hillbill78 is offline Associate Member

did arnie and the boys use GH ???

question wondering if anyone knows if arnold and that generation of BB used GH back then ?

Blog Entries
    i dont believe so, i dont think GH was widly used until like the 90's, but i dont know...

MR10X is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Synthetic GH was not available,the only thing available was GH from cadavers and and this wasnt a safe option because of the possibility of the GH being tainted.

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Originally hgh can from dead cadavers. I think that started in the ealier 80's.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    yep,something like that.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    blue tops were not available.. AIDS patients really stimulated the development of GH..

SMcB is offline Associate Member
    I doubt GH was available back then. You can also tell by the pro bodybuilders' physiques back then that GH wasn't used. I don't think any of them had the infamous GH gut. I don't even think steroids such as deca or tren existed back then either. I'm assuming all arnie & co. had back then (up to the late '70's) was test and d-bol. Those guys were proof that you don't need anything fancy, dangerous, or expensive (GH, slin, tren, etc.) to look good.

Atomini is offline Banned
    HGH was known back then to the medical community, but that was about it. Bodybuilders, for the most part, had no idea about its properties or that it would even benefit them. Aside from that, HGH was not isolated, nor could they synthetically create it in a lab (not until the late 1980s), and it wasn't until the late 1970s that pharmaceutical companies were harvesting it from the pituitary gland of dead bodies.

A small handful of bodybuilders did try to eat monkey brains (see Steve Michalik) to attempt to get the growth hormone from the hypothalamus. But we all know how largely ineffective that would be.

So, the answer is no, Arnie nor his buddies took HGH or likely even knew what it was. Today HGH is a household name to your average bodybuilder.

ISU152 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMcB View Post
    I doubt GH was available back then. You can also tell by the pro bodybuilders' physiques back then that GH wasn't used. I don't think any of them had the infamous GH gut. I don't even think steroids such as deca or tren existed back then either. I'm assuming all arnie & co. had back then (up to the late '70's) was test and d-bol. Those guys were proof that you don't need anything fancy, dangerous, or expensive (GH, slin, tren, etc.) to look good.
    Insulin also played a huge role in the difference of bodybuilder today compared to that era

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Internet searches are pretty amazing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_..._for_treatment

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    After watching "Pumping Iron" I was wondering what happened to the athletes from the 70s till now? Every bodybuilding magazine has HUGE guys with thousands of veins blowing through their skin. The physique of Arnolds day, such as Serge, Franco, and Louie were truely works of art. I know there was illicit use of compounds, but so much has changed and the "new" physiques, while much larger, are not as magnificant. Thats my opinion anyways. I would just like to know what the compounds used today are versus back then and why did the shift change from greatness to freakish.

SMcB is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warmouth View Post
    After watching "Pumping Iron" I was wondering what happened to the athletes from the 70s till now? Every bodybuilding magazine has HUGE guys with thousands of veins blowing through their skin. The physique of Arnolds day, such as Serge, Franco, and Louie were truely works of art. I know there was illicit use of compounds, but so much has changed and the "new" physiques, while much larger, are not as magnificant. Thats my opinion anyways. I would just like to know what the compounds used today are versus back then and why did the shift change from greatness to freakish.

arnie's days = moderate dosages of test and/or dbol

today's bodybuilders = mega doses of different steroids (test+nandrolone +winny etc.etc.) + HGH + Insulin

MR10X is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I worked out back in those days,late 70's and early 80's.We had test,all forms,deca ,durabolin ,winstrol ,equipoise ,anavar , Maxabolin,dianabol ,primobolin,finaject,HCG ,nolvade x,and the fina pellets were available but nobody converted them to injectable form.HGH was very hard to get and very expensive,it was used to treat kids that had growth deficiency.There was not a lot know about it being used to build muscle as there is now and nobody was going to spend that kind of money on something that was not proven.pros used deca and test to bulk and test and primo for contest prep. They didnt use nearly the high doses pros use now. Deca and dianabol were the 2 most popular steroids with bodybuilders,test dianabol,deca and anavar was popular with the power lifters.
    Last edited by MR10X; 07-11-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Thread Information