Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tice1212
  • 1 Post By tice1212
  • 1 Post By borlef
  • 1 Post By borlef
  • 1 Post By Simon1972

Thread: When do I know if I'm ready/it's time to gear up?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    borlef is offline Junior Member

When do I know if I'm ready/it's time to gear up?

I'm skinny and weak from a long illness, so right now I'm about 6'0 155, but even with 3500 kcal a day and heavy lifting, the most I can get to is 175 and there I am not very lean.

I've always gotten very strong from working out, e.g. I could max bench about 240 my freshman year of college at 150 lbs, but there was always a running joke that I was bulimic or something because I out-ate everyone by double at the cafeteria, including my buddies on the football team who were 210 lbs.

Simply put, I add muscle at a tiny fraction of the rate of most people... and I don't add any muscle to my arms, despite them being my strongest body part.

So what stage in my workouts, what weight, etc. would you recommend I be at to get on gear? I'm well old enough, so what are the other considerations? Oh, I'm also very very lean, as you would probably imagine from my height to weight, so body fat isn't an issue, MUSCLE IS!

Thanks.

tempest818 is offline Associate Member
    well you're not eating enough man...if you think you are, and you're not gaining, then keep eating. Eat frequently..eat well. If you're not growing youre not eating. And if youre not eating then you wont grow. There is no special circumstance (unless you're sick or suffer from some serious deficiency which you WOULD know about) where you can eat alot and now grow.

Frontpump is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest818 View Post
    well you're not eating enough man...if you think you are, and you're not gaining, then keep eating. Eat frequently..eat well. If you're not growing youre not eating. And if youre not eating then you wont grow. There is no special circumstance (unless you're sick or suffer from some serious deficiency which you WOULD know about) where you can eat alot and now grow.
    IDK about this. Knew a guy who ate so much he was almost throwing up nightly. Couldn't break 190 his whole life. After months of acid reflux etc, he jumped on the juice.

Not saying you are or aren't eating enough. But if you were that guy, you were eating all that was physically possible, and not gaining. So it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontpump View Post
    IDK about this. Knew a guy who ate so much he was almost throwing up nightly. Couldn't break 190 his whole life. After months of acid reflux etc, he jumped on the juice.

Not saying you are or aren't eating enough. But if you were that guy, you were eating all that was physically possible, and not gaining. So it happens.
    thats pretty much me, except i just shit a lot.

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    How long have u been lifting?

What kinda training have u tried? I no u said heavy weights but have u tried anything else? High volume lifting, lifting to failure ext.

What's your diet like?yes u said 3500 cals but what elae?how many carbs on average protien fat everything. The more we no the more we can help out. How long have u been on this diet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 73rr View Post
    How long have u been lifting?

What kinda training have u tried? I no u said heavy weights but have u tried anything else? High volume lifting, lifting to failure ext.

What's your diet like?yes u said 3500 cals but what elae?how many carbs on average protien fat everything. The more we no the more we can help out. How long have u been on this diet as well.
    Been lifting for many many years. I tend to do pyramids and lift to failure. I eat a lot of carbs; oatmeal, whole grain pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes. I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, salmon. Decent amount of veggies, usually a salad 4 times a week. Plenty of fruit, 3 pieces a day maybe and lots of berries. So very clean. I have a very very fast metabolism and when I do just eat tons, it doesn't add to my muscularity. Despite totally normal free-test, test, etc, I just don't grow muscle. I mean justin bieber can lift and eat all he wants, but he's never guna be jacked or look like adrian peterson could eating junk food and doing 1 workout a week. I just have trouble adding muscle

Simon1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by borlef View Post
    Been lifting for many many years. I tend to do pyramids and lift to failure. I eat a lot of carbs; oatmeal, whole grain pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes. I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, salmon. Decent amount of veggies, usually a salad 4 times a week. Plenty of fruit, 3 pieces a day maybe and lots of berries. So very clean. I have a very very fast metabolism and when I do just eat tons, it doesn't add to my muscularity. Despite totally normal free-test, test, etc, I just don't grow muscle. I mean justin bieber can lift and eat all he wants, but he's never guna be jacked or look like adrian peterson could eating junk food and doing 1 workout a week. I just have trouble adding muscle
    borlef- how old are you really? by 39 you will naturally slow your metabolism and gain weight- so im assuming based on what ive read you are not truely 39.

having said that i feel your pain- i was the same. cut back on your workouts- 4 times a week at 1hr max is all you need- focus on food- and eat a semi paleo diet- meat- cheese- nuts - broccoli-fish- chicken- basically stirfry asian food with a little rice.

dont cut out carbs but limit it- you are only using them for energy- but any protein you eat will also be converted into energy if needed.

i overtrained and ended up not gaining- when i trained short and hard- i made progress- mix up your training-
    4 weeks strength - 4 weeks mass training ,repeat.

all the while eat clean. dont kick yourself if you blow out some days- enjoy life.

