Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Post Fight BJ Penn Interview

Back in Hawaii - BJ Talks About Yesterday's Title Fight.
    Posted by BJPenn.com Staff Writer

After just arriving back in Hawaii, BJ talks about the outcome of his tough UFC 63 title fight against Matt Hughes which took place yesterday evening at Arrowhead Pond in Anahiem CA.

Interviewer:
    So BJ how are you doing?

BJ:
    I just got back to Hawaii. I'm resting up, I have some injuries. Other than that I'm okay.

Interviewer:
    So you just fought Matt Hughes. Could you walk us through the first round?

BJ:
    I felt good, I was happy that I was defending Matt's takedowns. I could see that Matt improved his standup. I wish I tried some takedowns, but other than that I was happy with it.

Interviewer:
    You say he improved his standup. How?

BJ:
    He was dodging my punches well, and he had a good jab.

Interviewer:
    What did you think of his takedowns?

BJ:
    His takedowns were good and strong, exactly what I expected.

Interviewer:
    Take us through the second round.

BJ:
    I felt great going in, Matt started trying to take me down from my right leg, it's something I expected he might do. He got me down against the fence, but I was thinking about this position alot and I was ready. When he went for a big elbow, he missed and I capitalized and started going for his back. At this moment, when I was making the turn towards his back, I felt my ribs seperate on my right side. Although I didn't know the severity of the situation. I was thinking I have to finish him now because I knew something was wrong. Matt defended himself well and got through the round. When I got up to walk to my corner, I knew something was wrong, but I didn't want to talk about it with my corner. I wanted to be the champ. I wanted to keep fighting.

Interviewer:
    What about round 3?

BJ:
    I remember standing up out of the corner in pain. But I was thinking, "Earn your title this is what you have to do to get your belt back, fight through the pain". I knew the oppurtunity I had with getting this fight, especially after losing my last fight. I wasn't going to quit on the corner. I kept going because I honestly believed it was destiny. When me and Matt were boxing I felt like I couldn't breathe and had no mobility in my core. But I kept thinking something good is going to happen. When Matt started dominating the stand up I tried for a takedown. I had nothing and pulled to guard. I felt like I couldn't do anything on the ground. But I was still positive. Matt hit me in the ribs from half guard. The pain was so excruciating I had to use my far hand to block it. I would rather Matt pass my guard and punch my face the hit my ribs. When Matt was in his favorite position that he likes. I was still thinking I was going to win somehow. Big John gave me plenty of time. I practiced defending against that position with flexibility, but I had none with my core. Even when Big John stopped the fight, I was still so positive I thought I escaped. Congratulations to Matt, he is a great fighter. It's not his fault that that happened, he fought like the champion he is. He deserved the victory.

Interviewer:
    So how are your ribs doing now?

BJ:
    There just hurting, I couldn't sleep last night, I couldn't lay down, Every time I breathe it expands my ribcage and aggrevates my ribs.

Interviewer:
    How do you think your conditioning was for this fight?

BJ:
    I was training great. I trained 5 to 6 rounds a couple times a week. I was also doing explosive cardio and getting proper rest.

Interviewer:
    Anything to say to your fans?

BJ:
    Thanks for your support. I already got a lot of emails from my fans. Thank you very much.
    Keep checking my site and I'll keep you posted.

Interviewer:
    So what is next for BJ Penn?

BJ:
    I've got to take care of my ribs, so I'm taking 2 months off, and my suspension for the TKO. I talked to Dana and he said to give him a call when I'm ready to fight. It takes a long time to prepare for these fights and I'm very disappointed I got injured like that. I gotta sit down for a couple weeks and clear my head and see where I am in fighting.
    ------------

BJ is just a class act all the way...i heard after the fight from another fighter that BJ had seperated his ribs when coming out from under Hughes and taking his back..BJ gives no excuses and that's rare for alot of fighters. He is definately a prodigy..cannot wait to see him back.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 09-25-2006 at 01:17 AM.
    ***No source checks!!!***

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    man...that sounds much better than some of the prefight hype they had... def a class act...i knew something was up ...for him to go from being totally dominant to that in a couple of seconds ...

twosocks40 is offline Member
    Well that explains it then. I couldn't believe my eyes when his hands were down but now I understand why. He is an exciting fighter to watch. Can't wait to see him back.

Quil is offline Member
    I was shocked to see how his demeanor and stance had changed from round 2 to round 3. He just seemed flat-footed, immobile. I just thought he had gassed.

