Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By AlphaMindz
  • 2 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By Quester
  • 2 Post By redz
  • 1 Post By Testlolblast

Thread: T3 or T4: how to take them correctly?

Testlolblast is offline Associate Member

T3 or T4: how to take them correctly?

I have question about using t3 or levothyroxine in bodybuilding - how do you bodybuilders take this kind of drug - 30/60 min before a meal, with food or after eating??

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I take 50mcg before working out usually on empty stomach or after pre workout drink.

fiddlesticks is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    T3 should be dosed 3 to 4 times a day at 5-15mcg in a perfect world as the half life is pitiful.

It will absorb best fasted and while being in a capsule ime.

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    IME I felt the best when taking it with food in the morning. IMO the dose doesn't need to be higher than 50mcgs once a day in the am as levels peak after a few hours and take several days to metabolize.

I have seen guys go up to 100mcgs and even 150mcgs for pro level competitors but for most of us 50mcgs should do the trick because there is a negative feedback loop with thyroid hormone although I've heard people say it flips right back on...yes, at lower dosages, if it's not run for extended periods of time then your thyroid will switch right back on but a lot of bikini and figure competitors have thyroids that are shot to hell cause they stayed on cytomel year round during the years they competed...Don't do this! Cycle it like everything else to allow endogenous function to stay in tact.

IMO the best time to use t3 is if your natural levels are low to begin with, if you're cutting for a show and can't get those last 10 pounds off, or if you're running tren and thyroid output has decreased as it tends to do on tren.
    spywizard likes this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    If your trying to decide between T3 or T4

if your cutting and on a low carb diet , T3 is going to be best. if your on a high carb diet, utilizing insulin , or just trying to promote nutrient uptake and metabolic support then T4 works fine.

if your running HGH and/or Tren and your thyroid is suppressed, T4 works just fine (as long as your liver is healthy)

if your starting a new diet and you want your metabolism at a 'fixed' rate while dialing in the diet and macros, T3 is the most optimal (as T3 is actual active thyroid hormone and requires zero conversion).
    I often time have clients run T3 at a replacement dosage when starting a new diet just to take the metabolism factor out of the equation to get the diet optimized first and foremost.

if your cutting, T3 works best. start with a lower dosage , 12.5-25mcg, and ramp up to 50mcg. when you come off taper back down.
    if you just want some metabolic support, then T4 at 75-150mcg works.

don't take T3 with caffeine. its effects are limited when combined with caffeine.
    split your T3 dosage up and take it a couple times per day with a meal
    if your heart rate and body temperature go way up while on thyroid meds then your taking too high a dosage or too much at once.
    when you come off of T3/T4 try supplementation with natty thyroid support like Iodine

those are just a few thoughts I have on the subject
    spywizard and HoldMyBeer like this.

Thank you all for your replies!
    Well, like I had said in my previous posts I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed at age 17, so I'm on levothyroxine 125 mcg/ed for at least three years now (have been using thyroid medication for almost 14 years). The last blood test showed this: TSH apx. 3.6, FT4 apx. 16, FT3 apx. 3.3. I upped my medication by myself for the purpose of getting TSH in the healthier range: 1 - 2. So for the time being I'm on 125 mcg/ed excepting Monday and Friday (187.5 mcg). So far haven't experienced any anxiety, nervousness, fast heart rate, palpitations, sweating, etc. The good things are I have more energy, the mood has lifted.
    The question is should I try a "bodybuilding dose" of t4 during my upcoming test prop/ proviron aas cycle to get even more benefit of the cycle? If the answer is yes how should the dosage plan look like? Also I excluded t3 because it's more potent and I am afraid of significant fluctuations in thyroid hormone levels, possible cardiovasular problems, getting too agitated, etc.
    Thank you in advance!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Testlolblast View Post
    Well, like I had said in my previous posts I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed at age 17, so I'm on levothyroxine 125 mcg/ed for at least three years now (have been using thyroid medication for almost 14 years). The last blood test showed this: TSH apx. 3.6, FT4 apx. 16, FT3 apx. 3.3. I upped my medication by myself for the purpose of getting TSH in the healthier range: 1 - 2. So for the time being I'm on 125 mcg/ed excepting Monday and Friday (187.5 mcg). So far haven't experienced any anxiety, nervousness, fast heart rate, palpitations, sweating, etc. The good things are I have more energy, the mood has lifted.
    The question is should I try a "bodybuilding dose" of t4 during my upcoming test prop/ proviron aas cycle to get even more benefit of the cycle? If the answer is yes how should the dosage plan look like? Also I excluded t3 because it's more potent and I am afraid of significant fluctuations in thyroid hormone levels, possible cardiovasular problems, getting too agitated, etc.
    Thank you in advance!
    Your t3 levels are going to probably be fine if taking 125mcg t4 w all those androgens