SidVicious77 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest818 View Post
    well you're not eating enough man...if you think you are, and you're not gaining, then keep eating.
    This. You might be out eating everyone else and still not eating enough for your metabolism and genetics. Eat more and eat well, but honestly even junk food will help you gain.

tice1212 is offline Productive Member
    I'm skinny and weak from a long illness, so right now I'm about 6'0 155, but even with 3500 kcal a day and heavy lifting, the most I can get to is 175 and there I am not very lean.

I've always gotten very strong from working out, e.g. I could max bench about 240 my freshman year of college at 150 lbs, but there was always a running joke that I was bulimic or something because I out-ate everyone by double at the cafeteria, including my buddies on the football team who were 210 lbs.

Simply put, I add muscle at a tiny fraction of the rate of most people... and I don't add any muscle to my arms, despite them being my strongest body part.

So what stage in my workouts, what weight, etc. would you recommend I be at to get on gear? I'm well old enough, so what are the other considerations? Oh, I'm also very very lean, as you would probably imagine from my height to weight, so body fat isn't an issue, MUSCLE IS!

Thanks.
    Ur not ready gearing up.. Use that money and hire a well reputable coach. Ur not eating. Carbs don't build muscle they give u energy to build muscle but protein is the muscle builder. Find ur TDEE. And start tracking ur calories. From ur stats I'm going to guess and say ur eating 2000 calorie. Ur 6ft 155lbs ur skinny as fvck bro. Hire a coach that can help u. Drugs are not ur answer
    ariesgow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tice1212 View Post
    Ur not ready gearing up.. Use that money and hire a well reputable coach. Ur not eating. Carbs don't build muscle they give u energy to build muscle but protein is the muscle builder. Find ur TDEE. And start tracking ur calories. From ur stats I'm going to guess and say ur eating 2000 calorie. Ur 6ft 155lbs ur skinny as fvck bro. Hire a coach that can help u. Drugs are not ur answer
    Borlef, this is the answer your looking for. U need to actually mathematically figure out your daily intake and what your actually eating.

I'm naturally a skinny f**k just like u. If I stopped eating and lifting like I do. I would go from 210lbs like I am to 180 lbs faster then a African marathon runner can run a mile. Haha

Gear is not what will help. U will lose all your gains after your cycle and probably hurt yourself at that

Borlef, this is the answer your looking for. U need to actually mathematically figure out your daily intake and what your actually eating.

I'm naturally a skinny f**k just like u. If I stopped eating and lifting like I do. I would go from 210lbs like I am to 180 lbs faster then a African marathon runner can run a mile. Haha

Gear is not what will help. U will lose all your gains after your cycle and probably hurt yourself at that
    Well I'm 155 at the moment because I've been very sick. But let's disregard the 155. Let's just use my normal lifting heavy, eating heavy weight of around 170.

It just can't be a matter of protein, cuz even when I consumer silly amounts of burgers, tuna, eggs, chicken, probably 1.5g of protein per lb, which is totally unnecessary, I just wouldn't grow muscle.

How about this. Barring my migraines getting worse, I'll use the next 8 weeks to lift a lot, and eat a weighed out 3k cal. I already am mostly paleo, but will cut down on some of the grains and add in some more nuts (I used to eat a ton of nuts but developed an intolerance to several). I'll of course gain weight, maybe 10-15 lbs. I'll take some measurements of my arms to see if those get any growth, as those have always been laughably small despite being super strong. Then we'll talk again.

Well I'm 155 at the moment because I've been very sick. But let's disregard the 155. Let's just use my normal lifting heavy, eating heavy weight of around 170.

It just can't be a matter of protein, cuz even when I consumer silly amounts of burgers, tuna, eggs, chicken, probably 1.5g of protein per lb, which is totally unnecessary, I just wouldn't grow muscle.

How about this. Barring my migraines getting worse, I'll use the next 8 weeks to lift a lot, and eat a weighed out 3k cal. I already am mostly paleo, but will cut down on some of the grains and add in some more nuts (I used to eat a ton of nuts but developed an intolerance to several). I'll of course gain weight, maybe 10-15 lbs. I'll take some measurements of my arms to see if those get any growth, as those have always been laughably small despite being super strong. Then we'll talk again.
    Sounds great! Keep us updated on your diet and training. If u gain 10lbs in 8 weeks u will be my new hero!

Sounds great! Keep us updated on your diet and training. If u gain 10lbs in 8 weeks u will be my new hero!
    Thanks. Hopefully the quality of the pounds will be as good as the quantity of the pounds! One time I made a mega-push and gained 13 in a month, but went from shredded to just average build, and I'm not THAT vain about my body, but it was like I lost my physical identity. I've always seen veins and cuts everywhere, then I was just kinda an average 173 pound dude and it was really weird to see myself like that. THAT was too much too quick! Plus it turned out I had a stomach parasite... it wasn't the damn protein shakes making my stomach hurt!

mark woods is offline Associate Member
    Food and heavy compounds it's that simple I don't think u need a trainer (I don't think it matter unless it's ur livelihood)get urself on jason blaha 5#5 novice programme and eat til your full 5/6 times a day and you will gain.weight and size

Bio-Active is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    3500 calories Ed at your weight should be enough for you to gain. I would be interested to see your exact meal plan? Are you weighing all your food?

