sonar1234 is offline Banned

MMA and weightloss?

I been reading post here and there that if you want to lose weight you need to keep your heart rate at 120 or something and do low intensity training.

One of my buddies friend lives near Montreal and has been training in muay thai for 4 months now.

The guy was a fat ass when i last seen him around 240 pounds and chubby.

He has been going to 3 muay thai class each week and i cannot beleive the weight he has lost, and he didnt even change is diet, he told me that he did do very small changes but not much.

The guy is now around 190 pounds and very solid.

If that school wasnt to far from me i would surely go has well in September to remove all the fat i added during thoses horrible years of back pain.

Guess that high intensity training is the best way to lose unwanted pounds after all.

He is going to start BJJ next month to add to is Muay thai training, guess he is going to lose another 20 pounds or so.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've lost about 15-20 lbs since I started training, and I love it.

armbar83 is offline Senior Member
    my penis has gotten bigger...

Patches24 is offline Junior Member
    Since April 2 I've been doing boxing drills, no sparring, at a boxing gym, 6 days per week, 75 minutes each time. My bodyweight has gone down by 4 pounds for each week of that. So I started at 200 lbs, and just weighed myself at 188 pounds. I've also been doing about an hour a week of weight training and a small amount of jogging during these past 3 weeks.

Thing is, I doubt that much of that weight reduction is from the boxing. Around March 13 I arrived at the conclusion that my insulin resistance, a problem I've had in the past, had gotten worse, and I drastically revised my diet to make my insulin sensitivity higher. I did a lot of internet research, and pretty much every substance and activity that has ever been believed to raise insulin sensitivity (chromium, ALA, cocoa, flax oil, cinnamon, cloves, cardio etc) I incorporated into my daily routine. My bodyweight went from 222 to 200 pounds from March 13 to April 2, with only slight loss of strength. I was jogging 3-4 miles per day during this time, with no weight training. When you have unusual insulin levels, bodyweight changes in either direction can happen a lot faster than they do for most people.

The need for more intense exercise, to help keep insulin sensitivity higher, was one of the reasons why I finally got around to joining a boxing gym. Very glad I did that.

I believe it's mostly diet, and the effect on my insulin levels that has caused this weight reduction. But the boxing stuff probably helps.

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If your boxing classes are anywhere near as intense as mine, I guarantee they contributed quite a bit to your further weight loss...

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    i lost about 120 lbs

unfortunately... once yoru body gets' acclomated to mma / jiu jitsu training...it won't respond so much and you'll have to work in some thing else

Quil is offline Member
    HIIT is working well for me...I'd say sparring/training is right along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by armbar83
    my penis has gotten bigger...
    Can you actually armbar your penis?

I did the low carb diet, lost a tone of weight but felt really bad afterward.

Insulin sensitivity makes 100% sense but its really hard to follow.

armbar83 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234

no, but i can do a rolling heel hook...

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by armbar83
    no, but i can do a rolling heel hook...
    You guys need some "alone time" ?

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    im a bit out of my element posting in here but figured id offer .02cents

from your post sonar I can tell you might not know how exactly the body works and Im not going to go into great detail as this has been discussed and explained in the diet/exercise forum

but its not that one is better than the other

the main reason people recommend keeping your heart rate at a lower rate (.07*220-age) is that is where your body keeps fat as its main fuel source and can help spare muscle mass, It burns fat more efficently but takes a longer time.

your kinda comparing apples to oranges, of course your freind lost a gang of weight that fast, he went from 0-100 mph and his body had no choice no matter what he ate, but you also have to understand most of us are gym rat/bodybuilders and we dont need the level of conditioning mma/boxers need.

so all in all, you have to train for what your sport calls for, if your just a random wanna be bb like me than you can get away with a low intensity cardio prescription.....

like I said my .02 cents im gonna get out of here before someone puts me in a rear naked choke.

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Last September I started boxing and was boxing for about 3-4 months. I stopped after Christmas because i had work and night classes. Boxing club was only open 3 nights a week.

While I was going I felt incredible. I was in amazing shape, My 185lb frame became a much leaner 185lb and I was eating enormous amounts of food but healthy food. It was a very clean diet. I also incorporated weight lifting into my program 3 times a week and i never felt better. My confidence and self-esteem was through the roof and my metabolism was incredibly high.

Without boxing my body just felt like crap. lol. I even suffered at the gym when weight training.

But now im getting back into it and hopefully i can attain the same results as last time.

Quote Originally Posted by MFT81
    im a bit out of my element posting in here but figured id offer .02cents

from your post sonar I can tell you might not know how exactly the body works and Im not going to go into great detail as this has been discussed and explained in the diet/exercise forum

but its not that one is better than the other

the main reason people recommend keeping your heart rate at a lower rate (.07*220-age) is that is where your body keeps fat as its main fuel source and can help spare muscle mass, It burns fat more efficently but takes a longer time.

your kinda comparing apples to oranges, of course your freind lost a gang of weight that fast, he went from 0-100 mph and his body had no choice no matter what he ate, but you also have to understand most of us are gym rat/bodybuilders and we dont need the level of conditioning mma/boxers need.

so all in all, you have to train for what your sport calls for, if your just a random wanna be bb like me than you can get away with a low intensity cardio prescription.....

like I said my .02 cents im gonna get out of here before someone puts me in a rear naked choke.
    I am aware of this advise, thanks for your 2 cents but understand that people who post in this forum here really dont care about muscle mass at least thats what i think.

