Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mp859
  • 1 Post By RaginCajun
  • 1 Post By RaginCajun

Thread: Anyone here take probiotics?

musclestack is offline Productive Member

Anyone here take probiotics?

I have been searching for a new probiotic for my gut health. I'm currently using an off-the-shelf Walmart brand, but it doesn't seem to be helping all that much. I frequently suffer from bloating and gas, as well as occasional constipation even though my diet is high in fiber.

I'm looking for a refrigerated probiotic for a decent price that would help me out with these issues. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Honestly never got much from them. I find better relief with some papaya enzymes and a little extra fiber from a supplement every night before bed.

you can buy a big ass case at the cosco near me, but not all costcos are the same. fvck i love costco. fvck fvck fvck, lol! ...fvck

Quote Originally Posted by Mp859 View Post
    Honestly never got much from them. I find better relief with some papaya enzymes and a little extra fiber from a supplement every night before bed.
    I'll look into the Papaya enzymes, Mp. Thanks. I've read some really good reviews on probiotics online, but there's so many I figured I would ask hear since a lot of us share similar diets.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    I'll look into the Papaya enzymes, Mp. Thanks. I've read some really good reviews on probiotics online, but there's so many I figured I would ask hear since a lot of us share similar diets.
    The refrigerated ones probably would be your best bet but also cost a lot more money. I would rather eat some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese that contains live cultures.

Papaya enzymes and a good fiber supplement will most likely resolve your issues. I like the fiberlyze from species. I make a little slushy out of it every night and it is even more amazing when dieting haha.
    musclestack and NACH3 like this.

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    Sauerkraut, read about it.

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp859 View Post
    Bump this...I use Digestive Enzymes and love 'em.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    A brand with a broad spectrum of species is probably the best bet. Walmart brands probably aren't the best. I would suggest either from food sources or from like a whole foods. Honesty though, eating leafy greens, organic yogurts and not sanitizing everything to the extreme is probably the best way to keep your micro flora happy.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I was using New Chapter (brand) All Flora probiotic, but I just checked on their website and I don't see any probiotics listed. Amazon also says it's "currently unavailable." Which doesn't do you any good, except that it did work for me, lessened my symptoms (IBS) that stayed gone when I stopped taking them. Which I consider 'proof' that there are some out there that work.

If you haven't tried peppermint oil, it always has worked great for me, but it only suppresses symptoms (abdominal pain and cramping) but didn't reduce the occurrence of symptoms or make the condition go away. I started using some that were enteric-coated, which didn't work any better but it does keep you from tasting peppermint every time you burp. I still keep some on hand for flare-ups, Now (brand) peppermint gels that I get from a local health food store. Peppermint candy also works in a pinch, but the relief isn't so strong or as long-lasting. In fact, there a scene in the classic John Wayne western 'The Shootist' where Wayne's character mentions eating peppermints to settle his stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0922 View Post
    Bump this...I use Digestive Enzymes and love 'em.
    What did the enzymes do for you, Scorpion? I'm looking for a cure for my IBS-like symptoms (bloating, gas, occasional constipation).

I ordered a highly rated probiotic from Amazon. It needs to be refrigerated, so they sent it in a cold pack. Just checked the tracking info, and FedEx dropped it off at my door. Going to try to get out of work a bit early so I can run home and throw it in the fridge...I'm sure the ice has melted by now, but the sooner I get to it, the less chance of the live cultures going bad. I will let you guys know how it works. If not, I'll try something else until I can find a solution to my problem.

What did the enzymes do for you, Scorpion? I'm looking for a cure for my IBS-like symptoms (bloating, gas, occasional constipation).
    They help break down food so the body keeps the digestion machine rolling.

Remember, we're eating a lot more than a human is "supposed" to and it may take a little help to keep everything moving.

I had those symptoms as well before I started digestive enzymes.

I also swallow a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar 2x a day to help break down anything that's sitting in the intestines or colon (I forget which)
    Last edited by Scorpion0922; 08-17-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0922 View Post
    They help break down food so the body keeps the digestion machine rolling.

Remember, we're eating a lot more than a human is "supposed" to and it may take a little help to keep everything moving.

I had those symptoms as well before I started digestive enzymes.

I also swallow a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar 2x a day to help break down anything that's sitting in the intestines or colon (I forget which)
    I was going I coming back in here to add that raw fermented ACV is great for digestion and as a probiotic

I eat some pineapple after a meal rich in meat. Pineapple has an enzyme called bromaline which is the active ingredient in most digestive enzyme supplements because of its proteolytic properties.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 08-17-2016 at 10:37 PM.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I take Enzymedica Basic digestive enzymes and eat a cup or two of Chobani FF plain yogurt w/ some fresh peaches, berries, or pineapple in it every day.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    A brand with a broad spectrum of species is probably the best bet. Walmart brands probably aren't the best. I would suggest either from food sources or from like a whole foods. Honesty though, eating leafy greens, organic yogurts and not sanitizing everything to the extreme is probably the best way to keep your micro flora happy.

