rocknRIGGAR is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Sodium salt issue

Need some advice on sodium !
    Dose it hold onto fat?
    My diet is totally clean and iv heard alot of conflating advice on sodium Whilst cutting!
    Would it be bad to have some soy chilli ect on my tuna to give it some taste and to help it go down a bit easier! Dose it have any neg effects whilst in fat burning mode??
    Thx in advance

stpete is offline Banned
    Sodium's bad all the way around imo. Can't tell you the last time i used table salt. There's enough sodium in the shit i eat already. And, sodium=water retention.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Look up "sodium-potassium pump" to properly understand what sodium does at the cellular level.

Too much sodium (in the presence of inadequate potassium) will cause you to hold a bit more water outside of muscle tissue, which will make you look fatter.

rocknRIGGAR is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries
    Can't thank all you guy enough for a+ info
    Smashed my weigh in today

ucf465 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Too much sodium (in the presence of inadequate potassium) will cause you to hold a bit more water outside of muscle tissue, which will make you look fatter.
    did not know this.

OP- whats your daily sodium intake look like?

NOSUPERMODEL is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Look up "sodium-potassium pump" to properly understand what sodium does at the cellular level.
    I searched this on yahoo and I could not find one article that I could understand. Do you have an article that you suggest that might put it in lamens terms where I could understand. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by NOSUPERMODEL View Post
    I searched this on yahoo and I could not find one article that I could understand. Do you have an article that you suggest that might put it in lamens terms where I could understand. Thanks in advance.
    Besides the one in my prehospital emergency care textbook, not really.
    But you don't really need to understand how the sodium/potassium pump works for everyday purposes.
    Just understand that water attracts sodium, and that sodium is the primary electrolyte outside of the cell (whereas potassium is the primary electrolyte inside each cell in your body). If you throw off the balance between the two (by ingesting a lot of sodium and neglecting potassium), the sodium will cause you to hold a bit of extra-cellular water.

stpete is offline Banned
    ^^^^ Break it down Bona!!

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    If your diet is clean, then a lil bit of soy sauce on ur tuna wont hurt. The problem is that western diets (aka usa) food is extremely high in sodium, which has its part in water retention in the ECM (space between cells, where Na sits and attracts water. water follows sodium, so too much sodium in body = more water in body = more bloat
    Sitting in a dry sauna will help lose some excess water, however be sure to drink plenty of water also. the best way to get rid of bloating is to drink and hydrate, and repeat. Also be sure to take a multivitamin, although its hard to mess up the Na/K ratio to where it has issues.. a multivit will help keep that from happening.

NOSUPERMODEL is offline Member
    So a banana a day would not be a bad idea?

stpete is offline Banned
    I suggest a banana a day. That's my primary source of potassium less the vitamins.

Thread Information