ndmand4u is offline New Member

Injection question

I have a quick question about injections. I know that you are supposed to Aspirate the syringe after injection to check to make sure that you did not hit a blood vessel. Well, I just did an injection and forgot to check. What happens if you do it a blood vessel? Should I be worried? This was my fifth shot and the first four where just fine, I did not hit a blood vessel.

SMAN12b is offline Educate B4 U Medicate
    If you injected INTO a blood vessel, you would know it immediately most likely by coughing
    If you nick a blood vessel on the way in or out, you will just get a stream of blood after you pull the needle out.

Sounds like you are fine.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    you should check but most of the time you will know if you hit something

Quote Originally Posted by SMAN12B
    If you injected INTO a blood vessel, you would know it immediately most likely by coughing
    If you nick a blood vessel on the way in or out, you will just get a stream of blood after you pull the needle out.

Sounds like you are fine.
    That is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the info.

Cat316 is offline Associate Member
    Coughing is always the best way to tell but always check so u dont hit a vessel

hippie1171 is offline Junior Member
    Let me explain to you what is supposed to happen. If you inject straight into your blood stream, the substance travels through your blood network until the deoxygenated blood re-enters the heart via the right atrium. Once it reaches there, it is then pumped into the right ventricle, followed by the right and left lung. Once it is pumped into your lungs your body senses a foreign compound and automatically triggers a response. Your body has no choice but to cough like crazy until the substance is gone. You will cough your eyes out for around 5-10 minutes (estimated) until the substance is out of your body. Thus, it is a wasted injection. If this does not occur, you have nothing to fear, you did not inject into your blood stream. Let us know how you reacted.

The good news is that I did not cough at all. So, it looks like I am in the clear. Thanks for the info. From now on I will just make sure not to forget to aspirate

Thread Information