• 1 Post By Cuz
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Lemonada8
  • 1 Post By JTP$
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone

Thread: Go through TRT clinic or endocrinologist

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member

Go through TRT clinic or endocrinologist

I know this all depends on the practitioner at the end of the day and many things to consider. I called my insurance provider to find an endo that deals with hormonal issues and the earliest appointment I can find is the end of January.

I’m trying to figure out if I should go through a TRT clinic or endo. Endo seems like it would be better considering I have high blood pressure, possible hemochromatosis. This would help with coordinating blood donations/letting and keeping track of important blood parameters.

TRT clinics were all expensive as hell 5 years ago, and didn’t seem very professional.

I really don’t want to wait until the end of January to have my first appointment and who knows what that doctor will say or if he’ll be one of those who think 292 total test is normal even though my free test is low.

I can load up a shot right now, I have the stuff, but I kind of don’t want to mess anything up before I go in, since they’ll likely have me run more blood work. ESP if they call me in early since I’m on the waiting list for cancellations.

I got a wedding in a month and a half to go to and that makes me want to jump on something now. There is a lot floating through my mind, it’s hard to figure out the best option. Any ideas?

teedoff is offline Member
    I can only speak to my recent experience with a local trt clinic I''ve dealt with and the endo I saw a year and a half ago.

My trt clinic is great to work with and going to him gives me some leeway on dosage and other things. For example, i was on the gel prescribed by my pcp about 4 years ago. Trt clinic switched me to injections with a dosage of 200mg per week. Way more that I needed and taking now. I'm 100mg week now, but he was cool and left my dosage higher. Its now 150/week as we did drop it at some point.

He's also not expensive at all, but does have monthly subscription packages, which I don't use. He let's me source my own test as well. Or anything else he might recommend me taking. If I have him do labs, it's a flat rate depending on which panels he pulls. Basic test and all is 50 bucks.

As for the endo I went to. At least the one I visited seemed reluctant in doing or prescribing anything out of the norm for hormone replacement. I asked him about clomid therapy as an alternative for test. He frowned upon that, perhaps with good reason. But still, gave me the feeling I didn't want to deal with them for hrt.
    Last edited by teedoff; 08-26-2023 at 06:44 PM.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    I know this all depends on the practitioner at the end of the day and many things to consider. I called my insurance provider to find an endo that deals with hormonal issues and the earliest appointment I can find is the end of January.

I’m trying to figure out if I should go through a TRT clinic or endo. Endo seems like it would be better considering I have high blood pressure, possible hemochromatosis. This would help with coordinating blood donations/letting and keeping track of important blood parameters.

TRT clinics were all expensive as hell 5 years ago, and didn’t seem very professional.

I really don’t want to wait until the end of January to have my first appointment and who knows what that doctor will say or if he’ll be one of those who think 292 total test is normal even though my free test is low.

I can load up a shot right now, I have the stuff, but I kind of don’t want to mess anything up before I go in, since they’ll likely have me run more blood work. ESP if they call me in early since I’m on the waiting list for cancellations.

I got a wedding in a month and a half to go to and that makes me want to jump on something now. There is a lot floating through my mind, it’s hard to figure out the best option. Any ideas?
    Shoot...that's a hard call to make. I go through my primary care Dr. and like talking to a face instead of a voice on the phone. Clinics are handy, but on the other hand, it's nice to have local access/assistance.

Edit: Regarding the wedding, I know what I would do, but at times, I'm a classic example of what not to do.
    Last edited by almostgone; 08-23-2023 at 04:51 PM.
    Test Monsterone and Cylon357 like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

TM, if you ask I'll tell you, but I'm not posting it otherwise. It's been a very weird day. I got carded for ID at the red dot, and at the grocery, the cashier asked me if I qualified for the senior discount.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    TM, if you ask I'll tell you, but I'm not posting it otherwise. It's been a very weird day. I got carded for ID at the red dot, and at the grocery, the cashier asked me if I qualified for the senior discount.
    Tell. Is the red dot Target? I'm at the age where people don't know if they should call me "man" or "sir." If I've had a few long nights in a row I'm usually sir.
    almostgone likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member

If you’re dealing with endo or any decent medical professional, they’re not/shouldn’t going to prescribe you anything that “could possibly” make your other issues worse.

