biggen is offline Associate Member

1st comp 1 week out please help

well i have been chosen to fight in a combatives competition on the 14 of this month. i had no idea luckily i have been dieting a little but i have to lose about 10 lbs to get down to 185 in one week!!! i have a few liters of saline and lactaded ringers to give myself the niight after weigh ins to re-hydrate. what kind of diet shopuld i be hitting up??? anything in particular i should take. i dont want to be to drained the days of the tournament. thanks

orton4 is offline Member
    10lbs in a week should be cake.... i know many including myself could do it in one day... the day before.... i think its to late for you to diet down, i would cut the water weight two days before so you arent drained the whole week... im a former D1 wrestler so i know what its like... just try not to skipp many meals work out like crazy and to burn it all off... just gotta tuff it out

so i just need to continue to eat healthy, but short myself on water?? of course i will still need to drink some right? so two days before sweat it out should i use any diuretics. thanks alot bro

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orton4
    10lbs in a week should be cake.... i know many including myself could do it in one day... the day before.... i think its to late for you to diet down, i would cut the water weight two days before so you arent drained the whole week... im a former D1 wrestler so i know what its like... just try not to skipp many meals work out like crazy and to burn it all off... just gotta tuff it out
    When you cut weight for wrestling you would weigh in a little bit before actually competing right? So i guess you are usually drained while you compete , energy-wise?

If the weigh in is the day before like in MMA and you have more than 24 hours to recover what do u recomend a person eats starting after the weight in right up to the fight in order to regain as much energy as possible?

orton4 is offline Member
    yeah in most cases you weigh in 1hr before competitions, in college in
    highschool there is usually more time... when i was in college i was cuttin a real lot so i couldnt just pull all the weight the day before so i was on a serious diet for months... but in this case only a week before and cutting 10lbs in a week shouldnt be that hard just gotta tuff it out and get down to it... as for what to eat before a comp... and having 24hrs... id say number one thing in my book is gonna be FLUIDS!!! yeah your gonna hafta eat and your not gonna wanna eat real complex hard things to digest.. turkey is good... get your proteins back up... also have some fruits like bananas so you get potassium back in you so ur not cramping... after i would weigh in i would have water and gatorade.... turkey sandwhich and protein bars.... but with 24 hrs you s hould be able to gain all energy back fine IMHO... in highschool when we had weighouts.... where you would weigh out that nnight for the next day i could easily gain 10-12lbs before my final the next day....

but the most important thing is gettin the FLUIDS back in you. when your cuttin 10lbs in short amount of time the weight you are loosing is water so get that back right away

orton4 is offline Member
    biggen.... i would not recommend diurectics... i never used them in wrestling case being.. when you are taking them in and you arent eating much or drinking much the day before i think the compound still stays in your body so now after you weigh in and make the weight its still in you... and it will kick in now when you dont need it.. it will drain all the stuff out of you.... get on that old rubber suit and work out that water.. you can do it

thanks alot bros. i really appreciate the info. if i place i will end up going to a national combatives competiton for the US army. luckily for the next week i will be training with the coach that is in charge of the team going to the national comp. same coach as last year and the team placed 2nd out of the entire army. well thanks again for the input and wish me luck

orton4 is offline Member
    good luck bro... ive done my share of MMA when i was younger competed in a grappling association called NAGA... North American Grappling Assoc. i did well won my season... i was a very good wrestler so i did well in grappling never actually did MMA sorta speak with striking though when i was in it i was too young at the time and when i was underscholarship at college it was illegal to compete like that for other orgs. and for money.... i guess i just never really got back into but good luck train hard... and as i would do GROUND N POUND

thanks alot thats to bad that you juyst kind of let it go but maybe it is for the better. i used to wrestle and did pretty good, but that was a while ago. i think i will definitley have a strength advantage, so i reallyh hope all goes well. thanks bros and i will keep you updated

Thread Information