BiggD is offline Junior Member

High liver values (ALT, AST)

Not sure if this is the best place for this post but...

I'm having a difficult time getting my liver tests for ALT and AST back within normail range. At one point they were both really high but after running a liver detox for 60 days they are now just slightly elevated but have remained slightly elevated for a while now. For my detox I ran milk thistle, vitamin E, NAC and beta carotene.

Any suggestions or tricks on how I might be able to bring my levels into normal range even if it is just temporary.

goose is offline Banned
    supplement an amino acid called N Acetyl L Cysteine at 2 grams per day full time,its amazing even doctors will recommend this...It is used routinely in hospitals to treat liver poisoning because it is so good at detoxifying the liver.

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    Ya what he said yah

Thanks for the advice but I have already tried that. N Acetyl L Cysteine was one of the items I listed my liver detoxic stack - NAC. As I said, it did work very well but doesn't seem to be helping anymore. I need some normal test results but my ALT and AST values are hovering just above normal range.

I've heard that not training the day before or on the day that the blood is drawn may help, and eating a lot of fruits and veggies the day of may also help. Agree or disagree?

Could anything else be done to lower the these values just long enough to pass a blood test?

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    have u also tried liv-52 or liv X

No I have not tried either of those two products, but I believe the ingredients in those are similar to what I had already been running. I'll have a closer look, thx.

Is it possible to run to run a detox for too long? If so, how long is too long?

ajweb is offline Junior Member
    MIne were slightly elevated also. Doc friend of mine told me as long as I am lifting hard they would run high. He told me that I would need to not work out for 5-7 days in order to get normal reading. If you google "elevated liver enzymes weightlifting" u can find some articles

Quote Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
    Thanks for the advice but I have already tried that. N Acetyl L Cysteine was one of the items I listed my liver detoxic stack - NAC. As I said, it did work very well but doesn't seem to be helping anymore. I need some normal test results but my ALT and AST values are hovering just above normal range.

I've heard that not training the day before or on the day that the blood is drawn may help, and eating a lot of fruits and veggies the day of may also help. Agree or disagree?

Could anything else be done to lower the these values just long enough to pass a blood test?

SilverTest is offline Senior Member
    what raised your liver values , what were you on?

I cannot pinpoint the elevated values to anything in particular. I was cycling a lot of gear and meds for some time prior.

I was pretty sure weightlifting affected liver values but didn't think for that long. After reading that article I think I'll take a week off then go for another blood test.

Great feedback, thanks for all the info everyone.

Hey u never said, how high were your levels?

ALT and AST got as high as 4-5x above normal

CHAP is offline Anabolic Member
    In order to get an accurte liver panel you should not lift for 5 days before the bloodwork.

This is due to the muscle tissue that is being broken down as well as other toxins being released are being flushed through your liver .

This will through off the tests.

On top of everything else if you drink and/or take excessive amounts of acetaminophen this will only add to the problems with the liver panel results

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    ALT and AST got as high as 4-5x above normal
    4-5 times above normal is very very high man maybe u want to get a hepatitis test and more detailed investigation, my values were just a few points above the range and i was so worried.

The thing is man ALT and AST measurements represent chemicals that your liver releases when repairing itself, so the higher values make doctors conclude that your liver has some damage and is repairing itself with more aggression.
    What many people dont know is that when you actually do the liver treatment or detox with milk thistle or whatever supplement, it could make your liver values higher while u are using it because its making your liver "over-repair" itslef, hence higher ALT/AST values, so people who go on lliver detox must wait a few weeks after completing that before they do liver value tests.

theplastickid is offline New Member
    Mine have just come back at *75 (ALT)

However I have been training very hard in the week leading up to my blood results as I was unaware that this could effect the readings and my doctor did not tell me about this. Infact I traing insanely hard the day before.

I think the studies that show this can be due to exercise are very good and make sence because this is incredibly common among bodybuilders and athletes.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Not sure if this is the best place for this post but...

I'm having a difficult time getting my liver tests for ALT and AST back within normail range. At one point they were both really high but after running a liver detox for 60 days they are now just slightly elevated but have remained slightly elevated for a while now. For my detox I ran milk thistle, vitamin E, NAC and beta carotene.

Any suggestions or tricks on how I might be able to bring my levels into normal range even if it is just temporary.
    You could try some ALA as well. Studies show it to be good for the liver.

in2shape is offline Member
    id continue to run milk thistle and NAC 4 a while longer a month or so then once youve finished that wait a week or 2 no training no NAC or milk thistle and get re tested then to be really diligent u could start training again and till run just milk thistle and get tested again say a week or 2 later this will give u a more accurate REAL time figure as u havent just stopped training and supps this is imo more close to how u will normally be

XNathan is offline Associate Member
    I had 13 times higher ALT than is normal and 5 times higher than normal AST from 14 days on Tbol... I was nauseous and had diarrhea. I recovered fast after 7 days my values were 4times higher ALT and just slightly higher AST. Ad after months everythink was back in normal.

And yes AST/ALT is elevated from weightlifting. For my ist from 0,4 (after training pause) to 0,8 after leg workout.

Thread Information