^^^ this! I get mine at whole foods they have over 50million live cultures up to 100+ million - you'll be spending about £60 on a bottle but as MS said keep refrigerated and we need the good bacteria in our guts

They've served me well... I have GI probs - and no spleen... Also magnesium chelated works very well, too!
    Last edited by NACH3; 08-18-2016 at 08:00 AM.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    I was going I coming back in here to add that raw fermented ACV is great for digestion and as a probiotic

I eat some pineapple after a meal rich in meat. Pineapple has an enzyme called bromaline which is the active ingredient in most digestive enzyme supplements because of its proteolytic properties.
    i thought one eats pineapple because his other half likes the outcome?
    almostgone likes this.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post

Ha

(I'd have just hit "like" but my phone won't allow that)

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I have been searching for a new probiotic for my gut health. I'm currently using an off-the-shelf Walmart brand, but it doesn't seem to be helping all that much. I frequently suffer from bloating and gas, as well as occasional constipation even though my diet is high in fiber.

I'm looking for a refrigerated probiotic for a decent price that would help me out with these issues. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I am a solid believer is pro biotics. I had a stomach aliment for over 6 weeks and nothing the MD's were giving me were helping. I had lost over 20lbs. I started using a pro biotic daily and within 2 weeks I was much better.

Thanks for all the info guys. I received my order yesterday. Rushed home to put it in the fridge. The ice pack was melted already, but it seemed to still be somewhat 'cool'. Anyway, took my first capsule last night. I don't know if it's just placebo, but I am much less gassy and bloated today. Stomach doesn't seem to be protruding quite as much. Was somewhat constipated this morning (as usual), but the other symptoms seemed better. I will update over the weekend.

I'm going to stick with the probiotic only for a couple weeks to see how I respond to it. If I feel I need something else, I will look into the digestive enzymes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    I don't get it?

Maybe I will ask DSM in his thread to explain.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    I don't get it? Maybe I will ask DSM in his thread to explain.
    He will definitely have a great explanation as to why
    almostgone likes this.

I don't get it?

Maybe I will ask DSM in his thread to explain.
    It's suppose to make your jiz taste better so your girl will swallow when giving you head. Like in the movie "Whipped"

Kevin.archer is offline New Member
    Try Hyperbiotics PRO-15, 5 Billion CFU - 15 strains. (Amazon) I know they work well. My wife has had stomach issues for years and these set her straight. Takes about a week to stabilize you. She has since recommended them to friends and 2 others (that she recommended them to) have had very good experiences with them. I take them as well but have always had an iron gut, so less of a difference with me. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.archer View Post
    Try Hyperbiotics PRO-15, 5 Billion CFU - 15 strains. (Amazon) I know they work well. My wife has had stomach issues for years and these set her straight. Takes about a week to stabilize you. She has since recommended them to friends and 2 others (that she recommended them to) have had very good experiences with them. I take them as well but have always had an iron gut, so less of a difference with me. Hope this helps...
    Thanks, Kevin. What kind of symptoms was your wife having when you say "stomach issues"?

Oliver47 is offline Junior Member
    My physician highly encourages taking a probiotic all the time. You don’t need to find a fancy expensive one. Look for an option that has several different probiotic strains - longer ingredient list. It’s hard to go wrong! I just search on google and found a nice deal on https://microbiomeplus.com/collectio...31253741076580. Also you can eat probiotic reach products - for example yogurt, I love the Activia ones in black cherry or prune
    Last edited by Oliver47; 07-21-2020 at 04:01 AM.

By far the best I've ever tried is Just Thrive brand. I live in the proverbial small town that only has one stoplight. And we've had this same health food store in business here for more than 20 years so they obviously are doing something right. I'd bought pro-biotics from them in the past but had gone a few years without needing any.

About two years ago I was having an argument with my colon (which, as usually is the case, the colon was winning) so I stopped by for a refill. They'd brought on new brands since I was in last so I asked which was the best they carried, expecting her to show me something in the refrigerated case. Instead she steered me to something sitting out on a shelf, Just Thrive.

I asked her why it wasn't refrigerated and she said the bacteria aren't alive. So I asked if it wasn't the case that all the best ones contain living bacteria and she said not any more. The ones that contain living bacteria mostly get killed when passing through the stomach before they get to the gut. The bacteria in Just Thrive are dormant and only get revived once it's reached the gut. Their research claims the survival rate for their bacteria is 1000 times higher than for living bacteria strains.

So I bought a bottle. $50 for 30 capsules, to be taken one a day. And for all intents and purposes my argument with my gut was 'cured.' Considering what it did to my bowel habits I'm also inclined to believe that it out-bred and completely replaced my natural intestinal bacteria. But the shit damn sure worked.

Now that I think about it, I think I'll drop by there in the morning and get a re-charge.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    I was taking Actimel every morning but had to give it up when I decided to lose my pot belly....... it's 11.6g of sugar per 'shot'.

My abs are nearly back now... another two weeks and they should be very visible... and so then I might eat more healthily/nutritiously.

-Ender- is offline Not Retired
    This thread is four years old.

incorporate white rice into your diet.

Frank777 is offline Junior Member
    I also used to take probiotics. I ordered them on virtual pharmacy site and it was very convenient. But when my wife bought a slow cooker, we started making yougurt there. It works as good as probiotics, so I don't buy them anymore.
    Last edited by Frank777; 08-03-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
    ...It works as good as probiotics, ...
    That is a suspiciously (overly-?) broad statement.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Kefir probiotic yogurty drink is delicious, imo. Probiotics work much better when they’re alive in a consumable form.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I take probiotics and digestive enzymes. I find it helps with large meals going down smoothly.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I remember getting from GNC those probiotics that were like eating Starbursts candies. Don't ever buy them. It's a bad idea. They'll feel like you're eating candy and you'll end up having way too many and give yourself the shits.

Thread Information