Johnno is offline Junior Member

Steroids and Diving?

Hi . I'm new to the forum and a first timer with anabolics. I have been reading up the fact that using test will create nitrogen retention in the muscles which is a positive thing when it comes to building. However I work as a commercial diver and nitrogen in diving is a negative as this relates directly to your susceptibility to the 'bends'.Does anyone know if nitrogen retention in the muscles has the same effect as nitrogen in the bloodstream in a diving enviroment?

thex95 is offline Senior Member
    whooo intense second post, welcome to the board bro. I hope a vet on here can help you out on this one.

Thanks man. I know its an unsual one. But I been diving all my life and nitrogen is considered the enemy in decompression. So it really hit me when 'nitrogen retention in the muscles' was mentioned regarding 'test'. So is that all anabolics or just certain ones??

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Talk to Bonaparte he is got a answer for everything.

How do I talk to Bonaparte?

gonzo6183 is offline Senior Member
    No need mate, its fine. I know for myself and many others (all commercial) that there is no issues. But to answer your question, NO nitrogen retention in muscle is not the same as in the bloodstream. Nitrogen in the muscle is not a gas

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm a life member of NAUI, havn't dove in years, but nitrogen in the blood is one thing, in the muscle another. here's my understanding: nitrogen in the blood is very susceptible to atmoshperic changes, the lower you go, the more you can disolve in liquid (blood) the higher you go, the less. But nitrogen in muscle tissue is much different. Muscle doesn't absorb nitrogen except very very slowly, either way. And when it does absorb nitrogen, it is bound to a solid (tissue) instead of liquid (blood) which means it will have a much higher boiling point.

Thanks guys , that clears it up then. I was gettin a bit para for a second!! lol

Just be verious cautious of infection if you are in Sat, obvioulsy

Fortunatley Sat is not part of my job requirements, occasionally some surface decomp. and basic water stops. However some weeks I can see between 15-25 dives a week , relatively shallow of course.

when you dive a single time, how many bottles do you consume?

One 15litre, although sometimes use surface supply.If waterstops required will have a secondary bottle at first stop. 10litre bail out for surface supply.
    Last edited by Johnno; 06-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.

The Bear 79 is offline Banned
    I did a lot of diving in the military & never had any problems when I was on cycle, there was literally no difference.

Its good to hear. Gonzo and T/Roman set my mind at ease. For a short time there I had visions of spending my days off in the emergency deco pot instead of the gym. lol! Would've been a hard choice if I had to choose between work or weights...

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The only negative effect I can see is that getting bigger will increase the amount of oxygen you'll need (if everything else remains constant).
    But if you can always just haul a bigger tank or use surface air, then it isn't a big deal.

I was very conscious of this downside during firefighter training. While the girls and smaller guys could make a tank last an hour, I was doing twice as much work, but running out of air much faster.

For commercial work you dont generally use cyklinders, thats more back yard underwater maintenance. We wear fully encapsulated hard hats with an endless air supply from the surface, doing dives upto 9 hours. Yep its a bitch to get your meals right when youre working like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    The only negative effect I can see is that getting bigger will increase the amount of oxygen you'll need (if everything else remains constant).
    But if you can always just haul a bigger tank or use surface air, then it isn't a big deal.

I was very conscious of this downside during firefighter training. While the girls and smaller guys could make a tank last an hour, I was doing twice as much work, but running out of air much faster.
    and absorbing much more nitrogen than them as well. so if reaching for that second tank to finish the job, or a third tank, means must be more careful on ascent, or....

The majority of the dive work I do you could possibly call 'under the radar salvage and scrap recovery', not exactly regulated by a governing body. Thus standard health and safety regs of the HSE do not apply, so Kirby's and such do not come into it.Alot of the work tends to be done at night, which suits me as it leaves afternoons open for training time.

Thread Information