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    If your trying to decide between T3 or T4

if your cutting and on a low carb diet , T3 is going to be best. if your on a high carb diet, utilizing insulin , or just trying to promote nutrient uptake and metabolic support then T4 works fine.

if your running HGH and/or Tren and your thyroid is suppressed, T4 works just fine (as long as your liver is healthy)

if your starting a new diet and you want your metabolism at a 'fixed' rate while dialing in the diet and macros, T3 is the most optimal (as T3 is actual active thyroid hormone and requires zero conversion).
    I often time have clients run T3 at a replacement dosage when starting a new diet just to take the metabolism factor out of the equation to get the diet optimized first and foremost.

if your cutting, T3 works best. start with a lower dosage , 12.5-25mcg, and ramp up to 50mcg. when you come off taper back down.
    if you just want some metabolic support, then T4 at 75-150mcg works.

don't take T3 with caffeine. its effects are limited when combined with caffeine.
    split your T3 dosage up and take it a couple times per day with a meal
    if your heart rate and body temperature go way up while on thyroid meds then your taking too high a dosage or too much at once.
    when you come off of T3/T4 try supplementation with natty thyroid support like Iodine

those are just a few thoughts I have on the subject
    You think the caffeine makes t3 work less? The two combined definitely make me feel like im molten lol

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Your t3 levels are going to probably be fine if taking 125mcg t4 w all those androgens
    So, there is no need for the dosage adjustment to maintain TSH levels optimal?

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    You think the caffeine makes t3 work less? The two combined definitely make me feel like im molten lol
    its mainly that caffeine can effect the absorption of the med through the intestinal wall. so you may end up getting less of a dosage.
    I've heard of caffeine limiting effects at the receptor level as well, but would need to read back up on that to say so with any confidence

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    its mainly that caffeine can effect the absorption of the med through the intestinal wall. so you may end up getting less of a dosage.
    I've heard of caffeine limiting effects at the receptor level as well, but would need to read back up on that to say so with any confidence
    More problems with t3 absorption, this is why i want to try T3 inject

I take 50mg/ed T4 in the AM right after my HGH shot. That HGH/T4 combo works like a miracle on me. I'm on TRT 150mg/wk + HGH/T5 and I can eat doughnuts without worrying about getting belly fat. For an old guy like me, that HGH/T4 combo is hard to beat for cutting belly fat.

Thank you, fiddlesticks: I think I will stick with this regimen, don't wanna get too drastic fluctuations in my TSH levels!

Quester is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Testlolblast View Post
    Thank you in advance!
    If you already are taking T4 because of a thyroid problem, sticking with the dosage is a good idea. Normal TSH levels are between 0.3 - 6 (microunits/mL). The oral version, should be taken in the AM (when the stomach is completely empty) 30-60 minutes before eating. You probably already know this. It is highly protein bound 99.97% and the half life is 7 days. Hormone levels remain very steady which means once a day dosing is fine. But, it takes 1 month to reach a plateau (therapeutic level).
    Substances that reduce absorption:
    Histamine (H2) such as -tagament
    Proton Pump Inhibitors -Prevacid
    Sucralfate -Carafate
    Cholestyramine -Questran
    Colestipol -Colestid
    Antacids contaiing aluminum -maalox, mylanta
    calcium supplements-Tums, Os-cal ***(Note: T4 reduces calcium which can lead to bone loss).
    Iron Supps -ferrous sulfate
    Magnesium Salts
    Orlistat

IV doses are about 50% of the oral dose.

