Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Is the AR-15 an effective weapon for civilians to use against domestic terrorism?

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    in my state its illegal to hunt using the 223 round (except varmint). the reason for this is because of the rounds inability to provide an ethical one shot kill.. this tells you something. my state won't let me take down a 120 pound doe with a 223 cause its not a powerful enough round to guarantee a one shot kill . but my state will let me hunt with an AR-10 chambered in 308 . so its an easy decision as to which one is going to protect my home as well . a 223 is ineffective for hunting a small "naked" deer (according to the dept of wildlife) I'm sure as hell not going to depend on it for a 220 pound speed junkie andrenaline body armor wearing lunatic .
    my rock river in 308 and semi auto shotgun stacked with bucks and slugs are whats in my closet. my ar 15s are in the gun safe and only taken out for the range or coyote hunting
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    I'm sure as hell not going to depend on it for a 220 pound speed junkie andrenaline body armor wearing lunatic .
    Don't call me 220!
    GearHeaded and Beetlegeuse like this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Don't call me 220!
    if its you thats breaking in Obs ,, then I better forget the 308 and be grabbing the 50 BMG
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    if its you thats breaking in Obs ,, then I better forget the 308 and be grabbing the 50 BMG
    Uhhh... I dont think I am gonna take the risk lol
    I like being alive sometimes.
    Cylon357 likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    in my state its illegal to hunt using the 223 round (except varmint). the reason for this is because of the rounds inability to provide an ethical one shot kill.. this tells you something. my state won't let me take down a 120 pound doe with a 223 cause its not a powerful enough round to guarantee a one shot kill . but my state will let me hunt with an AR-10 chambered in 308 . so its an easy decision as to which one is going to protect my home as well . a 223 is ineffective for hunting a small "naked" deer (according to the dept of wildlife) I'm sure as hell not going to depend on it for a 220 pound speed junkie andrenaline body armor wearing lunatic .
    my rock river in 308 and semi auto shotgun stacked with bucks and slugs are whats in my closet. my ar 15s are in the gun safe and only taken out for the range or coyote hunting
    Again, it depends on the environment at the time. In an urban or house to house conflict 5.56 will get the job done. Longer range, then yes, as I stated earlier .270 Win does it for me.

Lots of difference between 50m+ shots at medium game vs ~ 10m and under in populated areas.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Again, it depends on the environment at the time. In an urban or house to house conflict 5.56 will get the job done. Longer range, then yes, as I stated earlier .270 Win does it for me.

Lots of difference between 50m+ shots at medium game vs ~ 10m and under in populated areas.
    I think in cqb the 223 will saw through any tweaker to linebacker. With out pause.

That's slot of energy bring dumped in a body.
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    I think in cqb the 223 will saw through any tweaker to linebacker. With out pause.

That's slot of energy bring dumped in a body.
    Absolutely!

Edit: That's why I started tinkering with the Mk262, Mk318, and the Hornady 77gr BTHP, but then realized at shorter ranges the 55 or 62gr was sufficient.
    Last edited by almostgone; 03-18-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    Obs likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Obs
    I shot a buck 14 times with an ak 5.56 including two vital shots.
    He still made it +100 yards.

Granted it was fmj.
    Still though inside a home you wont get me to fire a rifle in a hurry.
    Its not like in the movies. A car door wot stop a 9mm let alone a 223. Dont want to kill five neighbors and two of my kids protecting them. Shotgun to the chest put any tweeker down instantly.

They tested this with the trench gun in the phillipines when pino's were charging American grunts. They were absorbin 30-40 krag rounds like bbs and killing soildiers with kuhuri knives because the were on narcotics.
    They sent over the trench gun and that shit ceased immediately.
    Think about how big a 30-40 k is to a 223.
    Yes a .223 could be devistating with the right ammo.
    It has its place atound the home but not inside it.
    almostgone likes this.

The there's always the 10mm handloads. That's my house gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images(1).jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	176003
    Obs, KennyJ and Cylon357 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    I've always wanted to shoot / own a full size, full power 10mm auto. I got my start with handguns with a 4" barrell S+W Model 13 .357 Magnum (hence the 357 in Cylon357). It kicked like a mule with 125 grain hollow point loads, and even harder with Winchester Silvertip 145gr. I could probably train into the 10mm recoil.
    It's a lovely round
    Obs likes this.