Find out the causes of the issues first, then if the test won’t exacerbate them worse, get it from a UGL. If you really want the other issues handled and if the test contributes to them, and you still want the test, that’s a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    If you’re dealing with endo or any decent medical professional, they’re not/shouldn’t going to prescribe you anything that “could possibly” make your other issues worse.

Find out the causes of the issues first, then if the test won’t exacerbate them worse, get it from a UGL. If you really want the other issues handled and if the test contributes to them, and you still want the test, that’s a different issue.
    I did 4 years of UGL for my TRT and for cycles, so I kinda want to go with at least a compounding pharmacy for peace of mind. I don't want to be injecting heavy metals and who knows what - plus if my insurance covers it, that would be great. Not sure insurance companies work with clinics. But yeah, you're reasoning is sound and reasonable. I hope I don't have to explain to this doctor what IGF is lol.

Tell. Is the red dot Target? I'm at the age where people don't know if they should call me "man" or "sir." If I've had a few long nights in a row I'm usually sir.
    LOL the red dot is slang for the liquor store (I occasionally have a small shot of whiskey at bedtime).

I got carded to make sure I'm of age at the liquor store and the grocery must think I look old enough for the senior discount (I'm not too far away from qualifying). It's all very confusing

If I was in your shoes and felt I wanted to run a little something, I would pin probably opt to pin 25-50 mg of test prop EOD up to the wedding. If you don't have prop, then I would pin ~ 50-60 mg of cyp twice per week.

4-5 weeks post wedding, I would pull self ordered labs. You'll be surprised vat how quickly your levels drop, particularly if you're a fast metabolizer.

Also, if you suspect you have hemochromatosis, go ahead and get tested. That way you'll know if you need to keep a closer eye on your iron levels.

Also, there's been some confusion, but I think the Red Cross no longer defers donors with hereditary hemochromatosis.

I know they let people certain genetic disorders to donate...Leiden Factor V, etc.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/local-...is-donors.html

https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...a-8235c5036a9d
    Last edited by almostgone; 08-23-2023 at 07:04 PM.

Keep us posted on whatever you do and your results if/when you get tested. There are bound to be others that will find the information useful.

I did 4 years of UGL for my TRT and for cycles, so I kinda want to go with at least a compounding pharmacy for peace of mind. I don't want to be injecting heavy metals and who knows what - plus if my insurance covers it, that would be great. Not sure insurance companies work with clinics. But yeah, you're reasoning is sound and reasonable. I hope I don't have to explain to this doctor what IGF is lol.
    Re: in bold above. If you do, that's strike one, IMHO.

One other quick thought and then I'll let it lay.

If you have to go through a clinic and it doesn't take insurance, see if your employer/insurance has the option of you opening up a HSA account. Most Dr. ordered scripts, supplies, tests, etc. are HSA eligible. At least that way it's pretax $$ which will save you some money.

If it's not offered via your employer, most banks and credit unions offer health spending accounts. You would need to check with your HR/ payroll people to make sure it gets setup properly so it's taken out pre-tax. It would at least give you ~ 30% more mileage from that portion of your earnings......just a random thought.
    Test Monsterone and Cylon357 like this.

Also, if you suspect you have hemochromatosis, go ahead and get tested. That way you'll know if you need to keep a closer eye on your iron levels.

Also, there's been some confusion, but I think the Red Cross no longer defers donors with hereditary hemochromatosis.

I know they let people certain genetic disorders to donate...Leiden Factor V, etc.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/local-...is-donors.html

https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...a-8235c5036a9d
    I just figure I have it cause my iron runs high, even now off of everything. Ferritin is within range, but they say it usually doesn't go high unless the iron has been high a really long time. Plus my mother has the gene for it. I'd been donating with the red cross the whole time I was on gear. They never tested it, so I don't know.

LOL the red dot is slang for the liquor store (I occasionally have a small shot of whiskey at bedtime).

I got carded to make sure I'm of age at the liquor store and the grocery must think I look old enough for the senior discount (I'm not too far away from qualifying). It's all very confusing

If I was in your shoes and felt I wanted to run a little something, I would pin probably opt to pin 25-50 mg of test prop EOD up to the wedding. If you don't have prop, then I would pin ~ 50-60 mg of cyp twice per week.

