Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by test_cyp
    Do you really see this as an MMA fight? I think more would see this bought as a cage fight vs. a true MMA fight. If you really want to get down and dirty about the sport, it all started from "would this style beat that style. "Well I know a tuff guy who is just a scrapper and he dosen't train martial arts, but he could take a black belt from that discipline...(fill in the blank of the discipline).

Mixed Martial Arts....I take the mixed to interpret fighting style. While Kimbo has no direct discipline, you cannot deny he is a fighter and has his own style, so how is he not a MMA fighter. He fights..so he should fight in a forum as this. If he chooses to just stand then so be it. There are many fighters in the UFC and Pride who would rather just stand to win a fight( who are good on the ground, but choose to stand because they can get the win that way). I can tell you this is why the fight is going to take place. Kimbo will not stand in the ring and dance around just to get the W on his record. To better his career..he is going in the ring to hurt someone, to KO someone, and not dance around to let this go to the judges. He is a true fighter, who fights for the love of it. That, something my friend..is what this sport is missing. People who truly love to fight.
    Well said Test Cyp. I agree 100%. I would much rather see Kimbo fight than Tim Sylvia or Andrei Arloski. At least I know there will be some action!!!

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    I think as MMA has evolved, people forget where it started. MMA is a combat sport. Now, if Kimbo steps into the ring and bites Mercer's ear.....now that is a different story. LOL

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31
    Like I said mn_fighter, don't hate Kimbo because he is the product of successful marketing. If you and your training buddies are better, post your fights and if you are completely dominant the way kimbo is in bare knuckles fighting then I am sure someone will look. Look, I played against better players in high school, college, and semi-pro than many of the guys I played with in the Pros (football), but because of circumstances (small college, bad SAT scores, whatever) they never got there shot. And I heard the same hatred of athletes who got their shot. I was victim of this as well. It's not the athletes fault so there is no reason for all the hate.

As far as Kimbo's criminal record is concerned, where is the evidence of that? As a matter of fact, a while back a member of this forum who works in law enforcement in Florida ran a check on Kimbo (his real name is Kevin Ferguson) and found no record for Kevin Ferguson or the alias Kimbo Slice. So maybe that rumor is another marketing ploy. Either way it's successful because he's getting his shot. If he isn't successful then he will be known as the post-child for internet hype. If he destroys Mercer and goes on to destroy a grappler, then he comes as advertised.
    I have always let my fights do the talking for me. I am humble and a good strong character. I dont have to lie about a criminal record to get my shot. We have two guys who have fought in the ufc and I should not be far behind, after I relocate. I love this sport like you love boxing and you dont think the media would love to say hey look at how unproffesional mma is they let bareknuckle street fighters in? Damn right all those people who cut this sport down is getting another thing to point out.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    lol i just read bgmac's post... if him and his buddies are as dominant as kimbo? Take any one of us who train and stick an average joe in front of us and you will see some one get owned completely. Trained will always beat out untrained.

But the point is... he is an unproven fighter with some bs vids on the internet and because of that he skipped past ALOT of steps most humble / hard-working fighters have to go through to get themselves known and sponsered.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    lol i just read bgmac's post... if him and his buddies are as dominant as kimbo? Take any one of us who train and stick an average joe in front of us and you will see some one get owned completely. Trained will always beat out untrained.

But the point is... he is an unproven fighter with some bs vids on the internet and because of that he skipped past ALOT of steps most humble / hard-working fighters have to go through to get themselves known and sponsered.

There in lies the issue, Kimbo isn't an average joe. MMA today is like AAU/Golden Gloves boxing in the 80's and 90's. Tons of guys claimed to be great but never got a shot for some reason on another so they ensisted on hating on fighters who got a shot. I can't count how many amatuer boxers I encountered who claimed could beat Mike Tyson. But after sparring with them, they couldn't beat Mike Jackson!!! LOL!!! I'm not disputing that mn_fighter or Zimmy or anyone else have what it takes to make in professional MMA, but bashing another fighter in order to attempt to boost your own ego is pure haterade IMO. Let's not forget that Fedor's brother was a bare knuckles street brawler and a ex-con and he's made it. The lists goes on and on about what makes a fighter. Kimbo is just taking a different approach to stardom. I still don't understand all the hate. What I'd like to see is some video of the Kimbo haters and their sparring partners. Kimbo may be fighting bums on video, but I'm sure everyone that the Kimbo haters are sparring with aren't world beaters either.

Idunno is offline Banned
    they're not saying (in so many words) that Kimbo is an average joe but that his opponenets are. If Kimbo were showing vids of him fighting actually GOOD fighters then it wouldn't be nearly the show the others seem to be.

