rampaige77 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries

dirtbikes & arm pump

Im not sure where to post this question but I have owned a dirtbike up to 12 at one time for the last 7 years rode daily I love it but im at the point where I cant ride on gear I get forearm pump so bad I cant close my hands & this has caused me quite a few crashes lately ,those of you who ride know that clutch brake throttle ect ect all hand operated n need to be engaged rapidly on rough trails . my question is there something I can do to lessen this I mean I tried to wait it out last ride n 4 hours in it was worse than ever n its not like im on an asston of stuff 500mg cyp 400mg tren E a week I tried the taurine that I used for clen n that was like pissing on a forest fire. lil help plz im about to trade bike for a damn sailboat

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    No idea how to eliminate it, I ride quads and I get the same thing on long strenuous rides. I do know that the more aggressive you ride, the more pump you will get. It's like holding on to a 400# deadlift for 30 minutes at a time with little rests.

I know it doesn't make it better, but the pros suffer from it also.

Here is a post on it that give some help - this stuff is a lot easier said than done though. How To Prevent, Reduce, And Eliminate Motocross Arm Pump

AsEpSiS is offline Associate Member
    I raced semi pro motocross for a number of years. It sounds like BS, but having your handle bars, clutch perch andthrottle adjusted properly is Super important to cut down on arm pump.

Play around with adjusting those

Blog Entries
    i know that helps I prob gotta monkey round with it & go back to prop cuz when I dident take 3-4 day b4 I ride it was ok

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Simple: quit using Tren or quit riding dirtbikes.

Blog Entries
    you think the tren is the culprit worse than the test?

Blog Entries
    I honestly don't care for tren its like a jeckell & hyde thing for me but I do like the results but the sides suck ass I like the bikes way more I just never noticed a diff in the two on pumps

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yeah, tren delivers better pumps (which is a double-edged sword).

Blog Entries
    I just started back on it but ill just cut it out n run test only test is best anyhow, thanks for the input

Dolly is offline New Member
    I been riding for years mate. Arm pump sucks. Best thing for me has been to ride more often and by using steg pegz.. Too many people rely on arms for holding on, dont skip legs lol

Here is a list I found for my cousin and his made a lot of adjustments and now is very happy..

Good luck

Don’t hold the handlebar grips so tightly: If you are holding on to the handlebars with a death-grip, you are sure to get arm pump. Relax your hold. Flow with the bike, dont fight it. Learn to absorb bumps with your entire body being relaxed, not tense.

2. Grip the bike with your legs: Besides reducing arm pump, gripping the dirt bike with your legs instead of your hands, can greatly improve balance and speed. By gripping the tank with your knees you do not need to hold your handlebars so tightly.

3. Breathe, relax and have fun: State of mind is critical to reducing arm pump. Ever notice that you never get arm pump while practicing hard for hours, yet it’s an immediate factor at a 20 minute race? That’s because you are tensing up and stiff, and not breathing oxygen into your lungs, hence into your blood. Relax. Don’t hold your breathe. Breathe deeply and remind yourself to have fun while riding!

4. Ride more often: This is the most common solution given by motocross trainers. Probably because it forces all these tips to occur naturally. By riding often your body not only gets the consistent cardio workout part executed, but riding often also trains your muscles to oxygenate themselves during intense activity too. Best of all, riding more often will help you become a better, smoother rider, allowing the forearm muscles to do less work.

5. Avoid ‘wrist restriction’: Often overlooked, it is important not to restrict your wrists movement or blood-flow with overly tight jersey cuffs or glove closures. Less blood flowing through your wrist, means less blood flowing through your forearms. Keep your Velcro glove closures loose.

6. Buy quality aftermarket products designed to help: There are several high quality products on the market that have proven to reduce rider fatigue and arm pump. Steering dampers, anti vibration handlebars, impact absorbing handlebar gel, and newer grip design, can all reduce arm pump. ChronicMX has done product reviews on most of these with positive results (See product reviews).

7. Ensure proper bike settings: Suspension, Handlebar choice, and lever positioning must be properly set for each rider’s custom weight, height, skill level, comfort and terrain. Incorrect settings will lead to the need for an increased grip on the handlebars, causing arm fatigue and creating a higher likelihood of arm pump.

Off the bike:

8. Follow a weekly cardio workout program: Cardiovascular exercise increases your body’s ability to replenish muscles with oxygen. By teaching the muscles to replenish themselves with a fresh supply of oxygenated blood during stress, arm pump becomes greatly reduced.

9. Take supplements: It is very important to keep your body’s level of minerals and nutrients high, so that it can replenish itself during intense cardio exercise. Numerous companies make supplements that include minerals such as magnesium, that have been proven to work well in combating arm pump. Some even help break up lactic acid build up. Cytomax is a chosen favorite amongst motocrossers….so is taking a small dose of aspirin as a blood thinner.

10. Drink more H20: Staying hydrated is a critical factor for obvious reasons. Dehydration can lead to muscle cramps and fatigue. Not only will drinking more water help reduce arm pump, but it can improve the body’s ability to absorb critical minerals and prevent heat stroke too.

11. Do 15 minutes of cardio exercise just prior to riding: This is critical and one of the most important factors in reducing arm pump. Raising your heart rate prior to your first moto or ride is a guaranteed way to increase blood flow throughout your body and hence, prevent arm pump. This is why you see the pros doing jumping jacks or riding stationary bicycles just before the start of each moto.

12. Try this proven method: Oddly enough, we found one of the best overall training ‘books’ on eliminating arm pump to come from an Australian motocross champion named Steve Smith. Follow this link to his proven techniques that many racers absolutely swear has worked for them

Thread Information