4-5 weeks post wedding, I would pull self ordered labs. You'll be surprised vat how quickly your levels drop, particularly if you're a fast metabolizer.
    lmao, I knew it was something about alcohol. I figured maybe you buy your alcohol from Target lol. Different states, different laws, etc. Yeah, if I had some prop, I think that's what I would do. I really enjoyed prop the only time I ran it, don't know why I didn't get more for the stash. Pretty much just working with Test E/C, deca , DHB, EQ, some other stuff. All long esters. I probably wouldn't even feel them in time for the wedding.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    what the hell kind of insurance do you have that you can't get appt till end of January?

hit me up if you need help there, no way you need to wait like that

I would not use the clinic, my primary writes my stuff. You can see primary to get things moving as long as they are comfy with it.
    almostgone likes this.

lmao, I knew it was something about alcohol. I figured maybe you buy your alcohol from Target lol. Different states, different laws, etc. Yeah, if I had some prop, I think that's what I would do. I really enjoyed prop the only time I ran it, don't know why I didn't get more for the stash. Pretty much just working with Test E/C, deca, DHB, EQ, some other stuff. All long esters. I probably wouldn't even feel them in time for the wedding.
    You would be surprised at how quickly blood levels climb from one injection of cyp. Now, you have to inject E3D (preferably) to continue to build and maintain those levels, but a single injection can push up levels very quickly.

I'm not trying to encourage you to go that route, I'm just pointing out the information.

I like prop as well. I tend to have "rich blood" and find it necessary to keep an eye on my HGB, HCT, MCV, etc.

I just figure I have it cause my iron runs high, even now off of everything. Ferritin is within range, but they say it usually doesn't go high unless the iron has been high a really long time. Plus my mother has the gene for it. I'd been donating with the red cross the whole time I was on gear. They never tested it, so I don't know.
    It's not something they typically sample for. It's like the Leiden Factor V disorder I have. Never found out about until I started throwing clots, but the Red Cross still accepts my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    what the hell kind of insurance do you have that you can't get appt till end of January?

I would not use the clinic, my primary writes my stuff. You can see primary to get things moving as long as they are comfy with it.
    Moose.....it's members like you that make this forum rock. Much respect, man!

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    My visit with the endocrinologist was horrible. I had been having e2 issues and just wanted an AI at the time i was like 31 yo…his advice was “ well if you’re having high estrogen sides, just dont do trt” …”just stop the testosterone
    Absolutely biggest waste of time
    Ever, id rank
    1 hrt specialist
    2 urologist
    3 anything but an endo

I don't have a primary care dr, never have. I just go to specialists if I need to. My insurance is good, it's the most widely covered in my state. There are around 60 endocrinologists in my area/network and none of them have appointments available until January.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    My visit with the endocrinologist was horrible. I had been having e2 issues and just wanted an AI at the time i was like 31 yo…his advice was “ well if you’re having high estrogen sides, just dont do trt” …”just stop the testosterone
    Ever, id rank
    1 hrt specialist
    2 urologist
    3 anything but an endo
    Yeah, that's the type of dr I'm afraid of running into. I hope I'm not wasting my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Ever, id rank
    1 hrt specialist
    2 urologist
    3 anything but an endo
    Exactly why I like my trt clinic. I basically had the same epxerience only mine was my pcp. She told me the same thing with my gyno. I had two choices, surgery or stop trt. And she's the one that initially put me on the gel! I asked her about taking an ai, thats when she said go off it.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    you do not need a specialist. truth is that we know pretty much more, the doctors are still learning this, well Most of them anyway. we need them to script and order blood test, we should have it from there.

get a primary that is trt friendly.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    you do not need a specialist. truth is that we know pretty much more, the doctors are still learning this, well Most of them anyway. we need them to script and order blood test, we should have it from there.

get a primary that is trt friendly.
    I forgot to mention my primary would be my second choice he is trt friendly not as quite as much when I started vs years passed but nowadays he will wirte me 200mg without batting an eye I totally forgot about a good primary i still would keep my specialist as number 1 but yeah i always have my primary that will fall back on some do and some wont you just have to find one

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Oh I hear you about getting pharmacy grade Testosterone , particularly when it’s covered by insurance .

Yup, a decent medical plan should refer you to the appropriate specialist & in this case it’s the endo. However at your age & with your physique (from the recent pics on your thread), it’s going to be a hard sell. And having a decent health practitioner prescribing an AI, because the testosterone intake is causing it, ain’t going to happen, nor should it.

The TRT docs (though some are decent folks I’m guessing) are whores for the $, but where’s there’s $ to be made and particularly a boom for the pharmaceutical companies, a blind eye is turned.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    TLDR: i read the first few posts, then i responded. sorry if i beat a dead horse somewhere above :-D

Ok... I think im pretty qualified to answer this...

