Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    napoleon is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    maybe i should have red the posts before i did.. well said!

Pretty much... Zimmy

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Damn this thread is old.

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    I love the title "weird pussy behavior". I think the choice not to fight is not necessarily pussy behavior. That's just an interpretation. It's a reaction just as fighting can be a reaction. You've heard of the phrase, "fight or flight." When the limbic system of the brain is activated and you're feeling some kind of emotional response, it's your biological program to self-presevere. Flight (or as you call it, "pussy behavior") is one way to survive. Fighting is another. Given the chance to think, however, let's face it, creative problem solving towards a peaceful resolution is more noble. Gandhi and Martin Luther King understood this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat
    i have a weird question, maybe someone can relate..
    everytime I get confronted by some guy wanting to fight (and im not ready for it, like for example a bum out of nowhere walks up to you, high and starts cursing at you or hitting on your car OR someone tries to rob you) i pussy out and...yes, i actually get scared.. and im a over 200 pound guy, 6 ft, and im convinced i could take some of the guys out that ask for it, BUT i kinda dont react at ALL when it counts, then when its over i just want to find him and kill him.. ANYWAY does anyone have any suggestions on how to not pussy out when something goes down, its kinda embaressing (sp)
    how to build up the confidence if you will..

thanks

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    I've seen some weird pussy behavior but it's too graphic and personal to talk about it. Suffice it to say, it can lead to trauma and much soul searching.

boxingbean is offline Senior Member
    i have a weird pussy behavior..i cant stop misbehaving when it comes to pussy....

TwoCoins is offline New Member
    Fear can be a good thing, you just need to have confidence...remember fear triggers adrenaline and we all heard stories of how powerful that is.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    I've done alot of realistic scenerio training, i took the "defendo" program for 3 years, their website says alot, but it was basicaly RST w/ jujitsu/kickboxing (the idea, is that fighting is fighting)

Mindset is 80% of the program,
    to break it down "fight & flight" control fear, respond effectively w/o emotion

"Never quit!!" mindset, unlike the jujitsu athletic mindset, there is no tapping out, you'll fight with a broken arm, broken fingers, whatever, you stop fighting when you die. The way they'll train you to think like this, is through intense cardio/anerobic training (probably via cardio kb)

Naturally sizing up people in an area, always scanning for "enemies" and being aware of blind spots. Keeping in mind, that situation is often the huge factor in winning fights (i.e. wpns you have, wpns they have, number of combatants you have, combatants they have, visibility, health of yourself, health of opponent [is he drunk? on drugs?] etc. etc.)

SquashNUTZ is offline Banned
    I think that your problem is not enough pre-bouts. ON the other hand, fighting in public is not always a good thing to do, and it could be a wise choice not just being a pussy. But next time you find yourself in a situation that you wanna fight, or feel you should. Dont think to much. Just blast the son of a bitch. After the first time you do this it will be much easier to handle the nervousness of smokin a mutha *ucker.

kobiack is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KrooC
    what i do with any fight is let them think your scared look scared get ur eyes all big like a puppy dog and start taking steps backwards... they will advance thinkin you dont want to fight.. let them get real close then throw all your weight into one swing... always worked for me

i tried that once... i slipped, missed him completely and fell down on my hands and knees. he was so surprised he didn't do anything... just stood there.
    it was completely humiliating.
    i don't recommend that. besides, what does fighting accomplish? unless it's about survival then it really doesn'[t matter.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    As stated by some of the other members, not wanting to fight is not a bad thing.... Wanting it or provoking it should be the reaction that is considerred undesirable.

If you feel that this "backing down" is a big problem and you do want to be able to take it to the next level, get yourself a punching bag and teach yourself (actually program yourself) to hit with intention and in succession (mutiple hits 3 or 4 that you practice and repeat until its 2nd nature). This way, your body throws the blows instinctively rather than throwing a hail mary and hoping it conects and if it does, stop and see if it does anything and end up getting hit back while staring like an idiot.

If you think it is going to be inevitable that you will have to ingage your opponent, look at it this way... 50/50 chance your going to lose, it actually favors the attacker cause they are already in the mindset to fight and you are offgaurd... you can let him/her beat you senseless with no retaliation and take the full blunt of their anger or at least try and damage them so either you win or stop them from attacking.

