Thread: Motorcycles.

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member

Motorcycles.

Ok, thinking of buying a bike. I have plans with a friend for about 2 years from now. When I graduate college to cruise South America cross country on bikes. Buneos Aires, Iponema Rio, and various other places through out Brasil and SA we want to trek through. Lots of people do this and there is lots of info out there for people who do this sort of thing.

Anyways my question is for you bikers out there. I am thinking of buying either an Indian or a harley softail. I do love the Harley V-rod(I know not traditional but hey) but i hear the comfort level for big treks is low and they are shitty on gas and have small tanks, not really what i need.

So what kind of Bikes do you guys ride/have/like/want etc etc.

I hae read some webpages and stuff but still cant find any great feedback that doesnt sound like a marketing campaign. I would rather read what real people have to say.

Thanks Bros.

Gmill13

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Get jesse james to build you one.

http://www.westcoastchoppers.com/

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    I wish. I got money but not that much.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Whatever you get, make sure you can get parts and service for it where you'll be travelling. Might consider buying (or even renting) a bike in Brazil . . .

I had a Kawasaki Vulcan for a while, got rid of it when the roads got too crowded (they're building like crazy in the north Dallas suburbs). Had a few close calls--crazy people aiming for my bike . . . Probably will get another one if I ever move out to the sticks . . .
    But yah, those cruiser type bikes (like the one I had) look great, sound great, but they aren't too comfy on long road trips. You can get by if you put a duffle bag behind you and use it as a backrest. Aside from that, you really want a bike where you're sitting upright (not slouched) and your forearm is paralell to the ground when holding the handlebar. And it helps to have highway pegs, or someplace to stretch your legs out.

My next bike will probably be something like a Honda Pacific Coast 800, if I can find one (ain't making 'em anymore). On road trips, I came to appreciate the value of lockable trunk compartments, and the PC800 has a dandy. Didn't have squat on the Kawasaki.

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    what kind of bike did che guevara ride in the motorcycle diaries? go that route.

Thread Information