x_SANDMAN_x is offline Associate Member

Going back to the gym after 18 months...when should i start cycling again?

So i've been out of the gym for about 18 months. Going back tomorrow. I've lost major weight during the lay off...44lb!! So yeah, that sucks! Been working out for the most part of my life...15 years.

I'm just wondering when i should start cycling after going back to the gym. Obviously i can't start off with a cycle. What's the usual protocol on cycling after a lay-off?
    I've done two cycles in the past with fairly good results. So this will be my 3rd.

Cheers!

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    From my experience, it typically takes anywhere from 6 to 9 months to return close to where you were NATURALLY when you left off.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    From my experience, it typically takes anywhere from 6 to 9 months to return close to where you were NATURALLY when you left off.
    DAMN!! That's a very depressing thought! 6-9 months!! you gotta be kidding!

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    If you have been working out your whole life, you mean working out and cycle? I have worked out my whole life mostly 90% natural took a few yrs off and gained about 15 lbs....
    Anyhoo, if your talking about the latter i would agree with mic 6 months bro, or your gonna hurt yourself. If however u have worked out mostly natty then it should only takes 3 months of spot on dedication atleast strength wise. wait 18 months and u lost 44lbs!!!!! wholly sheep shit batman....was this muscle bro? Or where u on a 18 month cocaine binge...even if u where locked up u shouldnt of lost that kind of weight...I'm assuming u cycled A-LOT in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by x_SANDMAN_x View Post
    DAMN!! That's a very depressing thought! 6-9 months!! you gotta be kidding!
    Ive been in your shoes at least 3 times and this was my personal experience. No drugs, all natty. It took me between 6 and 9 months. I did two Body For Life's (Bill Phillips) back to back - that brought me to 6 months. Then a couple months of hard training with heavy weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck View Post
    If you have been working out your whole life, you mean working out and cycle? I have worked out my whole life mostly 90% natural took a few yrs off and gained about 15 lbs....
    Anyhoo, if your talking about the latter i would agree with mic 6 months bro, or your gonna hurt yourself. If however u have worked out mostly natty then it should only takes 3 months of spot on dedication atleast strength wise. wait 18 months and u lost 44lbs!!!!! wholly sheep shit batman....was this muscle bro? Or where u on a 18 month cocaine binge...even if u where locked up u shouldnt of lost that kind of weight...I'm assuming u cycled A-LOT in the past?
    Yep, 44 lb bro! and no cocaine binge or anything. Lost it just by doing nothing. That's how i am and its very frustrating. I could work my ass off at the gym and eat 7000 calories a day for like 6 months. Lay off the diet and gym for 3 months and i loose everything. And this is without AAS. Used to weigh 237lb @ %14 bf before the lay-off. Now i weigh 193lb @ %12 bf. I've done only 2 cycles in my life. First one was about 4 years ago and the last one was 1 year afterwards.

Blog Entries
    Wow that sucks....Im 40 and only 10 lbs away from what I was in 12th grade. I'm a hard gainer, but I also get very little atrophy.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by x_SANDMAN_x

Yep, 44 lb bro! and no cocaine binge or anything. Lost it just by doing nothing. That's how i am and its very frustrating. I could work my ass off at the gym and eat 7000 calories a day for like 6 months. Lay off the diet and gym for 3 months and i loose everything. And this is without AAS. Used to weigh 237lb @ %14 bf before the lay-off. Now i weigh 193lb @ %12 bf. I've done only 2 cycles in my life. First one was about 4 years ago and the last one was 1 year afterwards.
    Bro 6 to 9 months goes by so fast!! Use the time to your advantage to make the most of your knowledge. It will give you time to have your diet and cycle totally dialed in before you start

Blog Entries
    Wow that sucks....Im 40 and only 10 lbs away from what I was in 12th grade. I'm a hard gainer, but I also get very little atrophy. your age?

I was thinking of starting a cycle in like a month or two. something like test p/winny...get really shredded by summer. Not really interested in bulking as there is no time

Quote Originally Posted by x_SANDMAN_x
    I was thinking of starting a cycle in like a month or two. something like test p/winny...get really shredded by summer. Not really interested in bulking as there is no time
    You can be shredded with diet bro but your decision

How tall are you?

6'5 .....(bracing myself)

6'5"?

I wouldn't be doing any cycles until you're back in the gym for at least 6mos and are able to build up some solid muscle. You need to rebuild your foundation bro. Don't try to rush it - it will come fact enough, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox
    6'5"?

I wouldn't be doing any cycles until you're back in the gym for at least 6mos and are able to build up some solid muscle. You need to rebuild your foundation bro. Don't try to rush it - it will come fact enough, trust me.
    Exactly this is not a race it's a long distance run

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    6'5"?

I hear you. So what am i looking for that would let me know that im ready?
    To gain back the 44lb?
    Last edited by x_SANDMAN_x; 03-06-2013 at 05:49 PM.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The issue is going to be the tendons and ligaments Sandman. 6-9 months will go by fast but it will pay dividends for injury protection. You'll get back to where you want to be just don't rush it.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    I am in the same boat as u. Took off for a while and now back at it. Except I gain weight when I stop. Went from 220 to 250lbs fat as hell. I want to cycle now but I still have alot of room to grow naturally. No point to use aas if I can do it naturally and then cycle. Ive been goin hard for about 6 months and I've dropped 50lbs and plan on another 10 more, then lean bulk for a while then cut again. So that will be about 1.5 years natural before I cycle. And trust me I want to cycle bad but its better to have solid foundation.

I hear you. So what am i looking for that would let me know that im ready?
    To gain back the 44lb?
    No, not necessarily. I would hazard a guess and say that if you work out steady and eat right for the next 9 months you could likely gain 20-25lbs, or perhaps more depending on your diet and muscle memory), and that would restore a lot of your lost muscle and strength. It will also prepare your tendons for the abuse you will inevitably put on them during a cycle.

Take it slow and steady. It's a marathon, not a race.

Provita is offline Associate Member
    Moral of the story: don't do nothing for 18 months. But the up side is, you dont need 18 months to get back to where you were before...

Good luck man. You now have some solid advise.

Thread Information