AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires

Angry Bend over so Microsoft can rape you! I'm so pissed...

As if suing 871 individual CUSTOMERS wasn't enough for "copyright infringment", look at this new chip and software the RIAA, Microsoft, intel, and every other big name computer company wants to put in the new generation of computers....

The following excerpt is from http://www.sharpwit.com/cgi-bin/shar...palladium.html

"TCPA or Trusted Computing Platform Alliance is a "new computer platform" led by Intel (the CPU chip maker) and supported by "Bill" (Of Microsoft fame). TCPA is the chip's architecture and "Palladium" is Microsoft's name for the software which supports TCPA. TCPA will stop operation of any of your unlicensed software by interacting with "Pallium", to determine if your use is legitimate.

The first obvious application of the technology is DRM (digital rights management), so you can't play DVDS or CDS on your home computer without buying or renting them first.

A second application: sensative material published by the Government,large military or industry complexes will be "classified" and only readable by "their own TCPA machines". Documents, emails or applications can no longer be electronically "leaked" to unauthorized persons.

The danger of this new "TCPA" is that all documents on your home computer can be remotely censored to delete pirated music, or documents that a court (or software company) has decided are offensive - for example an article criticizing a political leader, or allowing you to switch software applications from one company to its competitor's product. For example: Microsoft Word could encrypt all your Word documents, using keys that only Microsoft can understand, that disallow any competitors software from using or reading them. Idle speculation? No, not anymore: Microsoft has reached a compromised settlement with the US Government, despite its monopolistic practices, that is favourable to Microsoft but not to its plaintiffs. Why; because Microsoft has lots and lots of money and controls many influential people in government and industry."

If you're as pissed and surprised as I am, there's some more good info at
    http://209.157.64.200/focus/news/707684/posts

I have no idea what normal people like you and me can do about this but there has to be something. AR brothers, lets get together and all go kick Bill Gates in the nuts...
    Last edited by AandF6969; 07-21-2003 at 12:10 AM.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I don't care what they do!! I've said it before and i'll say it again.... You can't stop HACKERZ!!! This new shit will have a crack or patch to bypass it just like Windows XP did before they released it.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I have to agree with LordBlitz with microsofts record on security I don't think to many people are quaking in their boots.

Needtobeswoledup is offline Associate Member
    They sued 871 individuals for pirating software? When was this?

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont care too but you have to admit this is some crazy shit!!!what would be next...this is a total big brothers propaganda, just look a this quote:

Why; because Microsoft has lots and lots of money and controls many influential people in government and industry.

Bill Gates

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I DESPISE microsoft. Last year I purchased a new desktop and laptop since my other two were quickly fading and it was the only way i was going to finish up my last year without living in the library. After these two purchases, i had very little disposable income, so I purchased the student version of office XP for 100 bucks and put it on my desktop...i then went to install it on my laptop and was told I had to register it. I did this and they said that the copy was already running on a computer...yeah dickheads, my desktop!! And since my laptop serves as the go-between, I'd like to put it on there as well. Their answer: too bad...go buy another copy. So i guess you don't buy software anymore but lease it.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I think this is the more frightening angle on the story:

MS to eradicate GPL, hence Linux
    By Thomas C Greene in Washington
    Posted: 25/06/2002 at 22:30 GMT

Yesterday, as we all know, Microsoft fed an 'exclusive' story about its new 'Palladium' DRM/PKI Trust Machine to Newsweek hack Steven Levy (a guy who writes without irony of "high-level encryption"), presumably because they trusted him not to grasp the technology well enough to question it seriously. His un-critical announcement immediately sparked a flurry of articles considering what this means to the Windows user base.

But here's the diabolical bit. Linux distributors are going to lose big time if they remain faithful to the GPL. Palladium will either break the GPL, or if not, break Linux.

It's the very fact that this appears insoluble to me that helps me realize that MS has put tremendous, careful thought into it. To make the [internet] Linux-hostile, MS is taking dramatic steps to make it GPL-hostile. Very clever and admirably diabolical.

(The GPL or The GNU General Public License, created by Richard Stallman, serves as the de facto constitution for the Free Software movement. It covers the majority of Free Software/Open Source software and has become the legal and philosophical cornerstone of the Free Software community. From the GNU open source website)

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I don't care what they do!! I've said it before and i'll say it again.... You can't stop HACKERZ!!! This new shit will have a crack or patch to bypass it just like Windows XP did before they released it.
    AMEN BROTHER!!!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Some of you are acting surprised. I wouldn't expect any less from the United States of Microsoft. They'll get away with it because they own the vote and people will still buy their products.

"They sued 871 individuals for pirating software? When was this?"

