Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls

Blood Test Advice

Dudes

These are the results from a blood test a friend of mine has just had. He has lethargy, low sex drive and all the signs of being Hypo gonadal.

I just want some opinions on the FSF and LH being so high and what impact this can have. The guy has cycles in the past and done all the proper PCT, he is also 40 years old. The numbers in bold are his score, the other numbers are the range. He is having Estradiol done at the moment

FSH 1.6-8.0 mIU/ml 8.1

LH 1.5-9.3 mIU/ml 11.9

PROLACTIN 2.0-18.0 ng/mL 4.8
    TESTOSTERONE TOTAL 241-827 ng/dL 716

SHBG 8-46 nmol/L 35
    IGF-I 106-255 183

Adam F is offline Associate Member
    Here is the problem with the question you are asking:

A standard reference range is not available for this test. Because reference values are ***endent on many factors, including patient age, gender, sample population, and test method, numeric test results have different meanings in different labs. Also Steroid Cycles and Estrogen Suppresant Therapy can also attribute to High or Low Reading.

In women and men, FSH and LH are ordered as part of the workup of infertility and pituitary or gonadal disorders. FSH levels are used to help determine the reason a man has a low sperm count

In men, high FSH levels are due to primary testicular failure. This can be due to developmental defects in testicular growth or to testicular injury, as indicated below.

Developmental defects:
    Gonadal agenesis
    Chromosomal abnormality, such as Klinefelters syndrome
    Testicular failure:

Viral infection (mumps)
    Trauma
    Radiation
    Chemotherapy
    Autoimmune disease
    Germ cell tumor

Ok let's move on to LH. FSH is in normal range. being .1 over normal range is by no means high. Just FYI I am not a doctor, but working on my RN Cetification.

In men, LH stimulates testosterone production from the interstitial cells of the testes (Leydig cells). FSH stimulates testicular growth and enhances the production of an androgen-binding protein by the Sertoli cells, which are a component of the testicular tubule necessary for sustaining the maturing sperm cell. This androgen-binding protein causes high local concentrations of testosterone near the sperm, an essential factor in the development of normal spermatogenesis. Sertoli cells, under the influence of androgens, also secrete inhibin, a polypeptide, which may help to locally regulate spermatogenesis. Hence, maturation of spermatozoa requires both FSH and LH.
    Last edited by Adam F; 06-07-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Adam F is offline Associate Member
    Almost sounds like your friend just got off PCT and had bloodwork done. If not than their is something else going on.

Thread Information