Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)

Logarithmic Map of the Universe

Normally when we look at a graph that has an X axis and a Y axis, we see it go up in even increments like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

This isn't helpful for some things, for example in measuring how loud a sound is. For stuff like that we must go up exponentially like 1 10 100 1000 10000 100000. This is called a logarithmic graph. We also have logarithmic units, such as the "decibel" that's used for measuring sound.

If we were to draw an accurate-to-scale map of the known universe, it would just be way too big... there's no way we could have Earth the size of a dime and also be able to see the next galaxy closest to ours.

So the solution is to draw a logarithmic map of the universe. As you move from Earth on the far left, toward the far-away galaxies on the right, the distance increases exponentially.

And here's what it looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	universe_logarithmic_map.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	180881

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    So, the antilogarithm should allow us to accurately calculate the timing of the Big Bang?
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    So, the antilogarithm should allow us to accurately calculate the timing of the Big Bang?
    The a point. You can only go back to the point of "recombination" which was something like 200-350 thousand years after the big bang was to happen.

Thread Information