Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Fluidic Kimbo
  • 2 Post By charger69
  • 2 Post By Ashop
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By krugerr
  • 1 Post By Fiskevatten
  • 1 Post By Fiskevatten

Thread: Getting used to being CEO and am I wrong?

Fiskevatten is offline Member

Getting used to being CEO and am I wrong?

Hi guys,

So business is sparkling and I'm actually planing to expand to a second business in a month.
    Granted, I'm very new and things can take a drastic turn fast, but on paper it looks awesome so far.
    No new issues with co-owners.

Now, I was born a hard worker, mostly in general work, care, security and freelance.
    I know my job, I do my job, I get free time when done.
    Money is fixed and I always know what I'm supposed to get.

This CEO part is making me nervous.
    I have started something good, and I have people under me who handle most things, and this is
    where I feel awkward.

I feel I have too much free time!
    My head is constantly thinking of "What have I missed", "What can I improve right now", and I get nothing
    at the moment.
    I also earn more, which feels wrong.

Is being CEO with employees under you supposed to be easier? At least that is how I feel.
    I can't wrap my head around relaxing and still earn.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm learning and I want to make the best not only for myself, but
    for everyone I have under me as well.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    If your problem is thinking too much when you don't want to be thinking then a possible solution is meditation.

I would not be able to maintain the life I live if I did not meditate for an hour a day. I have a full time job as a computer programmer and then I visit people in psychiatric care in my free time. Then I have my hobbies where I meed to concentrate like brass band, making stuff from wood and sheet metal out my back garden. Church on Sunday. No way would I be able to keep this all going if I didn't meditate for an hour each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Cameron View Post
    If your problem is thinking too much when you don't want to be thinking then a possible solution is meditation.

I would not be able to maintain the life I live if I did not meditate for an hour a day. I have a full time job as a computer programmer and then I visit people in psychiatric care in my free time. Then I have my hobbies where I meed to concentrate like brass band, making stuff from wood and sheet metal out my back garden. Church on Sunday. No way would I be able to keep this all going if I didn't meditate for an hour each day.
    I've haven't had the patience to learn it, but I've only heard great things about it! Thanks mate! Will give it a try again for overall mental health.
    Still gotta figure out the above part if it's supposed to be like this

There is an old Zen saying:

You should sit quietly for 20 minutes a day, unless of course you don't have the time, in which case you should sit for an hour
    Fiskevatten and sv.elia like this.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskevatten View Post
    Hi guys,

So business is sparkling and I'm actually planing to expand to a second business in a month.
    Granted, I'm very new and things can take a drastic turn fast, but on paper it looks awesome so far.
    No new issues with co-owners.

Now, I was born a hard worker, mostly in general work, care, security and freelance.
    I know my job, I do my job, I get free time when done.
    Money is fixed and I always know what I'm supposed to get.

This CEO part is making me nervous.
    I have started something good, and I have people under me who handle most things, and this is
    where I feel awkward.

I feel I have too much free time!
    My head is constantly thinking of "What have I missed", "What can I improve right now", and I get nothing
    at the moment.
    I also earn more, which feels wrong.

Is being CEO with employees under you supposed to be easier? At least that is how I feel.
    I can't wrap my head around relaxing and still earn.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm learning and I want to make the best not only for myself, but
    for everyone I have under me as well.
    It sounds like you are energetic. Just take into consideration your workforce. You should always be improving, but the workforce needs stability also.
    If your ideas become their ideas you’ll get there without the normal resistance to change.
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fiskevatten and Cylon357 like this.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds like you earned your spot to CEO. Reap the rewards of your labor, don't feel guilty.
    Fiskevatten and sv.elia like this.

I appreciate it guys! Side question - do any of you have any tips/ advice on a youtube channel or book I can read to become a better CEO?
    I would love to learn more.

Is CEO a common term in America? 15 years ago in Europe, people would call themselves 'managing director' and similar terms, but I think in recent years people are going with more simple and direct words like 'owner' and 'employer'.

I try to avoid all that nomenclature and just use the word 'head' in a lot of circumstances, especially when it gets complicated with companies being divided into shares.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Cameron View Post
    Is CEO a common term in America? 15 years ago in Europe, people would call themselves 'managing director' and similar terms, but I think in recent years people are going with more simple and direct words like 'owner' and 'employer'.

I try to avoid all that nomenclature and just use the word 'head' in a lot of circumstances, especially when it gets complicated with companies being divided into shares.
    I just use the term CEO since most recognize it, me myself is from Scandinavia and we have our own choices there.
    However, there are tons of shortenings in the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    You have to start thinking about what constitutes 'work' differently. You are likely used to thinking more hands on: implementing specifics. As CEO,your job must be more strategic. If you aren't thinking about the future, you are failing as CEO.

In other words, you build the future you want in the present.

Strategizing on how to get to that future state is a large part of your job now. It only seems that you aren't working as much now because the nature of your work has changed.

Now, if you aren't thinking forward, then yes your work load has decreased. You are also heading into trouble if that is the case.
    Very true! My experiences are very much "Hands on", but I have a creative soul and have always seen faults or improvement possibilities in all companies I've worked for.
    However, since I'm no one, the companies have never listened to me.
    Now I have the chance since I make the calls, and want to always do the best ones.