I would say that in at least half the situations that arise, it is usually someone trying to "act cool" in front of friends or just taking out frustration verbally. If you do accept the challenge, they do back down when they realise you wont.

Walking away is still the best solution, you cant get a black eye, broken teeth or other such painful experiences if it never happens. Ego's heal quicker too.

handler is offline Junior Member
    i was at a party the other week when one guy try'd starting with me , instently i was ready and willing when 5 of his friend ended up behind him ready aswell ,,, these days unfortunetly its no longer one on one , atleast not what i have experianced

Also a good point, everyone is much tougher with backup.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power
    Walking away is still the best solution, you cant get a black eye, broken teeth or other such painful experiences if it never happens. Ego's heal quicker too.
    Right on! I'm a Yoshinkan Aikido licensed instructor. I got my certificate after passing the year-long Tokyo Riot Police/International Instructor course. I've been training in aikido and kali for over 15 years with 4 years of military experience. Been in plenty of fights and had my ass handed to me a couple of times. Unless it's a true life or death situation, or a situation where violence is absolutely necessary to protect another person's life, then your best bet is to walk away. Even better, try to avoid those types of situations completely. A bruised ego ain't worth taking a beating or worse (like taking a knife to the gut).

If you're really intent on boosting your confidence, I agree with the posts advocating sparring. But don't start training and go looking for trouble, ok? Learning a martial art isn't just about learning to fight, it's about learning control and self-discipline. Once you discover these things, you'll see how pointless fighting is. Good luck to you regardless!!

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    First off, thanks for the honest post. Many of us feel a sense of nervousness before a fight. The feeling you get will always be there when confronted by someone. Also, if you dont know the person, you should be scared. Honestly, people today have knives and guns and because your a big guy, if someone is confronting you they may have both in their back pocket. I think we all have experienced a situation where we want to go back in time and kill someone(or at least beat the shi!t out of them.) But keep in mind, the jails are full of guys who went back instead of staying away.

I think we want to go back because we feel our reputations were hurt. No offense, but when comparing it to your freedom, screw it! Who cares what some punk says or does, they are still the punk wether you beat them up or not. Also, the law usually does not care about right and wrong in most fights. Usually both parties are in the wrong and usually the guy who is less bloody goes to jail. So even if you win you lose.

My freind was in a bar and a naked woman ran inside screaming for help. (This is a true story) Shortly after, a man ran in and started pulling her back out of the bar. As it turned out the guy had kidnapped the girl and was holding her hostage in his apartment and repeatedly raping her. She escaped and made it to the bar where my friend got into a terrible fight with the kidnapper. It became so violent that my friend killed the man.

As it turns out, the man was only a kidnapper and rapist. Because he had her for several days without killing her the lawyers were able to prove, the psycho was not a murderer. Because my friend killed him, he ended up spending several years in prison for his actions. My point is, sometimes being the guy who can win the fight, may lose the battle.

I am a black belt in Kenpo Karate. I am not affraid to fight. But, if you get to a point where you are also not afraid to fight too, you must remember to continue to be afraid of the consequenses of fighting. They are much more painful than a damaged ego or a fat lip. Jails are full of guys who are not afraid to fight.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Quote Originally Posted by Oki-Des
    Jails are full of guys who are not afraid to fight.
    Word!!

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    Ok to be honest, most street fights the smart thing to do is just walk away. But if you feel threatened then you have to react. I personally will always swing first if I feel threatened, because in a street fight the first punch usually ends it.

[QUOTE=CSAR]Right on! I'm a Yoshinkan Aikido licensed instructor. I got my certificate after passing the year-long Tokyo Riot Police/International Instructor course. I've been training in aikido and kali for over 15 years with 4 years of military experience.QUOTE]

...thats crazy. When Im in Tokyo, I can hardly stand the amount of people constantly around me so I usually split my trips in Nagoya, Osaka etc. Cant imagine what it would be like if all those people were pissed off.

I would like very much to study Aikido, but no one in my area teaches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information