The there's always the 10mm handloads. That's my house gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images(1).jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	176003
    I'm basically a hybrid type fan being as I love 1911s and Sig P-series, but I did get to put a few mags through a Colt Delta Elite decades ago when I was on active duty. Not as an issue weapon, but spending some quality time with a couple of other shooters in our troop. For a 10mm, I was pleasantly surprised with the handling and followup.

Fast forward to .40S&W popularity and I was thinking the 10mm was going to drift away. Have been pleased to see a resurgence of interest in the cartridge.
    Obs likes this.

I shot a buck 14 times with an ak 5.56 including two vital shots.
    He still made it +100 yards.

Granted it was fmj.
    Still though inside a home you wont get me to fire a rifle in a hurry.
    Its not like in the movies. A car door wot stop a 9mm let alone a 223. Dont want to kill five neighbors and two of my kids protecting them. Shotgun to the chest put any tweeker down instantly.

They tested this with the trench gun in the phillipines when pino's were charging American grunts. They were absorbin 30-40 krag rounds like bbs and killing soildiers with kuhuri knives because the were on narcotics.
    They sent over the trench gun and that shit ceased immediately.
    Think about how big a 30-40 k is to a 223.
    Yes a .223 could be devistating with the right ammo.
    It has its place atound the home but not inside it.
    For your situation with having children in the house and if you have neighbors adjacent, I totally agree and admire that you take that into consideration, many don't, unfortunately.

Out here in rural tweeker territory, it's a really good fit though.

Still debating on getting another pump scattergun for the wife. She can handle 12 ga. but the recoil is a bit much for her, so we will have to settle on what she wants. Nothing as intimidating in the dark as the sound of a shell being racked into the receiver.
    Obs likes this.

For your situation with having children in the house and if you have neighbors adjacent, I totally agree and admire that you take that into consideration, many don't, unfortunately.

Out here in rural tweeker territory, it's a really good fit though.

Still debating on getting another pump scattergun for the wife. She can handle 12 ga. but the recoil is a bit much for her, so we will have to settle on what she wants. Nothing as intimidating in the dark as the sound of a shell being racked into the receiver.
    Give her a 20g. That's a perfect bridge between 12g and 410.

Unless you go 10g..
    Obs likes this.

Give her a 20g. That's a perfect bridge between 12g and 410.

Unless you go 10g..
    I'm thinking 20ga although she likes my old H&R single shot .410 passed down to me when I was 8. LOL, no 10ga, the recoil will put her on her ass in a position to hunt geese.

She got to handle a Mossy 500 cruiser in .410 and she really liked it, but it was gone when I went back to get it for her as a surprise.
    Obs likes this.

I'm thinking 20ga although she likes my old H&R single shot .410 passed down to me when I was 8. LOL, no 10ga, the recoil will put her on her ass in a position to hunt geese.

She got to handle a Mossy 500 cruiser in .410 and she really liked it, but it was gone when I went back to get it for her as a surprise.
    Load 410 with 454 casul. Stagger buck and casul

I'm.not sure if 454 will cycle pumped, but I'm 100% sure they fire and eject
    Last edited by Couchlockd; 03-18-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    Obs likes this.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ...Not a thing wrong with a pump shotgun, I love them, but the title leads me to believe you want quick follow-up capability....
    At this point this thread has devolved into "Ford vs Chevy" and no one's paying any attention to the title (and some of these guys might have "played" the video in the OP but obviously didn't bother to watch it).

As I've said elsewhere, there's nothing wrong with the 5.56 that proper ammunition selection doesn't fix.
    Capebuffalo, Obs and almostgone like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    At this point this thread has devolved into "Ford vs Chevy" and no one's paying any attention to the title (and some of these guys might have "played" the video in the OP but obviously didn't bother to watch it).

As I've said elsewhere, there's nothing wrong with the 5.56 that proper ammunition selection doesn't fix.
    Dodge guy eh...
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Absolutely!

Edit: That's why I started tinkering with the Mk262, Mk318, and the Hornady 77gr BTHP, but then realized at shorter ranges the 55 or 62gr was sufficient.

That's exactly my stance.

.....and I watched the video and listened.
    Last edited by almostgone; 03-21-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Also, personally I think terrorism/extemism will evolve from the single actor to more of a coordinated and frequent small cell activity domestically.

Our borders are porous as fvck, border security is overwhelmed, underfunded, and gets little information or background on illegals that cross.