Exactly! And it's not that i'm boosting my ego... i know i don't have the skill enough to fight in UFC. Maybe local shows but not that big time... no self delusions there. Think of it this way... imagine you go to school all your life and bust your ass and make straight a's and you go to harvard law... then a school decides to boost there donations by getting a famous person involved with there school and give some dip shit like Judge judy an honorary doctarate JUST BECAUSE SHE'S FAMOUS? Imagine how shitty you feel after working all that hard to see some chump just get a gift like that and then show a complete lack of solid law on their "TV show" underminding your education... get it now?

Exactly! And it's not that i'm boosting my ego... i know i don't have the skill enough to fight in UFC. Maybe local shows but not that big time... no self delusions there. Think of it this way... imagine you go to school all your life and bust your ass and make straight a's and you go to harvard law... then a school decides to boost there donations by getting a famous person involved with there school and give some dip shit like Judge judy an honorary doctarate JUST BECAUSE SHE'S FAMOUS? Imagine how shitty you feel after working all that hard to see some chump just get a gift like that and then show a complete lack of solid law on their "TV show" underminding your education... get it now?
    I understand what you are saying, but I can't side with you. You see, I've been a professional athlete and the haters out there, for the most part, are jealous that they don't have the talent the ones who have made it do and refuse to believe it. All I'm saying is instead of pissing on Kimbo, post your local show fights and even your training sessions and let people dissect the talent you are competing against the same way they have for Kimbo.

double posts, sorry!!!!

I understand what you are saying, but I can't side with you. You see, I've been a professional athlete and the haters out there, for the most part, are jealous that they don't have the talent the ones who have made it do and refuse to believe it. All I'm saying is instead of pissing on Kimbo, post your local show fights and even your training sessions and let people dissect the talent you are competing against the same way they have for Kimbo.

I'm not pro... no point in it...but mebe i'll go out there and pick some random dudes and pay em 20 bucs and beat the snot out of em...then people think i am great too!

We'll just agree to disagree. Never trained with anyone who would agree with ya though

*shrug*

I'm not pro... no point in it...but mebe i'll go out there and pick some random dudes and pay em 20 bucs and beat the snot out of em...then people think i am great too!

We'll just agree to disagree. Never trained with anyone who would agree with ya though

*shrug*
    Agreed!! Great debate though!!! I appreciate you remaining civil.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Agreed!! Great debate though!!! I appreciate you remaining civil.
    Like I have said before we(you and I) disagree alot but you bring alot to the board

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter
    I have payed my dues and my mma career is much farther ahead then Kimbo's. I have training partners who would destroy kimbo bro but they haven't gotten exposure kimbo has. Jelous of an ex convict? Hardly. Pissed off becouse promoters(which ever promation) is ****ing over a sport I love? Yes. You have seen Kimbo play by his rules all stand up a "fight" is not all standing. I said he has decent boxing skills but none of a polished fighter. I really like you I think you bring alot of the forum esp in boxing but to say I am jelous of Kimbo, hardly.
    Exactly.
    Well said.

In my opinion Kimbo is nothing but a glorified street fighter.

Mercer is I think in his mid to late 40's and I think this guy will just feed Kimbo the whole fight. At least thats what im hoping happens.

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    And let's not forgot that Kimbo is just getting a fight with Mercer. It's not like he is getting a six figure contract, sponsored, and a title shot with a title holder. It's 1 fight.

And in America, it really doesn't matter what you know or what dues you have paid. It's about who you know and how much money you can make for them. I don't agree with this, but this is the world we live in.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    mercer and kimbo fight is a business plan. kimbo will likely win and its just going to hype him up even more. we will likely see a bunch of fights of average fighters vs kimbo all to build him up and get publicity. what really needs to happen is have a guy with some skill face kimbo and dominate him, and expose his 1 dimensional style so there wont be kimbo threads littering the internet all the time. unfortunately though, kimbos management knows they need to make sure he stays on a good winning streak so they can build up his name so his future fights will all be sub-par fighters, it will be a long time before kimbo ever faces somebody good, all marketing

DavidYork2 is offline Associate Member
    After watching Kimbo's internet vids I have always thought that he was just a big bully, punching the crap out of bums and people who have nevcer thrown a punch before in their lives. The fights he had on the internet were STUPIDLY mismatched, except the Gannon one which was ridiculous because of all the rules Kimbo insisted on.

That said, apparently he has been training REALLY hard in MMA for this so he may actually go somewhere with it. It'll be interesting to see him when he fights a worthy opponent.

musclemd is offline New Member
    Kimbo needs a great trainer

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    I hope Mercer Wins, but to be honest, IMO i think he is to old and will probably loose this fight. I think Mercer will get into the best shape he can, but i still dont think it will be very good shape by his old standards. And Kimbo will come In Decent shape But will still gas out In the later rounds if it goes that far.

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I think of mercer get kimbo on the ground he has the fight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information