Flextime333 is offline Junior Member
    Now it makes much more sense. Im a huge fan of both Hughes and Penn and was diguisted at the fact that BJ would come into a title shot out of shape. I too have seperated my ribs in a fight and that shit is painful. Very classy of BJ to give no excuses in the octagon. However not so classy was the way GSP responded to Matt Hughes simply stating that he was geared up for their upcoming fight.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I believe bj sepperated a rib but he also was somewhat gassed imo. Hughes is one of the most dominate fights just that simple matt would have won seperated rib or not.

HAHHHAHAHAH... would have won eh? With those 2 impressive rounds

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    I have always been respectful with every member even when I disagreed with them and I would appreciate that in return. We may disagree but BJ's cardio was questionable in his last fight with gsp so I believe eventually matt would have worn him down and won on a split decision. We may disagree but no need to be disrespectful. Or to come of as if you know more then me cause I train to and watch different orgs to. I have always respected your posts but matt wins when he has to and penn as of recent as wilted under pressure thats why I believe he would have won

Quil is offline Member
    You're right....Hughes was getting owned until the third round, when Penn looked like a completely different fighter. It was like somebody threw a switch..

Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter
    I have always been respectful with every member even when I disagreed with them and I would appreciate that in return. We may disagree but BJ's cardio was questionable in his last fight with gsp so I believe eventually matt would have worn him down and won on a split decision. We may disagree but no need to be disrespectful. Or to come of as if you know more then me cause I train to and watch different orgs to. I have always respected your posts but matt wins when he has to and penn as of recent as wilted under pressure thats why I believe he would have won

lol...i meant no disrespect... just playful banter...why i threw in the

just my opinion...no one can KNOW for sure... but i'm sure we'll get to see another rematch which i am actually looking foward to.

sorry zimmy just being over sensitive, I am looking forward to a rematch also

Mark Yager is offline Junior Member
    That explains why he looked winded towards the end. Hope he heals up and comes back stronger.

Quil is offline Member
    I'd like to see him take Diego Sanchez apart myself...

Tedbear981 is offline Member
    Agreed 100% that BJ would have won that fight, but seperated rib or not, if you don't bring cardio, you may as well not show up!

Mark Yager is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedbear981
    Agreed 100% that BJ would have won that fight, but seperated rib or not, if you don't bring cardio, you may as well not show up!
    I think he had plenty of cardio, once a rib goes it hard to breath and no amount of cardio is going to fx that. He'll be back.

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    I didn't even watch the fight, but come on ..... "He would've won the fight, but he got injured."

That's like saying, "He would've won the fight if he hadn't gotten knocked out."

It's a game of inflicting damage on your opponent. Hughes did just that.

Now, it might have been a lucky/unlucky break, but it's the nature of the game - if you get hurt so bad that you can't fight, then the fight's over.

The statement by BJ is a good one, except for one thing - that line about it not being Hughes' fault - of course it was Hughes' fault, he was the opponent. I hope he just meant that Matt still deserves respect, but it's hard to tell.

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    Matt still does deserve respect. I dont care what anyone says, Hughes is a great fighter and I think he's gonna keep his belt but if he does lose it......it will be by GSP IMO.

Matt will never get respect you either hate him or love him and most mma fans who follow closely hate him. I on other the hand am a huge hughes fan.

Tedbear981 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Yager
    I think he had plenty of cardio, once a rib goes it hard to breath and no amount of cardio is going to fx that. He'll be back.
    Who knows what really is bothering him, no fighter likes to admit that his cardio sucks, and when you are winning a title fight its even worse, I'm not calling BJ a Liar, far from it, I am huge fan of his, but who really knows. Another side point did you see his knee in the first round!!!!!! He is the most flexable mofo I have ever seen, I was wincing when I saw his knee bent at that angle and he was just chillin.

Quote Originally Posted by RMBros
    I didn't even watch the fight, but come on ..... "He would've won the fight, but he got injured."

That's like saying, "He would've won the fight if he hadn't gotten knocked out."

It's a game of inflicting damage on your opponent. Hughes did just that.

Now, it might have been a lucky/unlucky break, but it's the nature of the game - if you get hurt so bad that you can't fight, then the fight's over.

The statement by BJ is a good one, except for one thing - that line about it not being Hughes' fault - of course it was Hughes' fault, he was the opponent. I hope he just meant that Matt still deserves respect, but it's hard to tell.

you are right...u obviously didn't see the fight... he didn't hurt his rib from a punch or anything... just randomly happened while he was taking his back.

Thread Information