In MMA or any other martial arts big muscles slow you down, and are not a good idea to have.

Quil is offline Member
    I am aware of this advise, thanks for your 2 cents but understand that people who post in this forum here really dont care about muscle mass at least thats what i think.
    That is a ridiculous statement.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by Quil
    That is a ridiculous statement.
    big difference between functional strength and weight lifting strength. Also yes more muscle mass the more oxygen to run the muscle mass. So in theory a guy with more muscle mass has to do way more cardio to get into the same shape as a guy with less muscle mass (cardio wise). Randlemen, Kerr, Coleman, belfort all very mascular all of them known for gassing.

Quil is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter
    big difference between functional strength and weight lifting strength. Also yes more muscle mass the more oxygen to run the muscle mass. So in theory a guy with more muscle mass has to do way more cardio to get into the same shape as a guy with less muscle mass (cardio wise). Randlemen, Kerr, Coleman, belfort all very mascular all of them known for gassing.
    I do not disagree with that at all. I think it is ridiculous to say that "people who post in this forum here really don't care about muscle mass". On an anabolic steroids message board, no less...

Ho God Please Quil
    Last edited by sonar1234; 04-28-2007 at 01:29 PM.

So right MN_fighter so right, Belfort started losing is fights when he got up to 230 pounds is speed suffered greatly he was too big.

Coleman never impressed me, he fights for 2 minutes and he is gased out.

I guess it all ***ends on what a person goal is, guy that lost a huge amount of weight doing Muay Thai did it cause he was feeling sick all the time, that really changed is life.

Of course there are the people who want to look good and for them losing even a small amount of muscles is impossible.

I feel that has someone gets older he gets wiser and goals change, when you are close to being 40 people realize that keeping there body to a healthy weight is the most important thing.

To avoid all kind of disease, i am not saying this, most doctors do.

What can a 50 year old man care about being 5 feet 10 and weighting in at 230 pounds, how much pressure do is joint suffer from that useless weight, the knees, and all.

Yeah i am 35, i am fat, overweight 225 to be exact and my goal is to reach 185 even if i do lose muscle mass, getting my waist size from 41 to 36 is well worth losing a good amount of fat and muscles all tighter.

THen again some older people still compete in bodybuilding at 60 and look great so.

Dieting has been prove many times to be hazardous to the body.
    Last edited by sonar1234; 04-28-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Quil is offline Member
    Your Quilling me, you are ridiculous and have no know of competition.

The bigger you are the slower you will be, i competed many times in TKD and karate events and the bigger i was the slower i was.

Sure its a bodybuidling forum and you dont want to lose your precious muscle mass but you need to understand that other people who compete and have to get down to a certain weight will lose muscles.

Now can you keep your lame replies to yourself please.
    "Quilling me"...LOL, I have to give you credit for that one. Pretty funny.

Listen, do you want to be 185 pounds at say 18% bodyfat or 185 pounds at under 10% bodyfat, much like Rich Franklin? I'm going with the Rich Franklin look, personally. Go ahead, tell me Rich Franklin gasses. His training regimen is as difficult as it gets. I'm going to go out on a limb and say muscle mass is important to him. And maybe Sean Sherk, too, who you so kindly posted his weightlifting routine on this board.

Maybe I took what you said the wrong way. I'm not sure, it's hard to get through your Frenchie accent sometimes. When I say muscle mass is important to me, it doesn't mean I'm trying to be 260 pounds at 5% bodyfat. To me, it means that if I'm going to compete at 185, then I want that 185 to be as much muscle as possible. If you meant that not everyone who posts in this forum wants to be huge like your WWE idol Batista, then you're exactly right. But don't make such a bold statement as to say muscle mass is not important to people who post here.

And as far as you telling me to keep my lame replies to myself, that's about the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it.

Quil is offline Member
    Belfort started losing is fights when he got up to 230 pounds is speed suffered greatly he was too big.
    Vitor Belfort fights at 205.

Stop it you are Quil (ing me) please

Quil is offline Member
    Sonar, I hope you took no offense to the "Frenchie" comment. I was just pokin a little fun at you...but I can see how that might appear a little out-of-line. I apologize if you took the comment seriously.

Back to the topic though....

Well quil if you know so much how come you didnt know that more muscle mass slows you down.

Has i said you know nothing about competition and weight preparation.

Quil is offline Member
    Well quil if you know so much how come you didnt know that more muscle mass slows you down.

Has i said you know nothing about competition and weight preparation.
    More muscle mass slows me down, hmmm....yeah, I think I disagree with you.

