when I went back to school for Hospitality Management. So to make this move would finally be me doing what I originally wanted to do.

I went with hotels originally because it was easy to see the beautiful fancy snapshots in magazines or on Tv and think "how cool is that" but it's not actually like that. Hotels are a pain in the ass...all you do is listen to pretentious, entitled people complain and demand their money back. It sucks.

I have my interview on Monday for this restaurant, and I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks again, guys!
    I grew up outside of Philly, Charlie... If you don't mind what part?(feel free to pm me too if you don't want it on the open forum)...

It sounds like the restaurant is an up and coming place with loads of potential - you'll get a sign of some sorts on what/& where to go... We usually do
    All the Best brother

Quote Originally Posted by KimboHalfSlice View Post
    Some people like being servants. Some of my Hare Krishna friends finish all their emails with "Your servant, "
    WTF, lol

Ins = insurance.

Thanks again, guys. I'm 28 years old and single with no kids. I should have clarified. When I reference my family I really just mean my folks. I'm excited for the interview tomorrow! It'd be cool to be a part of a new restaurant that will be opening in a couple weeks
    I can't believe you didn't know that, Euro. Were you just be an anal Mr.?

Ins = insurance.

whoa, wait a second. you are single and have no kids? ... Fvck that hotel, go get that damn restaurant job! lol
    73rr likes this.

Thread Information