Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By wellshii
  • 2 Post By XnavyHMCS
  • 1 Post By neriwoods

Thread: Books that keep you interested

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)

Lightbulb Books that keep you interested

I've been reading a lot in the past few weeks, finishing a book and then getting another one from the public library.

I was started to worry that I'd read all the good one's and couldn't find one that interested me... I typically go for autobiographies (or an official biography).

If you asked me what books kept me interested the most, well a handful stand out:
    Nelson Mandela - Long Walk to Freedom
    John Edwards - Walking Free
    Erich M. Remarque - All Quiet on the Western From ([I]Original German: Im Westen Nichts Neues[/I)
    Paddy Doherty - Hard Knocks and Soft Spots
    Mike Tyson - Undisputed Truth
    Mary Angelou - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
    Lemn Sissay - My Name is Why

Anyway I was watching Netflix lastnight, the movie "12 Years a Slave", and then at the end I saw that the movie was adapted from a biography written in the 1800's, "12 Years a Slave" by Solomon Northuop -- it's not in my local library right now so I ordered it off eBay... I'm anticipating one of the best books I'll ever read.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

wellshii is offline Member
    I heard the Bible has some neat stories
    Cylon357 and XnavyHMCS like this.

Iranon is offline Associate Member
    The Camp of the Saints: By Jean Raspail

Great book and very relevant to our times.

XnavyHMCS is offline Senior Member
    Anything by Max Hastings and John Keegan, two history / warfare writers.
    wango and SampsonandDelilah like this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Had read a book about Pat Tillman before, but just bought another by a solid author by the name of Jon Krakauer. The book is called “Where Men Win Glory”. Just started it and it’s kicking ass. Any book that I’ve read about our involvement in the Middle East & Afghanistan just screams about how stupid and wasteful our involvement was over there. Ironically, he’s discussing Russia’s attempt at fighting them in the 80’s, losing to the guerrilla warfare and then just started depending upon terrorizing civilians. Seems a bit similar to Ukraine.

neriwoods is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Had read a book about Pat Tillman before, but just bought another by a solid author by the name of Jon Krakauer. The book is called “Where Men Win Glory”. Just started it and it’s kicking ass. Any book that I’ve read about our involvement in the Middle East & Afghanistan just screams about how stupid and wasteful our involvement was over there. Ironically, he’s discussing Russia’s attempt at fighting them in the 80’s, losing to the guerrilla warfare and then just started depending upon terrorizing civilians. Seems a bit similar to Ukraine.
    You caught my interest! I need to read it!

The Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None came to my mind first.

As for me, I'm now reading The Barefoot Investor by Scott Pape. Came across with it at https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/finance. I'm trying to manage my finances, so my mind is all about it at the moment.
    Last edited by neriwoods; 06-22-2022 at 09:26 AM.
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by neriwoods View Post
    You caught my interest! I need to read it!

The Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None came to my mind first.
    You’ll dig the book. Regrettably the way he died & how the government lied to his family was down-right disgusting. The book uncovered a couple of other friendly fire disasters in Afghanistan & Iraq as well; stupid-ugly.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    Recently I'm really liking books written by doctors and nurses about their crazy experiences. I read one last month by a brain surgeon. Currently reading a book which is a compilation of contributions by ER nurses.

s1nc1ty is offline Member
    This is in another alley of those books you listed but i liked game of thrones books, i read like 10+ of them. Very fucking well written they are, super interesting and exiting read every last one of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Recently I'm really liking books written by doctors and nurses about their crazy experiences. I read one last month by a brain surgeon. Currently reading a book which is a compilation of contributions by ER nurses.
    Coincidentally I just received a newly released book called “The Facemaker”. True story about a plastic surgeon who dedicated himself to rebuilding faces of disfigured soldiers in WWI. He opened an entire hospital dedicated to facial plastic surgery in Britain. I haven’t started it yet, but cheated and looked at the pics in the middle. My Gawd, the disfigurement & then the repairs done over 100 years ago are mind blowing.

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Fall of civilisations by john g glubb
    The creature from Jekyll_Island by edward g griffin

“American Revolutions A Continental History, 1750 - 1804” by Alan Taylor

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedolaga View Post
    The Fall of Civilizations, did you like it? I was recently offered to read this book. I'm thinking of picking it up right after I finish mine.
    A short book of truths brilliant read

Thread Information