chris.baker is offline Junior Member

VA and TRT Question

If this is not the correct forum for this, I apologize. Please please let me know if it isn't.

I'm retired military. I'm sure I can't be the only one, so looking for some direction with the Veteran's Administration. I've learned recently that the VA will cover TRT.

Has anyone here used the VA for TRT? If so, at what age did you start and how did you go about it? The VA can be a complete pain in the ass to deal with. You cannot just go in and ask for TRT. You can go in and give them a list of symptoms and cross your finger they come up with the right diagnosis (GOOD LUCK!).

My thought was to go to a private TRT clinic, get diagnosed, then take said records to my primary care VA doc and have them prescribe the TRT.

Final question... those that are on TRT (specifically anyone on TRT through the VA), are you on shots or a gel or patch? I've read some posts on VA forums where they will cover the gel and/or patch... but I have a daughter and a much younger girlfriend in my home so I'm a bit nervous about the gel/patch. I'd much rather have the shot if possible.

Thanks!

Don't know much about the VA but I hope you get what you need bro.

Post your question in the HRT section.
    A couple of active members deal with the VA.

chris.baker is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Deadliting Dog! I went ahead and posted it there.

Scotchguard, consider yourself lucky. Seriously, overall, the VA has it's good points. A lot of the care I've received has been top notch. A few issues I've had....

- They will throw pills at you like they are candy.
    - They will often over prescribe!! One doc left and I got a new doc. Was having issues with my meds at the time. New doc was like "Yikes she had you way over dosed! No wonder it was causing problems!"
    - If they get something stuck in their head they will not consider any alternatives without being spoon fed.
    - They will do just about anything they can to keep from doing surgery on you.

That said, many of the horror stories you hear about the VA are from the ratings side, not the treatment side. If a vet has health issues, more times than not they get the proper treatment. However, if they file for a disability rating for a service connected injury it can take YEARS to get approved (even if it's a 100% legit claim). Not all of that is the fault of the VA though. There are thousands of bogus claims. :/

IronClydes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.baker View Post
    Thanks Deadliting Dog! I went ahead and posted it there.

Scotchguard, consider yourself lucky. Seriously, overall, the VA has it's good points. A lot of the care I've received has been top notch. A few issues I've had....

- They will throw pills at you like they are candy.
    - They will often over prescribe!! One doc left and I got a new doc. Was having issues with my meds at the time. New doc was like "Yikes she had you way over dosed! No wonder it was causing problems!"
    - If they get something stuck in their head they will not consider any alternatives without being spoon fed.
    - They will do just about anything they can to keep from doing surgery on you.

That said, many of the horror stories you hear about the VA are from the ratings side, not the treatment side. If a vet has health issues, more times than not they get the proper treatment. However, if they file for a disability rating for a service connected injury it can take YEARS to get approved (even if it's a 100% legit claim). Not all of that is the fault of the VA though. There are thousands of bogus claims. :/
    Got a lot of answers for ya. I'll find your HRT forum post and respond. I get my TRT through the VA.

Thread Information