Quote Originally Posted by mark woods View Post
    Food and heavy compounds it's that simple I don't think u need a trainer (I don't think it matter unless it's ur livelihood)get urself on jason blaha 5#5 novice programme and eat til your full 5/6 times a day and you will gain.weight and size
    Lmfao so u don't think a coach to help guide him in nutrition or training is necessary but u telling him to eat more and heavy drugs will do the trick. Smh please stop. Lol
    The goal here mark wood is to educate no a quick and harmful fix.
    ariesgow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tice1212
    Lmfao so u don't think a coach to help guide him in nutrition or training is necessary but u telling him to eat more and heavy drugs will do the trick. Smh please stop. Lol The goal here mark wood is to educate no a quick and harmful fix.
    I think he may be saying heavy compound movements.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post

I think he may be saying heavy compound movements.
    Oh okay lmao.

I guess I also just wonder how gear affects someone with a hyper-fast metabolism such as myself.

I'm not kidding when I say I've been the biggest eater I know at every stage of my life. In high school and college all the monstrous dudes would look at my plate and be like "dude, no f*cken chance you eat it" and I'd be like "man, i'll be going back for seconds." and I always would. I used to order a 16" large pizza and eat the whole thing myself several times a week.

Basically I just sh*t three times a day, my body seriously likes being lean, but I'm seriously over it.

Gear will do nothing for u in the long run. U will gain a little mass them lose it later because YOUR either not training right or not eating enough. Learn a calorie split like 40p/40c/20f and your tdee. If u eat and set your self up with this u WILL GAIN weight. It also takes time.

Genetics do play a card in this life style but your type of Genetics in this case is NOT the issue. It's just makes it harder to gain. Ones again the same as u and if I gain 5 lbs in one year I'm happy. Y because it is solid long lasting hard earned muscle that I got by eating like a damn animal and training as hard as I can and then eating even more. Then I sleep and start eating again and over aND over it goes

Gear will do nothing for u in the long run. U will gain a little mass them lose it later because YOUR either not training right or not eating enough. Learn a calorie split like 40p/40c/20f and your tdee. If u eat and set your self up with this u WILL GAIN weight. It also takes time.

Genetics do play a card in this life style but your type of Genetics in this case is NOT the issue. It's just makes it harder to gain. Ones again the same as u and if I gain 5 lbs in one year I'm happy. Y because it is solid long lasting hard earned muscle that I got by eating like a damn animal and training as hard as I can and then eating even more. Then I sleep and start eating again and over aND over it goes
    So basically gear is just a very temporary thing, like borrowing your buddy's porsche to take out some chick, but sooner or later the jig is up, cuz you don't own a damn porsche...
    73rr likes this.

MrFreshmaker is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by borlef
    So basically gear is just a very temporary thing, like borrowing your buddy's porsche to take out some chick, but sooner or later the jig is up, cuz you don't own a damn porsche...
    Lol,nice example hahaha

So if u have a good foundation then your car will be able to hold a little boost and have no problem.

Just like if u have a solid foundation your body can hold a little gains with a little maintenance (gear) every now and then.

So if u have a good foundation then your car will be able to hold a little boost and have no problem.

Just like if u have a solid foundation your body can hold a little gains with a little maintenance (gear) every now and then.

TheTaxMan is offline 100% BRITISH BEEF

Sort of, but you do keep more than just memories
    You will keep some of your gains, so in your example, maybe you get to keep the wheels but not the full porsche

Bodacious is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaxMan View Post
    You will keep some of your gains, so in your example, maybe you get to keep the wheels but not the full porsche
    Lmao...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaxMan View Post
    The question is do i get to keep the girl?
    TheTaxMan likes this.

Simon1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    The question is do i get to keep the girl?
    yes- yes you do.
    TheTaxMan likes this.

Haha, kinda.

That's y ppl don't just do one cycle and come off.

If u want to put it in car terms it's more like restoration of a car. U buy a car for cheap and biuld it in your garage. U fix the rust and give it a new paint job. Make it run smooth and healthy. Ones your restoration is show wealthy then u think, hmmm, maybe I should put a sweet blower on this car so it runs faster. But if your carstill engine doesn't have a built or restored engine then it's just going to blow up on u. Sure it will be fast when your boosting but not for long.
    Last edited by 73rr; 11-04-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Billegitimate is offline Junior Member
    You've already pointed out that you've had at least one food intolerance. If you really are eating enough then consider its not just what you eat, it's what you absorb usefully from what you eat.

Had a friend who was 140 at 5'10' and had never been able to gain weight. From a strict elimination diet he determined he reacted in a strong way to both gluten and nightshades. After eliminating both he began gaining weight. Guy was in his 40s, stuffed his face all his life and never could gain weight.

Now he's up 20 pounds in about 3 years, lean and finally has muscle. He also said that his poop is different now.

Suggest digging into this stuff. If your gut is constantly irritated it produces excess mucus that blocks the offender a bit but also prevents absorption of nutrients.

Thread Information