Have any of you ever considered the size of the Muslim population in Latin America? Not saying all Muslims are radicals or terrorists, that would be inaccurate and false. However, the way our system is so overwhelmed and turning mass groups loose due to inadequate facilities and processing capabilities, how easily do you think it would be for the extremists to start bleeding in? Not to mention we already have our own homegrown idiots.

Edit: Again, I empasize not all sects of Islam are extremists nor believe violence is justified. There are several sects that believe the complete opposite.

Also, not all terrorists are necessarily Muslim. This is just a situation that people are more familiar with.
    Last edited by almostgone; 03-21-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Clarfication
    Obs likes this.

That's exactly my stance.

.....and I watched the video and listened.
    My Mini14 loves 62g boat tail HP.

The yard hates them on the 4th of July.

45 round mag looks like a mad man in a pickup truck gave me a yard job.
    Obs and almostgone like this.

Also, personally I think terrorism/extemism will evolve from the single actor to more of a coordinated and frequent small cell activity domestically....
    That won't be an evolution, that will be a coordinated escalation. And you're right, it will come, if the opportunity presents itself. But if they get too aggressive too early, our response will be too ...ballistic. Their goal is to turn up the temperature on the pot of water gradually enough that the frog inside never notices it's hotting up until he's already cooked.

... I empasize not all sects of Islam are extremists nor believe violence is justified. There are several sects that believe the complete opposite...
    There are oddball sects that are truly non-violent, like the Sufis, but they are little more than background noise to the greater threat of Islam. At least 97% are either Suuni or Shia.

When it comes to the (>97%) Suuni and the Shia, the ones who aren't terrorists are enablers. By not self-policing their religion, they're as good as aiding the terrorists. And when the shooting starts, there won't be time to separate the pepper from the fly shit.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

The simple fact is that, as has been happening from time to time for the last 1440 years, Islam once again is at war with the world. Ignoring that fact doesn't change it.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Islam is too uncoordinated to get anywhere.
    They have no battle strategy.

All great conqerers invaded certain contries strategically one at a time and maintained certain allies. Alexander to Hitler... All strategic as fuck to expand their empire.

Islams battle strategy is to walk up to the ten toughest and biggest kids on the block, slap them all and say, "Fight me bitch".

So they get their ass pounded and their brothers come to avenge them in the same manner.
    "Fight me bitch Allah Akbar!"
    And they are squised like a bug.

This is all terrorism supposedly.
    Terrorism is defined as someone using violence or the threat of violence to make their enemy fear them and do as they say.

Well they arent good at that it doesnt work.

They aren't terrorists they are just historically the worlds shittiest conquerers. They dont convert shit they just murder a few and fuck like rabbits overpopulating at an incredibly primitive rate.

The world outgrew Islam. No strategy or organized cooperation, just retarded cavemen that are a nusiance at best in western society.

Blow up two buildings we blow up two of their countries. Remember "swordfish" the movie?

They hit us we come back 10 times as hard.
    We still do and we always will just as you say.

Obs
    Lol,

Meanwhile the toughest and biggest kids on the block are going... "Where in the fuck are these little bastards coming from?"

Some ass hat in the group goes "Oh they dont mean it like that, I know their folks, they are pretty laid back. This one is just a bad egg."

Then the biggest toughest fucker says, "I am taking his lunch money its laying here and he pissed me off."

Then the Ass hat mumbles some shit about him only beating his ass just to get his lunch money.

Then they go back to playing baseball and fucking here come the cousins of islam... Same shit different day.

Obs
    Love that pepper from flyshit quote btw beetleguese

Islam is too uncoordinated to get anywhere....
    They were coordinated enough to effect the simultaneous hijacking of four commercial airliners, three of which were flown into buildings, shutting down commercial air flight in the US for two days and changing airline security practices forever, and precipitating a war that has yet to end.

Obs
    They were coordinated enough to effect the simultaneous hijacking of four commercial airliners, three of which were flown into buildings, shutting down commercial air flight in the US for two days and changing airline security practices forever, and precipitating a war that has yet to end.
    Yep.
    Gang activity.
    One attack in 18 years.

They got four or five family members in on thst one.
    The rest I couldnt call a war. Skirmishes at best.

*** the real enablers of islam are the ones claiming we should give asylum to them libs/dems.

They have a track record of nothing but shit.
    Keep them out or as you say: when the shooting starts...
    Last edited by Obs; 03-22-2019 at 12:09 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information