Thread: Bf% and abs?

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member

Bf% and abs?

Simple question... At what body fat % do your abs start to show??

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    That isn't that simple to answer as there is no definitive number.

Each of us store our body fat at different proportions at different locations. For example i can be 15-16% BF and still have all six peaks of my abdominals showing, and another person may need to be at 6%.

However, as a general figure, for the average male it would start to show at BF%'s less than 10 or so.

It also depends on the girth of your abdominals, etc.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    @ 13%

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    Simple question... At what body fat % do your abs start to show??
    I start showing abs at 15%. I have had statements like this come out of my ex gf's mouth: "its not fair, you're fat and you still have abs, what is that". Everyones body is different.

JasonT is offline Member
    I used to always neglect abs and would get as low as 8% and would have nothing to show for. Like Rose said, depends on the girth

GMAN(get"N"swole) is offline Junior Member
    im at 16%

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonT View Post
    I used to always neglect abs and would get as low as 8% and would have nothing to show for. Like Rose said, depends on the girth
    Second that. Girth and size of abs is a big factor. When I started doing a lot of weight ab exercises, they come out more at higher bf%.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    i am sub 10% right now and my abs still don't show to my liking(though that's probably because i like them to be full out with obliques and everything), but i'm lucky in that they have deep deep grooves, i just have loose skin from being morbidly obese when i was younger so they are harder to see

B1gDaddy is offline Associate Member
    I might be wrong but genetics may also play a big role when it comes to getting visible good looking abs. some people are born with them, while others cant get them if their lives depended on it, but ive always believed that males need to be under 12% bf to have any visible abs.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by B1gDaddy View Post
    I might be wrong but genetics may also play a big role when it comes to getting visible good looking abs. some people are born with them, while others cant get them if their lives depended on it, but ive always believed that males need to be under 12% bf to have any visible abs.
    it also has to do with fat cell count, for example, i was morbidly obese(to the point that i almost died from it) when i was going through puberty, because of this i have many times more fat cells then most people, which means it's harder for me to look shredded, the reason being that if i have 20,000,000 fat cells that are 10% full, then that is the equivalent of 2,000,000 full fat cells, whereas if someone has 1,000,000 fat cells that are 40% full, that is only 400,000 full fat cells

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    ^^^Good point, very few people seem to understand you have the same amount of fat cells at 5% BF as you do at 15% BF, the cells have just been reduced in size is all. Short of liposuction nothing you can do about it.

art
    art is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    it also has to do with fat cell count, for example, i was morbidly obese(to the point that i almost died from it) when i was going through puberty, because of this i have many times more fat cells then most people, which means it's harder for me to look shredded, the reason being that if i have 20,000,000 fat cells that are 10% full, then that is the equivalent of 2,000,000 full fat cells, whereas if someone has 1,000,000 fat cells that are 40% full, that is only 400,000 full fat cells
    Is there some scientific prove on this point? I mean that we have equal fat cell count throughout our life after childhood and puberty?

Bad for me if it's so

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Here's an interesting thought.....

Lets say you have 2,000,000 fat cells evenly distributed over your body..... Your eating quite a bit and you start putting on weight. If you decide to have liposuction done around your belly and love handles - those fat cells are now gone..... never to return. Will it be harder for you to carry weight around your belly now that more fat cells were sucked out from there?

In other words..... the fat cells wouldn't be able to relocate from one area to another. I.E. the inner thighs to the stomach.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Careful with lypo, you can be left with a "cottage cheese" look after they scrape around in there. Sometimes ever with laser lypo you get textured skin that wont go away.

Typically my abs start showing around 12-13% and really get defined around 9%

arshigtx is offline Junior Member
    I'd say anywhere between 15-18 is when they start becoming barely noticable.

I'm at 18 right now and can still see faint ab lines.

I'd say it all depends on how muscular your abs actually are. I've seen guys at 8% with barely visible abs just because they werent muscularly developed enough.

the big 1 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    So we can produce new fat cells ? but we cant burn them away once they are there, only shrink them down again ?

garythompson is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the big 1 View Post
    So we can produce new fat cells ? but we cant burn them away once they are there, only shrink them down again ?
    the number of cells doesn't change!

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Quote Originally Posted by the big 1 View Post
    No lol.

After one's body is developed (between 21 to 25, it is genetics) you cannot produce new fat cells, you just live with the ones you have.

Though, you can reduce their size and look leaner but they will always be there to swell back, in case.

Same thing apply with muscle cells, though with HGH and HGH only, you can add new ones, basically you can create hyperplasia.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So we need to come up with a way to reduce fat cells with less/no risk like with Lipo.... Hmmm

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    If i'm not mistaken...... Pgf2a and PGCL can release fat cells into the bloodstream...... If you take a thermogenic and do cardio post injection..... those fat cells burn off.

I may be off on some information there but I thought I remembered reading something like that.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Thread Information