It wasn't Microsoft that sued but the RIAA for people having copywrited mp3's on their computers. Microsoft and RIAA have a partnership over this new chip and software that is going to come out though.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    But here's the diabolical bit. Linux distributors are going to lose big time if they remain faithful to the GPL. Palladium will either break the GPL, or if not, break Linux.

It's the very fact that this appears insoluble to me that helps me realize that MS has put tremendous, careful thought into it. To make the [internet] Linux-hostile, MS is taking dramatic steps to make it GPL-hostile. Very clever and admirably diabolical.
    what exactly does that mean? it doesn't make sense to me. "to make the internet linux-hostile, MS is taking dramatic steps to make it GPL-hostile"...what exactly does that mean? how do they plan on accomplishing that? it sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

i've been using linux exclusively on all 5 of my machines for 2 years now and LOVE it. free software is the shit. little does everyone know, there is free software out there that is alternatives for everything yall are using now. not only are they free, but very well written also. learn linux, and thus stop bitching about MS...=)

the linux community is too strong now...IBM invests billions of dollars a year in promoting linux technology. many companies do. linux is fast growing beyond a bunch of spare time hackers. it has the financial backing of many huge companies now...as well as professional developers from those companies working to improve it and bring it up to speed with todays expensive commercial operating systems.

long live linux...a computer scientist's and computer programmers's operating system! =)

-- clocky baby

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    what exactly does that mean? it doesn't make sense to me. "to make the internet linux-hostile, MS is taking dramatic steps to make it GPL-hostile"...what exactly does that mean? how do they plan on accomplishing that? it sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

i've been using linux exclusively on all 5 of my machines for 2 years now and LOVE it. free software is the shit. little does everyone know, there is free software out there that is alternatives for everything yall are using now. not only are they free, but very well written also. learn linux, and thus stop bitching about MS...=)

the linux community is too strong now...IBM invests billions of dollars a year in promoting linux technology. many companies do. linux is fast growing beyond a bunch of spare time hackers. it has the financial backing of many huge companies now...as well as professional developers from those companies working to improve it and bring it up to speed with todays expensive commercial operating systems.

long live linux...a computer scientist's and computer programmers's operating system! =)

-- clocky baby
    I agree, if Microsoft starts REALLY pushing their fucken luck, people will just come out with more/newer operating systems. Linux is VERY popular, especially amongst young programmers, students. And I know they are teaching it more in universities, and that is actually how a friend of mine got into it, and he uses it all the time, really likes it as well. So these things are NOT that easily "killed off"

Think about it, for many many months, even years, they've been talking shit about restricting mp3's, etc... People have been downloading mp3's and shit like that for over 4-5 years now, and it will not end. There is always a way around these things. People were really scared/pissed off about that Pentium 3 bullshit, of how they were gonna spy using your I.P. or some shit like that, and it never got that big.

The only thing that would really scare me would be for Microsoft, Intel, AMD and all the bios and mobo chipset makers to act in collusion with the US gov, and come out with a new system (processor, chipset, whatever) that ONLY works with a Microsoft OS and has a few backdoors for "homeland security" (big brother), the RIAA also needs their backdoor in your system, hmmm and who else while we're at it?

This would be the best way for der Microsoft Fürher to kill off linux AND keep the Us Gov happy and also keep the RIAA happy.

What a nightmare scenario!

Red

ichiban is offline Female Member

Quote Originally Posted by ichiban
    Those fuckers!!!

I read about a new version of "Kazaa Lite" that is supposed to be able to hide your song lists from users and also your I.P adress and screen name when someone is downloading.

I'm a little more paranoid then a lot of people I know, I have at least 820 mp3 files to worry about. Why can't lawsuits get settled the old fashioned way, with a good old fashioned ass whoopin'?

And Red Ketchup - From what I got out of those two articles I posted, it sounds like they can make the "Fritz" chip and software ONLY work with the software they want it to. So they could make Microsoft the only OS that will run on those boards.
    Last edited by AandF6969; 07-22-2003 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    The only thing that would really scare me would be for Microsoft, Intel, AMD and all the bios and mobo chipset makers to act in collusion with the US gov, and come out with a new system (processor, chipset, whatever) that ONLY works with a Microsoft OS and has a few backdoors for "homeland security" (big brother), the RIAA also needs their backdoor in your system, hmmm and who else while we're at it?

This would be the best way for der Microsoft Fürher to kill off linux AND keep the Us Gov happy and also keep the RIAA happy.

What a nightmare scenario!

Red
    Well, even if they WERE to do something like that, remember there will always be rebels. Hell, look at steroids , they are illegal, but people make then in their basements, SO, if need be, and if the situation REALLY became desperate, they would start underground companies JUST to make a chip that is different, or tons and tons of hacks n cracks

But it's all about the money, so who knows, competition is too heavy for them to just lay back and let someone decide wut to do.

Thread Information