Merc.. is offline Steroidpedia
    Blog Entries

Nolva toxic on the liver but to what degree??

I have been researching this for awhile but cant find any studies showing to what extent nolva's toxicity is on the liver... Does anyone have any feedback on how toxic it is on the liver and other organs?? Here is one study about it but I cant find any legit studies that show how bad it effects these organs. None show any elevated liver values or anything like that but alot of studies do concur it is toxic... Check this one out!! Feedback???????

Advanced Pharmaceutical Sciences Inc., PMB 146, 6400 Baltimore National Pike, Baltimore, MD 21228, USA. [email protected]

In vitro assays involving primary cells are used routinely to evaluate organ-specific toxic effects, for instance, the use of primary hepatocytes to evaluate hepatotoxicity. A major drawback of an in vitro system is the lack of multiple organ interactions as observed in a whole organism. A novel cell culture system, the integrated discrete multiorgan cell culture system (IdMOC), is described here. The IdMOC is based on the "wells within a well" concept, consisting of a cell culture plate with larger, containing wells, within each of which are multiple smaller wells. Cells from multiple organs can be cultured initially in the small wells (one organ per well, each in its specialized medium). On the day of toxicity testing, a volume of drug-containing medium is added to the containing well to flood all inner wells, thereby interconnecting all the small wells. After testing, the overlying medium is removed and each cell type is evaluated for toxicity using appropriate endpoints. We report here the application of IdMOC in the evaluation of the cytotoxicity of tamoxifen, an anticancer agent with known human toxicity, on primary cells from multiple human organs: liver (hepatocytes), kidney (kidney cortical cells), lung (small airway epithelial cells), central nervous system (astrocytes), blood vessels (aortic endothelial cells) as well as the MCF-7 human breast adenocarcinoma cells. IdMOC produced results that can be used for the quantitative evaluation of its anticancer effects (i.e., cytotoxicity towards MCF-7 cells) versus its toxicity toward normal organs (i.e., liver, kidney, lung, CNS, blood vessels).

PMID: 15522266 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Last edited by Merc..; 08-06-2006 at 02:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Bump????

Blog Entries
    Feedback Anyone?????????

donpinn is offline Associate Member
    Love to help but I have no idea. must not be that much or they would have stated it to support thier study?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I searched around and kind find any real studies. Its nothing i would be personally concerned with.

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Since Cytotoxicity is the quality of being toxic to cells, maybe it means toxic to estrogen "cells" ....??? Eh, I dunno, maybe not. Yea, estrogen isnt a "cell" is it?

google "cytotoxicity of tamoxifen " and a bunch of studies come up....??

Hey, I think I might have been almost right!!!

"The results suggest that tamoxifen exerts cytotoxic effect on estrogen receptor-negative C6 cells through the inhibition of the transcription of bFGF"

Tamoxifen -induced cell death and expression of neurotrophic factors in cultured C6 glioma cells
    Yong-Jung Kim, Chang-Joong Lee, Uhn Lee and Young-Mi Yoo

Department of Biological Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Inha University, South Korea [Y.-J.K., C.-J.L.]. Department of Neurosurgery,Gachon Medical College, Gil Medical Center, Incheon, South Korea [U.L., Y.-M.Y.]. Neuroscience Institute, Department of Neurosurgery, Gachon Medical School, Gil Medical Center, 1198 Guwol-dong, Namdong-Gu, Incheon, 405-760, Korea [Y.-M.Y.].
    Correspondence to: Young-Mi Yoo, Email: [email protected], Phone: +82-32-460-3090, Fax: +82-32-460-3899.

The effects of ( Z)-2[ p -(1,2-diphenyl-1-butenyl)phenoxy]-N ,N -dimethylamine citrate (tamoxifen) on cell survival and the expression of neurotrophic factors (NTF) were investigated in rat C6 glioma cells (C6).
    C6 cells do not express the estrogen receptor.
    Cytotoxic effect was detected from 24 h after the treatment with 10 μM tamoxifen and increased with time in a dose-dependent manner.
    C6 cells treated with tamoxifen also displayed various morphological types such as elliptical, round and aggregated form.
    As the treatment time increased, the proliferation of C6 cells was reduced remarkably and most of them became the round or aggregated form.

To examine the relationship of the expression of NTF and the cytotoxicity of tamoxifen, the mRNA level of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), glial-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), and basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) was measured after 24 h treatment with tamoxifen by RT-PCR.
    The expression of mRNA of BDNF or GDNF in C6 cells treated with various concentrations of tamoxifen was comparable to controls.
    The expression of bFGF mRNA was significantly reduced in C6 cells treated with 10 or 15 μM tamoxifen.
    The results suggest that tamoxifen exerts cytotoxic effect on estrogen receptor-negative C6 cells through the inhibition of the transcription of bFGF.

Keywords: BDNF - bFGF - C6 glioma - GDNF - tamoxifen

Its probably a trivial amount of toxicity judging by what I read and not the type of toxicity you would assume such as with 17aa orals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    Its probably a trivial amount of toxicity judging by what I read and not the type of toxicity you would assume such as with 17aa orals.

Agreed!!!!!!!

one8nine is offline Banned
    i read that nolva w3as good for your liver becasue even though it dries out the rest of your body it helps lubricate your liver

Quote Originally Posted by one8nine
    i read that nolva w3as good for your liver becasue even though it dries out the rest of your body it helps lubricate your liver

one8nine is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    okay maybe that was very bad wording.. i think i remember it from big cat's profile on bodybuilding . com

it... helps keep moisture in your liver which hels it function more

Ok gotcha.

boxingbean is offline Senior Member
    so as a person with a bruise from a fight on his liver.....y was i told a PCT is out of the questions since it is HARSH on the liver..>?????

Thread Information