Take this for example. I am 6'1, 200lbs. Say my bodyfat is at 12%. You are telling me that if I were to cut to 8% bodyfat and stay at 200lbs (that would mean I dropped 8lbs of fat and added 8 pounds of MUSCLE MASS), then I would be slower? Sorry man, I just don't agree.

Quil is offline Member
    And come on Sonar, quit going back and editing your posts after you've already written them.

Wink

Well then quil stop replying to my post with your insulting comments and call it quits.

Has a matter a fact George St-Pierre has a show on the fight network where he explains how he trains before a fight.

I met George a few times, last time i met him was before he fought Frank Trigg, George at that time was 190 pounds, to make weight for is fight he has to cut 20 pounds.

On the show he train with weight 2-3 times a week and he does giant sets, he says it its more for stamina and cardio then getting bigger muscles.

Goerge is a pertty hard 190 pounder very wide has well, how much muscles do you think he loses when he cuts down to 170 pounds, a lot.

When i was competing in TKD i had to suffer then same thing, i always loved to eat and be big, but i competed in the 185 pound division when i was younger, between competition i walked around 204-210, i had to cut a lot of weight and suffered a lot of muscle loss before a competition.

Dieting is not fun not fun at all but when you have to make weight you need to do whatever it takes.

How much time do you think i spent in the saune trying to lose the last few pounds YAGGGGG.
    Last edited by sonar1234; 04-29-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Quil is offline Member
    How much muscle do I think he loses to cut to 170? Probably not as much as you think, seeing as most of it comes just before the fight and it's WATER.

Forget it man, it's pointless arguing with you. You don't see my point or what I am trying to say, nor do you want to. So whatever. I'm done wasting my time with you.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    will you 2 quit arguing... Discussion is good... bickering is stupid.

Quil... you said it best "You don't see my point or what I am trying to say, nor do you want to. So whatever. I'm done wasting my time with you."

Discussion isn't about changing some one else's point of view but stating your opinion. If you are attempting to get him to agree with you ... then yes you are wasting your time.

now both of you shaddap before i armbar you both

Quil is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    now both of you shaddap before i armbar you both
    Yes sir

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by Quil
    "Quilling me"...LOL, I have to give you credit for that one. Pretty funny.

Listen, do you want to be 185 pounds at say 18% bodyfat or 185 pounds at under 10% bodyfat, much like Rich Franklin? I'm going with the Rich Franklin look, personally. Go ahead, tell me Rich Franklin gasses. His training regimen is as difficult as it gets. I'm going to go out on a limb and say muscle mass is important to him. And maybe Sean Sherk, too, who you so kindly posted his weightlifting routine on this board.

Maybe I took what you said the wrong way. I'm not sure, it's hard to get through your Frenchie accent sometimes. When I say muscle mass is important to me, it doesn't mean I'm trying to be 260 pounds at 5% bodyfat. To me, it means that if I'm going to compete at 185, then I want that 185 to be as much muscle as possible. If you meant that not everyone who posts in this forum wants to be huge like your WWE idol Batista, then you're exactly right. But don't make such a bold statement as to say muscle mass is not important to people who post here.

And as far as you telling me to keep my lame replies to myself, that's about the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it.
    Rich Franklin has a great physique in my eyes but in a bodybuilders eyes he would be very skinny. I mean at 6'1 at his heaviest probably 215-220 compared to cutler 5'10 like 300 pounds. You are right muscle can make you explosive but you have to train specifically for your sport and not adhere to a body builders regime. Sean 5'6 and 170 at his heaviest is far from massive. Both sean and rich carry muscle mass but not compared to bodybuilder. Maybe sonar meant to see most mma fighters would not want to be as big as a bodybuilder.

Vader79 is offline Junior Member
    Of course "muscle mass" is composed of several types of muscle fibres. MMA training is for endurace and explosive power, BB training is so that you can flex and say "look how big my musscles are". The muscle types developed are qualitatively different.

A 6 foot 200lb frame that has been sclupted through MMA training will be cabable of a completely different type and level of performance when compared to a 6 foot 200lb frame that has been sculpted by slow, low reps of heavy weights, concentrating on form. They may look very similar, but what the two bodies are capable of is radicly different.

More of a certain type of muscle mass will help you to be faster, more explosive etc. But more muscle mass, if added by non-sport specific, BB'er type training will make you slower and will burn too much O2 when the time comes to put it to use. Phil Baroni (BB'er turned MMA fighter) has commented on this issue a number of times.

Quil is offline Member
    Maybe sonar meant to see most mma fighters would not want to be as big as a bodybuilder.
    Right, and in that case I would not disagree whatsoever. He did say that muscle mass is not important to the people who post on this forum, which is what I disagree with. But yes, I would wholeheartedly agree that you would not want to train to be a bodybuilder if you wanted to get into MMA.

My point is that muscle mass is important to MMA fighters in that the composition of their bodies, at a given weight, is better served with more muscle than more fat, hence more muscle mass. Not necessarily a hulking physique like a bodybuilder, but a body composition that is focused on retaining muscle mass at a certain weight class.

Thread Information