Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By ml87
  • 2 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 4 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 2 Post By ml87

Thread: concerning bloodwork? going back to trt

  1. #1
    ml87's Avatar
    ml87 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    363

    concerning bloodwork? going back to trt

    its been about a year since the last pin of anything. It was 200/wk of cyp trt with 2iu growth. I came off to make a baby and was successful and am about to start back on trt alone. Bloodwork came back with a few red flags which alone, wouldn't bother me but together make me worried. Test level is 295 and everything else in range.

    AST (SGOT) is 95. Range 11-39
    T3 Uptake is 50. Range is 32-48
    % Free PSA is 20. Range is 25-99%

    The growth was only used for a month due to nasty carpal tunnel. I drink minimally and don't smoke. No other meds aside from multi and powdered greens. Diet is good and water intake is great. Any educated input would be appreciated. Thank you

    35yom
    220lb

  2. #2
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    10,141
    Quote Originally Posted by ml87 View Post
    its been about a year since the last pin of anything. It was 200/wk of cyp trt with 2iu growth. I came off to make a baby and was successful and am about to start back on trt alone. Bloodwork came back with a few red flags which alone, wouldn't bother me but together make me worried. Test level is 295 and everything else in range.

    AST (SGOT) is 95. Range 11-39
    T3 Uptake is 50. Range is 32-48
    % Free PSA is 20. Range is 25-99%

    The growth was only used for a month due to nasty carpal tunnel. I drink minimally and don't smoke. No other meds aside from multi and powdered greens. Diet is good and water intake is great. Any educated input would be appreciated. Thank you

    35yom
    220lb
    Are you self-medicating your TRT? Or are you going through your PCP or TRT clinic?

    So after a year of being away from all things androgenic , your AST is 95? That's could be a sign of something going on in the liver (IE cirrhosis, cancer, etc). But don't think this means that something is wrong with with it. Hard exercise will also elevate your AST level (to what extent? I really don't know). It could be osteoporosis or cholestasis that are causing it to be elevated. I don't know if you've abused drugs like Tylenol (I sure have before) to get through bouts of pain, but that can be another cause.

    The point is you shouldn't worry about that one particular blood test. You should though have your doctor retest you and make sure you're FASTING for at least 12 hours before you do the bloodwork. And make sure you're well hydrated (drinking ONLY WATER DURING THAT FASTING PERIOD). Just to make sure these factors aren't skewing the results. It might also help to not do any strenuous exercise for a week prior to the bloodwork, but I would check with your doctor on this).

    If it still comes back too high, then with a physician look in to the potential causes and treat it from there. You're going to accomplish nothing by stressing out on it, when you don't even know all the facts yet.


    And to anybody reading this. I hope you all have health insurance. I'm of the belief that whether you're doing gear for cycling or for TRT, you need to have insurance. Medical bills are outrageous and if something happens, you can easily be bankrupted because of it. Or worse not get the treatment you need, because you can't afford it.

  3. #3
    ml87's Avatar
    ml87 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    363
    Thanks for the input. I am doing this through my PCP. I did have a hard workout two days prior and was still very sore so maybe that could be the case. I also did take Tylenol PM the night before but its very rare that I ever take anything like that. I fasted for more than 12hrs since my appointment was in the early afternoon. I had black coffee that morning but they said I was allowed. I'll wait til the followup to see what his opinion is. My father had Hep C from the Navy so I am on edge being that I saw what hell that can bring. I'm sure its not that but you get the point.
    Family_guy likes this.

  4. #4
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    10,141
    Did he order a retest? If he does, try to make sure you give the test the best possible conditions for a good result. That way if it confirms the original test, some possible variables will be eliminated. I believe 3x the normal limit is considered "mildly high." So don't get too frightened.

    But yeah, I wouldn't worry about hep C, unless you're doing things that can get you it.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 01-23-2023 at 09:17 PM.

  5. #5
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    4,213
    Your test total should be the only number you’re concerned with. Elevated ALT/AST isn’t that worrisome and there a million threads on that lab value alone. If they’re truly worried, they’ll order a hep c test and ultrasound your liver. I wouldn’t sweat it. My numbers are way higher and gym sessions will make my labs fluctuate pretty wildly most notably my liver and kidney values)
    . Carry a lot of muscle mass? That’s can swing it as well.T3 and PSA aren’t far out of range at all. Your pcp will let you know if they’re worried.

    I run labs every 3 weeks (post cancer) and nothing I see here (from my experiences) is concerning, for what it’s worth. Except for that 295…yikes

    Edit…CONGRATS on the baby!!
    wellshii, Honkey_Kong, Cuz and 1 others like this.

  6. #6
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    AKA "Nice Guy Cy"
    Posts
    1,941
    Blog Entries
    1
    You do want to see a higher number on free psa %, but you really need psa with it to cross reference. This could be something as simple as a bout of prostatitis, antibiotics normally knocks it out for me pretty quick.

  7. #7
    ml87's Avatar
    ml87 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Did he order a retest? If he does, try to make sure you give the test the best possible conditions for a good result. That way if it confirms the original test, some possible variables will be eliminated. I believe 3x the normal limit is considered "mildly high." So don't get too frightened.

    But yeah, I wouldn't worry about hep C, unless you're doing things that can get you it.
    I didn't follow up yet, that's tomorrow so he might do it then. Im used to certain values being out of range as far as liver function and whatnot, but prostate and thyroid stuff is new to me and freaks me out. I've never had that until I introduced gh. Thanks and hopefully its not anything

  8. #8
    ml87's Avatar
    ml87 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Your test total should be the only number you’re concerned with. Elevated ALT/AST isn’t that worrisome and there a million threads on that lab value alone. If they’re truly worried, they’ll order a hep c test and ultrasound your liver. I wouldn’t sweat it. My numbers are way higher and gym sessions will make my labs fluctuate pretty wildly most notably my liver and kidney values)
    . Carry a lot of muscle mass? That’s can swing it as well.T3 and PSA aren’t far out of range at all. Your pcp will let you know if they’re worried.

    I run labs every 3 weeks (post cancer) and nothing I see here (from my experiences) is concerning, for what it’s worth. Except for that 295…yikes

    Edit…CONGRATS on the baby!!
    Thanks man. I'll follow up tomorrow at the appointment and see what he wants to do. And yeah, the 295 is actually pretty high for me compared to other times I've been off for various reasons. Thank god for having a healthy baby because last year sucked being that low lol.

  9. #9
    Family_guy's Avatar
    Family_guy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,764
    Quote Originally Posted by ml87 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I am doing this through my PCP. I did have a hard workout two days prior and was still very sore so maybe that could be the case. I also did take Tylenol PM the night before but its very rare that I ever take anything like that. I fasted for more than 12hrs since my appointment was in the early afternoon. I had black coffee that morning but they said I was allowed. I'll wait til the followup to see what his opinion is. My father had Hep C from the Navy so I am on edge being that I saw what hell that can bring. I'm sure its not that but you get the point.
    Lmao my dad also got Hep C while in the navy. Well Hep C plus every other STD known to mankind in the 70s

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •