Thread: Growth Plates

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired

Growth Plates

Could somebody point me in the direction of a study that shows aas 100% affects growth plates in adolescents/ young adults? being looking cant find one

Thanks MaNiCC

Charlie6 is offline Senior Member
    i'm gonna bump this one to the top

Bit dissapointing considering that everybody here says something about growth plates but nobody can point me in the direction of a reliable study that proves this?

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer

http://blog.cleveland.com/lifestyles...g_with_st.html

This is just an article, but the statement of growth plate closure was noted by a doctor
    abstrack@protonmail.com

I dont have time right now to do it, but I'm sure pub med has an study or two on the closure of epiphyseal plates with steroid use in teenagers.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Yes but many doctors have different opinions on steroids . some like the ones that go up infront of congress in america say they are a killer, some say they are safe. im looking for an actual medical study that proves this claim.

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack View Post
    I dont have time right now to do it, but I'm sure pub med has an study or two on the closure of epiphyseal plates with steroid use in teenagers.
    i will look into it

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Estrogen will close epiphyseal plates, not "steroids ".

Quote Originally Posted by MaNiCC View Post
    Yes but many doctors have different opinions on steroids. some like the ones that go up infront of congress in america say they are a killer, some say they are safe. im looking for an actual medical study that proves this claim.
    I'm not sure where you are going with this. Are you looking for some type of advocation to steroid use for teenagers?

You wont find it. No doctor will ever recommend to perfectly healthy teenager to use steroids safely. There is no need for it other than recreational use.

There is a link on the first page I posted here where the author gives you an option to contact him for further information. Send the author an email. he might be able to help.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack View Post
    I'm not sure where you are going with this. Are you looking for some type of advocation to steroid use for teenagers?

You wont find it. No doctor will ever recommend to perfectly healthy teenager to use steroids safely. There is no need for it other than recreational use.

There is a link on the first page I posted here where the author gives you an option to contact him for further information. Send the author an email. he might be able to help.
    No im not looking for advocation for anybody to use steroids . A common response to young people on the forums is about growth plates closing. I watched bigger stronger faster and it said this has never been proven so im just looking for a study so i can educate myself. and seen as people mention growth plates i thought they might have a study or evidence to show this.

Just for the record i would never recommend anybody to take anything im not a doctor/physcian i just purely want to learn

sorry if this gave the wrong impression

Yes but many doctors have different opinions on steroids. some like the ones that go up infront of congress in america say they are a killer, some say they are safe. im looking for an actual medical study that proves this claim.
    Here's two.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/98/12/6871

"In some mammals, including humans, the growth plate is resorbed at the time of sexual maturation. This process, epiphyseal fusion, terminates longitudinal bone growth. Estrogen is pivotal for epiphyseal fusion in both young men and women (10). This key role for estrogen was confirmed only recently with the recognition of two genetic disorders, estrogen deficiency due to mutations in the aromatase gene (11) and estrogen resistance due to mutations in the estrogen receptor- gene (12). In both conditions, the growth plate fails to fuse and growth persists into adulthood. Conversely, premature estrogen exposure, e.g., precocious puberty, leads to premature epiphyseal fusion (13)."

This one proves the ER is present in epiphyseal cartilage.

J Endocrinol. 2002 Nov;175(2):277-88.

Evidence for genomic and nongenomic actions of estrogen in growth plate regulation in female and male rats at the onset of sexual maturation.
    van der Eerden BC, Emons J, Ahmed S, van Essen HW, Lowik CW, Wit JM, Karperien M.

Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands.

Abstract
    Recently, both estrogen receptor (ER) alpha and beta were detected in growth plate chondrocytes of rats before sexual maturation, implying a role for estrogen at this stage. In this study, therefore, we investigated the effects of ovariectomy (OVX) or estrogen supplementation on parameters of longitudinal growth in 26-day-old rats, which were sexually immature at the start of the experiment. OVX caused an increase in body weight gain, tibial length and growth plate width due to an increased proliferating zone. This increase correlated with an increase in cell number, with a decrease in cell diameter and with increased proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) immunostaining compared with sham. Interestingly, the increase in proliferation was not caused by an increase in insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) mRNA expression in the growth plate as assessed by real-time PCR. In contrast to OVX, 17beta-estradiol (E(2)) supplementation (0.5 mg/21 days) of 26-day-old female rats caused a strong decrease in body weight gain, tibial length and growth plate width. The latter was explained by a reduction of the proliferating zone width, which correlated with a reduced number of PCNA-positive cells (not significant) and by a reduction of the hypertrophic zone width. In male rats supplemented with E(2), similar effects were observed compared with the females. ERalpha and beta immunostaining was found predominantly in late proliferating and early hypertrophic chondrocytes. OVX did not affect ER expression but E(2) supplementation strongly decreased immunostaining for both ERalpha and beta in both sexes. Besides E(2), desoxyestrone (DE), an activator of nongenomic estrogen-like signaling (ANGEL) and 2-methoxyestradiol (2-MeO-E(2)), a tissue-selective naturally occurring metabolite of E(2), were administered to female and male rats of the same age. Compared with E(2), these compounds had less pronounced, though significant, effects on some parameters of longitudinal growth in both sexes, especially on growth plate characteristics. In conclusion, E(2) may exert effects on longitudinal growth before and at the onset of sexual maturation, despite very low endogenous serum levels at these stages. There may be a role for nongenomic signaling in body weight gain, tibial length and growth plate width but genomic signaling prevails.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

Thankyou very much swifto

Thankyou very much swifto
    Your welcome.

If you want more information, ERalpha seems to be more important out of the two ERs (ERalpha, ERbeta) in males. Also the AR.

Thread Information