Theatre has been shut down since March of last year. I got sick of waiting for an 'Open MIC Night' to start back up, and so I've decided to host my own.

I inquired into a few buildings in my town, and I found a community centre that would give me a hall for $14 an hour. So I booked it from 7pm - 11pm for $55. That's pretty cheap.

With current Covid restrictions, I can only have 30 people (they said they'd put out exactly 30 seats for me). Of course though, if there isn't any kind of supervisor present, I'll just let everyone in and they can stand at the back. Plus I will bring a few spare chairs in my car.

Since I'm getting the hall for so cheap, I decided I'd spend some more money on complimentary snacks and drinks, so I'm getting multipacks of cans of Cola, orange, 7up (with big paper cups and a bucket of ice). Also multipacks of potato chips (we call them 'crisps' over here). Might even order a few pizzas. I'll make sure to put a few vegan snacks out on the table, and I might swing by the 'halaal' shop to get some finger-food meat snacks. The venue isn't licensed for alcohol but if someone sneakily brings in a flask or whatever I won't notice.

As people come in through the door, there'll be a small table to the side with slips of paper and pens, so if someone wants to perform then they can write their name and talent, and hand it to me. I'll be walking around holding a clipboard with the schedule for the night, trying to slot people in for 5 - 10 minute slots. I'll have a 15-minute break after about 75 minutes.

There's such a thing as being over-dressed for the occasion, as well as being under-dressed for the occasion. As the host, I think I should appear to have made a little bit of an effort. I have a full three-piece suit but I don't think that would be ideal. I think I'll wear dress shoes, denim jeans, a shirt without a tie (with the top button open), and the inner waist coat of my 3-piece suit -- I think that will be the happy medium between under and over-dressed.

But anyway... to those of you who have hosted a public event before (or who own your own gym, or any kind of business where people come in and stay for a while), would you have any tips for me? Once everyone's in their seats I'll get them to make sure their phone is on silent (this is important at a performance event!).

Even if you would just share your own experiences, so I have an idea of what to have an eye for. I've been to dozens of Open MIC Nights over the past few years so I know what to expect -- but of course being an attendee to an event isn't the same as hosting it. Since I'm not charging anyone or handling any money, it simplifies things quite a bit. And even if the night is a total disaster, I don't have to worry about refunds.