Issue is that it's a waiting game, and I'm very bad at that since I want answers/ results/ statistics immediately to proceed.
    This waiting is making me feel I'm doing a bad job, when I don't really know why.

Got tons of notes and ideas, but each step at a time.
    Just "energetic" as it was pointed out above, and it makes me feel lazy or "wrong" waiting.
    Hope I make sense

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    being 'boss man' and CEO, simply means your a SERVANT , more then you are a 'boss'.. thats how good leadership works, through serving and caring for others.

never forget that.. never forget your people that you serve, willingly. be humble and caring and cherish those who surround you.. and you will never fail to be successful
    Fiskevatten likes this.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hey dude - glad to read things are going well.

A good friend of mine is a very successful business coach over in the USA. He was over in the UK last year and we caught up for lunch and I was picking his brains on a few things.
    One of the key things he said that most directors/CEO's dont do is delegate enough.

find the 10-15% of the business you're good at, and hire other people to do the rest. Sounds like you've already done the second part, you've got everything else automated, so now focus on the bit you do best. If its networking do that, if its "hooking the client" do more of that.

Me, im a sales guy, I have great first calls with clients, get them bought in, undertand their needs and requirements, source the best product. After that, its compliance, paperwork, chasing etc. Im no good at that part. If I could just do "first calls" all day, I'd make an absolute mint!
    Fiskevatten likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    being 'boss man' and CEO, simply means your a SERVANT , more then you are a 'boss'.. thats how good leadership works, through serving and caring for others.

never forget that.. never forget your people that you serve, willingly. be humble and caring and cherish those who surround you.. and you will never fail to be successful
    This is the approach I have gone for, not only for the ones directly under me, but the "little people" as well.
    I create bonus systems, competitions, games (for fun), jump in and praise/ give advice, have "ask CEO anything days", handle intrigues directly with personel and so on.
    In other words, always be there.
    I also ask regularly what can be done better, suggestions and so on from everyone and try my best to implement what I believe can be beneficial for all.
    I also handle all markering talks and even if they don't seek opportunities with me, I help them find someone else.

If it is one thing I hated in a 9-5 job, was never being listened to and valued for more than my position.
    This has given me praise and a good reputation, just hope it will stick.
    sv.elia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    Hey dude - glad to read things are going well.

A good friend of mine is a very successful business coach over in the USA. He was over in the UK last year and we caught up for lunch and I was picking his brains on a few things.
    One of the key things he said that most directors/CEO's dont do is delegate enough.

find the 10-15% of the business you're good at, and hire other people to do the rest. Sounds like you've already done the second part, you've got everything else automated, so now focus on the bit you do best. If its networking do that, if its "hooking the client" do more of that.

Me, im a sales guy, I have great first calls with clients, get them bought in, undertand their needs and requirements, source the best product. After that, its compliance, paperwork, chasing etc. Im no good at that part. If I could just do "first calls" all day, I'd make an absolute mint!
    Thanks man! Truly great meeting experienced people and pick their brain, I had the pleasure of meeting several strategist a few years ago on a convention.
    A few of those were Tony Robbins, Pitbull, Hubert Freidl, and Eric Worre.
    Truly great people!

I will actually take that with me -"delegate more", thank you for sharing! I have never been afraid of asking for help if needed, but I rather be the go to person, so
    I usually feel worse when I can't be everywhere.
    I'm a creative guy with people skills, everything else is new and I'm learning.
    Sales is probably the best skill you could ever have, there isn't a single situation where that isn't a great skillset! Everything that has people in it usually has some
    form of sales in it, even dating, making new friends, or solving intrigues.
    Last edited by Fiskevatten; 05-21-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    krugerr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    It makes perfect sense.

One thing to add on the bolded comment above: You are going to make mistakes. Don't sweat it when you do, if it is a good, honest mistake. Just learn from them and move on. The various directors/VPs/C level people I have worked with aren't perfect (in fact, some are downright dumb). The ones that last are the ones that don't beat themselves up over a mistake.

I like to say that I have made every mistake in the book and I liked some of them SO much, I made them again later.

But I do think I should make the distinction between a mistake and an overt criminal or immoral act. Here is a few examples:

Picking the wrong tech and having to change course midstream: mistake.
    Hiring the wrong person and having to fire them: mistake.
    Showing your d!ck to and grabbing the boobs of a unreceptive female employee: immoral and possibly criminal act.
    Accepting money from a friend then giving it back in the form of 'payment': criminal act.

Mistake = no sweat. Criminal / immoral act = sweat like you just ran a marathon in the jungle.

I know most people don't have a problem distinguishing between the two, but I have been surprised before...
    Big thank you, valuable lesson for sure! Mistakes are often seen as failure, which is some degree it is, but not using them to learn and grow is the real failure.
    I have a quote that I love regarding mental weakness -"To be mentally hurt or weak is never bad, choosing to stay that way is".
    Think it was phraced better, but that can be applied to most of the things in life.

Regarding the last part between distinguish the two - it's not a suprise that many many on top are sociopaths, narcissists or similar.
    The climb by using and stay by using.
    I posted a thread here some year ago that I got fired, that was from a horrible human being on top.
    She is still using and abusing people to this day, carefully so no proof is left to take her down.

Thread Information