Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member

First side effect - blood pressure

Currently on week 6 of my 1st cycle, regular test e cycle, copied from Austenite's My First Cycle: Planning and Executing a Successful First Cycle

week 1-12: 225 mgs testosterone enanthate every 3.5 days
    week 1-14: 0.5mg arimidex every 3.5 days
    week 1-14: 300 ui HCG every 3.5 days

I'm also on finasteride (1mg ed) and accutane (20mgs ed).

Supplements: weekly B12 shots, multivitamin ed, Vit C ed, BCAA peptides morning and after workout

Cycle has been great, I'm up 12-13 pounds. Crazy strenght gains, crazy pumps and overall my body feels totally different. Also loving the new sex drive lol.
    I'm 38 and all my life have been lifting weights, sometimes a bit off as life goes on but always considered my self a bodybuilder at heart. Never been on AAS, my prime was in my mid twenties maybe I can get back there .

Side effects I only feel the bloat the day before taking adex, so i am considering taking it eod. Also sex drive lowers a bit past the adex half life.

Last chest workout, started to feel a headache during the workout, but as I was in the beach for a while before the workout thought it was due to it, sun and all. Yesterday, started shoulder press and mid my 1st working set (heavy) got another severe headache. I almost never have headaches, most of the pain seems to be behind my right eye. Still continued the workout, but had to tone it down a lot, I like to train high intensity so it was a really bad workout .
    Knew exactly what it was - high blood pressure -
    All my life my blood pressure has been almost perfect 12-8. Today in the morning 15-9, during the high intensity sets probably spiked to values that got me the bad headache.
    So, blood pressure is my first bad side effect from this cycle.

My doctor wants to prescribe me an ARB (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker) but I remember Bonaparte advising on ACE inhibitors. So what is the best drug to help on-cycle blood pressure?

Novice489 is offline Associate Member
    Have you done labs to see if your hematocrit has increased while on cycle? I believe that can cause an increase in BP.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Angiotensin II receptor antagonists (like losartan) have the same effect as ACE inhibitors, with less risk of side effects. The downside is that they're more expensive because they're newer.
    This is why it is generally a good idea to try ACE inhibitors first, then switch for Losartan if you get side effects from them.

BTW, you mean 150/90 (mmHg) for your BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Aux View Post
    Have you done labs to see if your hematocrit has increased while on cycle? I believe that can cause an increase in BP.
    Not yet, was waiting to do BW at week 8.
    Pre cycle BW hematocrit was low. 40% if remember correctly.
    I'm sure it now has increased as although im heavier my VO2max has improved

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Angiotensin II receptor antagonists (like losartan) have the same effect as ACE inhibitors, with less risk of side effects. The downside is that they're more expensive because they're newer.
    This is why it is generally a good idea to try ACE inhibitors first, then switch for Losartan if you get side effects from them.

BTW, you mean 150/90 (mmHg) for your BP.
    Yes 150/90 mmHg.

Thanks for your explanation. The insurance is paying.

Took 150mgs of irbesartan and 30min later the feeling of headache was gone. Gonna take couple of days off training.
    Last edited by Mr.BB; 06-06-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Noticing a bit more sleepiness... Need to be carefull driving

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Noticing a bit more sleepiness... Need to be carefull driving
    That's odd. The renin-angiotensin system has nothing to do with wakefulness. Drowsiness is usually associated with BP meds that act on the adrenergic system (beta blocker and alpha agonists).

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    That's odd. The renin-angiotensin system has nothing to do with wakefulness. Drowsiness is usually associated with BP meds that act on the adrenergic system (beta blocker and alpha agonists).
    Maybe its me just tired

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, and hyperlipidemia are some of the most common side effects with AAS and even the AIs can cause problems for lipid metabolism. Expect that these will be issues on cycle.

Thread Information