It will honestly depend on what you are wanting to gain, and where you are currently.
    If you have legit low testosterone , verified by blood work; then its possible an endocrinologist will prescribe testosterone for you. However it will be at much lower dosing and total Testosterone levels will be at "goal" at a lower level. That being said, that will typically be covered by any commercial insurance. However, if there are any side effects, the endocrinologist will be much more qualified and educated to handle any issues. That is a benefit of going through an endocrinologist.
    A TRT clinic is a cash generating clinic. Most of them have a mid-level (NP, PA) do all the work. They also have deals with a compounding pharmacy that they can provide in their clinic. Some of the techniques are questionable (sub q test 3x week) but they end up with higher test levels. It is cash only however, average $250 month (at least around here) and you get the testosterone from the compounding pharmacy. A major (IMO) drawback is that they likely dont know anything about how to maintain testicular fortitude during the usage of their high dosage testosterone, nor how to run a PCT to regain/restart testicular function.

So it honestly depends on what you are looking to gain. Do you truly have testosterone dysfunction and want that to be medically treated? Likely be life long, but covered by insurance.

Or do you want essentially a low level 'juicing' at a local clinic? Yet they typically dont have the knowledge on how to cycle hormones and maintain natural function.

JTP$ is offline Associate Member

ive heard that endocrinologists arent always supportive of the idea of prescribing TRT. They may tell you that you dont need it and wont prescribe it.

TRT clinic on the other hand is pretty much guaranteed they'l give you a prescription.

Thanks for all the responses. I probably need to find a primary care regardless of trt. Last time I tried I ended up seeing a PA, not the actual doctor, and she didn't seem knowledgeable in regards to hormones. Now it kind of sucks having to wait half a year to see if the doctor is even good. I just can't fathom paying $250/month for a sham TRT clinic that gives 2 fcks about my actual health when a bottle of test is $35. If I could find one that charges at most $100, then I might consider it. I think a good endo would be good to have, and I'd accept getting legitimate trt doses if the care and knowledge is solid, vs a trt clinic that hands out 200 mg/week to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Oh I hear you about getting pharmacy grade Testosterone , particularly when it’s covered by insurance .

Yup, a decent medical plan should refer you to the appropriate specialist & in this case it’s the endo. However at your age & with your physique (from the recent pics on your thread), it’s going to be a hard sell. And having a decent health practitioner prescribing an AI, because the testosterone intake is causing it, ain’t going to happen, nor should it.

The TRT docs (though some are decent folks I’m guessing) are whores for the $, but where’s there’s $ to be made and particularly a boom for the pharmaceutical companies, a blind eye is turned.

I figure a doctor is going to look at numbers and symptoms to decide if I need to be on trt. And yeah, it kinda irks me knowing these TRT clinics exist as glorified steroid dealers. But you know, if there is demand... people can do what they want, I guess. At least they're somewhat regulated.
    wango likes this.

Thanks for all the responses. I probably need to find a primary care regardless of trt. Last time I tried I ended up seeing a PA, not the actual doctor, and she didn't seem knowledgeable in regards to hormones. Now it kind of sucks having to wait half a year to see if the doctor is even good. I just can't fathom paying $250/month for a sham TRT clinic that gives 2 fcks about my actual health when a bottle of test is $35. If I could find one that charges at most $100, then I might consider it. I think a good endo would be good to have, and I'd accept getting legitimate trt doses if the care and knowledge is solid, vs a trt clinic that hands out 200 mg/week to everyone.
    Try my trt clinic man. I don't pay anything other than if I want them to draw my labs. I just call or text them for my refills. I've gone a couple times and talked to them about other things like hgh or some peptides and just pay an office visit fee which I think was 50 or maybe 75 bucks at most.

They do virtual appts as well. I'm not sure how their virtual treatment works l, but it's worth a try and nothing lost if they can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by teedoff View Post
    Try my trt clinic man. I don't pay anything other than if I want them to draw my labs. I just call or text them for my refills. I've gone a couple times and talked to them about other things like hgh or some peptides and just pay an office visit fee which I think was 50 or maybe 75 bucks at most.

They do virtual appts as well. I'm not sure how their virtual treatment works l, but it's worth a try and nothing lost if they can't help you.
    Sure, send me their info. What state are they in?

Thread Information