Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    hsvcraig is offline Associate Member

True or false bout alcohol

Is it true your liver cant process anything else until there's no more alcohol in your system, being that your body can't absorb any protein or carbs until all the alcohols gone?

vtje6wu9 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvcraig View Post
    Is it true your liver cant process anything else until there's no more alcohol in your system, being that your body can't absorb any protein or carbs until all the alcohols gone?
    I've never heard this statement before and it sounds somewhat outlandish; however, that isn't to say it's not true. I just don't think there is too much basis to it.

Your liver breaks alcohol down into acetaldehyde and then into acetate. Acetate will be the #1 energy source used by by your body as long as it is present, ie. you will not burn any glucose or fat for fuel as long as acetate is present.

As far as your liver not being able to process anything but alcohol while it's present - absolute BS.

xelnaga is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    Your liver breaks alcohol down into acetaldehyde and then into acetate. Acetate will be the #1 energy source used by by your body as long as it is present, ie. you will not burn any glucose or fat for fuel as long as acetate is present.

As far as your liver not being able to process anything but alcohol while it's present - absolute BS.
    I def. agree with Hartman's statement above. However, I did read a study awhile back in reference to the livers ability to break down estrogen when alcohol is present. The study concluded that alcohol takes priority over estrogen in the liver; which can lead to a build up of nonmetabolized estrogen.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by xelnaga View Post
    I def. agree with Hartman's statement above. However, I did read a study awhile back in reference to the livers ability to break down estrogen when alcohol is present. The study concluded that alcohol takes priority over estrogen in the liver; which can lead to a build up of nonmetabolized estrogen.
    Both good answers.

OP, alcohol does also dramatically decrease protein synthesis (muscle building).
    It keeps you from metabolizing other macronutrients while ethanol is in your system, which means they get stored as fat instead of being used for energy.
    And it blunts nutrient absorption, which is why alcoholics are frequently malnourished even if they are fat.
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 10-13-2011 at 08:29 PM.

dooie is offline Senior Member
    I like these answers!! Thanks for the info

Ok cheers for that Hartman great reply. So in terms of muscle growth Alcohol won't slow that down but will make you gain fat obviously.

SufferToReturnHarder is offline Associate Member
    Just dont drink and you wont have to worry about it.

Thanks alot guys

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    worth pointing out that alcohol also can indirectly hinder your progress, disrupted appetite, sleep and desire to perform etc

formerly is offline New Member
    I was told that your liver treats alcohol as a poison and makes it a priority to get rid of it fast.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by formerly View Post
    I was told that your liver treats alcohol as a poison and makes it a priority to get rid of it fast.
    It isn't your liver, it is your entire body that prioritizes the metabolism and elimination of ethanol and its metabolites. This was explained above.
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 10-13-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Thread Information