***T3 is the one with a short half-life, shorter duration of action and rapid onset. It is often taken 2x day.

As a future medical profession, I must say that both of these are dangerous and I would never take them. As a member of the forum, I respect the thoughts of other members, particularly those who have the experience with this that I do not and never will. If one is considering taking either T3 or T4, it should be well researched from the standpoint of "How do I not hurt myslef?" Instead of, "how do get what I want?"
    Testlolblast likes this.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I’ve yet to hear a single story of anyone having adverse permanent effects from T3 or T4.
    fiddlesticks and Quester like this.

Blog Entries
    Only bad thing is if you take too much T3 at once (like.. 125mcg) it can be pretty uncomfortable.. Thats really it

Only bad thing is if you take too much T3 at once (like.. 125mcg) it can be pretty uncomfortable.. Thats really it
    Pretty uncomfortable? To much T3 potentiates a hyperthyroid crisis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thyroid-storm-7-728.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	175664

VETS on here and other places, have used T3 and/or T4 for years without any negative effects. Does that mean that it is a casual thing, like changing ones diet? or, "pretty uncomfortable," NO! It is on the level of insulin . And, not something that someone should add to their first cycle. It is definitely responsible to warn a person whose first cycle consists of Proviron and "what should I add to Proviron?" and irresponsible to to point of incredulous to say "uncomfortable." Can it be used safely? Yes, by those who have the knowledge and ability to make safety a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    If you already are taking T4 because of a thyroid problem, sticking with the dosage is a good idea. Normal TSH levels are between 0.3 - 6 (microunits/mL). The oral version, should be taken in the AM (when the stomach is completely empty) 30-60 minutes before eating. You probably already know this. It is highly protein bound 99.97% and the half life is 7 days. Hormone levels remain very steady which means once a day dosing is fine. But, it takes 1 month to reach a plateau (therapeutic level).
    Substances that reduce absorption:
    Histamine (H2) such as -tagament
    Proton Pump Inhibitors -Prevacid
    Sucralfate -Carafate
    Cholestyramine -Questran
    Colestipol -Colestid
    Antacids contaiing aluminum -maalox, mylanta
    calcium supplements-Tums, Os-cal ***(Note: T4 reduces calcium which can lead to bone loss).
    Iron Supps -ferrous sulfate
    Magnesium Salts
    Orlistat

IV doses are about 50% of the oral dose.

***T3 is the one with a short half-life, shorter duration of action and rapid onset. It is often taken 2x day.

As a future medical profession, I must say that both of these are dangerous and I would never take them. As a member of the forum, I respect the thoughts of other members, particularly those who have the experience with this that I do not and never will. If one is considering taking either T3 or T4, it should be well researched from the standpoint of "How do I not hurt myslef?" Instead of, "how do get what I want?"
    Thank you for the voluminous&useful info!
    Quester likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    Pretty uncomfortable? To much T3 potentiates a hyperthyroid crisis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thyroid-storm-7-728.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	175664

VETS on here and other places, have used T3 and/or T4 for years without any negative effects. Does that mean that it is a casual thing, like changing ones diet? or, "pretty uncomfortable," NO! It is on the level of insulin . And, not something that someone should add to their first cycle. It is definitely responsible to warn a person whose first cycle consists of Proviron and "what should I add to Proviron?" and irresponsible to to point of incredulous to say "uncomfortable." Can it be used safely? Yes, by those who have the knowledge and ability to make safety a priority.
    T3 as dangerous as insulin? Dafuq did i just read?

^^This...LOL. "Dafuq" LOL

Thread Information