Thread: for an old guy

busboy is offline New Member

for an old guy

Recently I was given prednisone by my doctor to treat an old but recurring injury to my neck. I was a little leary about taking it just because it is a steroid . So before I started the regiment that was prescribed, I read up on prednisone. I learned alot, not just about prednisone but steroids and some of it's benefits. It's been about 4 weeks since I finished the script and now my body is back feeling just as bad as it was before. So here's my question.... If you're not interested in bulking up, but just trying to get rid of the symptoms of arthritis and herniated disc's and maybe trying to pick up a little energy on the way. Is there something that's just as good as steroids but without the drawbacks?

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    prednisone is a different type of steroid than the ones discussed on this board.

tell us more about yourself and we'll help:

age?
    height?
    weight?
    body fat?
    years training?

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    If you're 43 years old,

you should go get some blood work drawn and see if you qualify for TRT/HRT.

AlphaGenetics is offline Senior Member
    Theres no substitute for aas.

I'm aware of Pred being totally different. It was what got me to check into this site.
    Im 43,170pds, not sure of the body fat % overall not anything other than some jiggle in the middle. And have been have been working out off and on for 20 years. Not to get bulked, but just to stay fit. Thanks for your input, it's always helpful!

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    only bennifits to pred if you're working out is its anti inflamatory abilities. Helped a lot when i had a back injury so I'd say it would make joint pain much more tolerable. I bloated a lot and some sides when i took it. Lots of water weight gain. Mood swings etc. Definitley not what someone looking for performance enhancement needs.

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Herniated discs and arthritis. This is a tricky one to give advice on, as we don't know your medical history and are not your doctor.

Perhaps you can read up on Deca (Nandrolone Decanoate): Anabolic Review Steroid Profile: Deca-Durabolin (Nandrolone Decanoate)

Here's a part of the above profile
    "... in one study of postmenapusal women, Deca impoved collagen synthesis(1), and in another study deca increased bone mineral content. (2)Both of these studies used VERY low doses, which were far too low to promote muscle growth. In my estimation, based on these 2 studies, an athlete attempting to use Deca only for these two effects (increasing bone mineral content and collagen synthesis) should be using 100mgs of deca every week."

So perhaps low dose Deca, and some Test to balance it out.

I'm also curious as to what affect, if any, elevated blood pressure may introduce for herniated discs. Just some things to consider.

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    definately don't do deca without test though...... at 43, im sure you enjoy your erections still

how is your fatty acid/essential fat intake?

i find if i dont take enough (flaxseed oil caps, cod liver oil caps), my knuckles and ankle hurt (which i broke yrs ago)

Hey guys, Thanks for the info. Any information is always appreciated. Knowledge is power. Anyways, my fat intake should be good. On top of the food, I do take cod liver oil and fish oil for joint pain. And yes, I still enjoy my stiffies. I will check out the link.

Thread Information